• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo America shows how clueless they are about internet things. Supports SOPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
Reggie, I am disappoint.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tcolid=-1&sortasc=true&page=2&rowsperpage=250

http://www.reddit.com/r/SOPA/comments/no51v/response_from_nintendo_of_america_regarding_sopa/

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I’ve forwarded your comments on SOPA to the appropriate departments within the company so that your feedback will be heard.

Please know that Nintendo is strongly in favor of free speech. In fact, the entire video game industry recently fought extremely hard all the way to the Supreme Court to ensure protection of free speech. This past June the Entertainment Software Association won a landmark First Amendment case, Brown (Schwarzenegger) v. Entertainment Merchants Association.

We don’t allow U.S. stores to operate that are dedicated to selling stolen goods. Why should rogue websites that break U.S. law be any different? We need laws to address this reality and are confident Congress can find the right balance in the coming months.

Thank you again. We appreciate hearing what is important to our consumers.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

David Marshall

I know Nintendo have garbage online quality but they really want to drag everything else into the shit pile too, huh? It just shows how ignorant they are to internet stuff. Ah! Gotta stop the piracy! Piracy is bad! Oh wait, it cripples the internet? Censors everything? Oh well, we don't use that shit on our consoles anyway.

People need to stop taking the opinions of the service reps who respond to these emails as the stance of the company...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
All big corporations except those who profit form free internet support SOPA, no news here.

thuway

The suits upstairs are so out of tune with reality, its obscene. Reggie doesn't give fuck a about Xenoblade, Mother 3, or Captain Rainbow. All we knows is - we iz makin' money.

Takao

Banned
Not to jump to conclusions or anything, but I think the Nintendo rep may not fully understand what SOPA meant. It sounds like they thought it refers to selling pirated content online or something...

So are they supporting it monetarily? And are Sony and Microsoft also supporting it?

The problem I see with pointing at Nintendo is that they barely do any online stuff (all of it is very new for them) so it feels like asking a pillow company about some junk food legislation, and, when they give an uninformed, canned response from a PR dude, getting all surprised about it. It's not quite that divorced because Nintendo's catching up, but it doesn't surprise me at all.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Only real relationship that response seems to have with sopa is the first paragraph where it mentions comments are being forwarded to proper departments.

The rest is boilerplate nonsense that barely touches on the core issue.

Darklord

Banned
Do you think MS and Sony don't support it?

So when GoDaddy supports them people boycott them, want to see the company collapse, make a thread wanting evilore to move NeoGAF from them.

...but when Nintendo does it. Ahhh, who cares? They probably all do, right?

KingJ2002

the internet is forcing companies to change their business model to a less profitable one... so they want to stop users from accessing pirated or free content.

ultimately these companies have to come up with a better strategy or find that consumers have moved on to a new medium... where nintendo can't or wont follow.

Futureman

So are they supporting it monetarily? And are Sony and Microsoft also supporting it?

The problem I see with pointing at Nintendo is that they barely do any online stuff (all of it is very new for them) so it feels like asking a pillow company about some junk food legislation, and, when they give an uninformed, canned response from a PR dude, getting all surprised about it.
Their games are pirated through the internet. I'd guess that's the main reason they support it.

So when GoDaddy supports them people boycott them, want to see the company collapse, make a thread wanting evilore to move from them.

If you really want to make a point, you should put up the consolidated list of video game-related companies that support SOPA so that people wouldn't accuse you of bias.

So when GoDaddy supports them people boycott them, want to see the company collapse, make a thread wanting evilore to move NeoGAF from them.

Assuming these two opinions are from the same people. And level of involvement in the bill, and company MO. It's reasonable to be more baffled by GoDaddy's support because they sell domains, for goodness sakes.

EDIT: And it's worthwhile to question why Nintendo is singled out for this thread when the entire industry seems to be in support.

TekDragon

Banned
Difference between verbal support and financial support.

I want to know which companies are financially supporting this garbage.

graywolf323

Apparently, Sony, EA, MS and Apple all support SOPA. So feel free to piss on them too.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/18/nintendo-ea-sony-sponsor-internet-censorship-bill/

that list is entirely misleading since it just claims that every company that's part of an organization that supports SOPA thereby supports SOPA

neither Apple or Microsoft support SOPA (not sure about EA, they at least haven't publicly said anything)

Joystiq said:
Update 2: It appears as though Apple, Microsoft, and a variety of other tech companies are supporting the bill as well via a lobby group, named "The Business Software Alliance."

Business Software Alliance recently withdrew it's support of SOPA over a month ago

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-5...ly-opposes-sopa-copyright-bill/?tag=cnetRiver

Joystiq is not the place to trust on the latest about SOPA, follow the tech community for that (and don't link to a Joystiq article from over a month ago as being up to date on a very volatile subject)

Tron 2.0

But why just a thread calling out Nintendo? On that spreadsheet you linked, Sony is clearly listed as well.

Big One

Banned
Why are we using a generic Nintendo rep e-mail response as representative of a company's stance on something?

This exact same e-mail appears everytime in these, "NINTENDO THINKS THIS. NINTENDO SAYS." no, sorry, that isn't Nintendo, this is an automated response

KKRT00

the internet is forcing companies to change their business model to a less profitable one... so they want to stop users from accessing pirated or free content.

ultimately these companies have to come up with a better strategy or find that consumers have moved on to a new medium... where nintendo can't or wont follow.

How digital distribution makes business less profitable? lol

legacyzero

Banned
The mere mention of Nintendo on NeoGaf would be bannable!

Xerxes-300.jpg

/joke. Seriously, I dont think we can count that as official.

snap0212

I didn't actually see Sony. I saw EA but they aren't the same as Nintendo. Microsoft aren't on it either. You can add Sony then too.

SCE isn't on there. They mention Sony music and all the smaller parts of Sony but SCE isn't on there. Weird.

LiK

that list is entirely misleading since it just claims that every company that's part of an organization that supports SOPA thereby supports SOPA

neither Apple or Microsoft support SOPA (not sure about EA, they at least haven't publicly said anything)

Business Software Alliance recently withdrew it's support of SOPA over a month ago

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-5...ly-opposes-sopa-copyright-bill/?tag=cnetRiver

Joystiq is not the place to trust on the latest about SOPA, follow the tech community for that (and don't link to a Joystiq article from over a month ago as being up to date on a very volatile subject)

article:

It's possible that Microsoft is reluctant to oppose SOPA publicly because it would jeopardize its relationship with Smith, the influential chairman of the House Judiciary committee, which oversees copyright law. Microsoft declined to respond to a query from early yesterday, with a representative saying only that we are "unable to accommodate your request."

well, that makes me feel better...

graywolf323

*Clicks on Google Doc*
*Goes down to NOA*
*Scrolls over to "Verifiable Sources" column. Sees nothing*

Oh right guys, I'M the one who didn't read...

people might want to read my post too instead of just seeing the Joystiq link and replying

I'll put the link to CNET here again

article:

well, that makes me feel better...

doesn't change the fact that Joystiq and other people in here are using the BSA supporting SOPA as the basis of attacking some of these companies despite the fact BSA no longer supports SOPA

I didn't actually see Sony. I saw EA but they aren't the same as Nintendo. Microsoft aren't on it either. You can add Sony then too.
MS and Apple are included in the Business Software Alliance, which supportsed it.

Almost every major player in the tech/entertainment business supports this bill. Trying to turn it into a proxy battle for console war bullshit is silly and overlooks the broader, glaring issue of the corporations (whether it's Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, EA, who cares) limiting your rights.

ed: It's good that some companies are withdrawing their support but I can't help but see it (cynical as it is) as an effort to regain goodwill with their customers, rather than any principled opposition to the bill.

graywolf323

MS and Apple are included in the Business Software Alliance, which supports it.

Almost every major player in the tech/entertainment business supports this bill. Trying to turn it into a proxy battle for console war bullshit is silly and overlooks the broader, glaring issue of the corporations (whether it's Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, EA, who cares) limiting your rights.

oh for pete's sake the Business Software Alliance does NOT support it

edit: for the record I despise SOPA, it's an example of a lot that's wrong with our government and really disappointed my congressman gave a rather indifferent reply to my asking him why he supports it but we shouldn't turn this into some sort of a witch hunt

now the one organization that still supports it is the US Chamber of Commerce which in turn lost several key members over it's support - http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-5...fender-u.s-chamber-of-commerce/?tag=cnetRiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom