• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the first scariest indie/experimental games of 2012 [SCP-087]

IceMarker

Be warned, you will not go down a dark flight of stairs the same way again.

So I came across this on YouTube, looks like a one-man-project to recreate one of the science-fiction stories from the Secure Contain Protect website, very impressive work for such a simple concept. A download link is the the description of the video. He plans on updating it, if the video description is to be believed, I think a lot could be done as this has a lot of potential. Otherwise, after watching the developers video, watch any related Let's Plays for a good intense laugh or two.

--
Edit: Just a pointer that the game has entirely randomized events, including when the game "ends", so a video can be as long as the player takes to proceed down the seemingly endless stairs, it is recommended you skip to the last 2-3 minutes of any video unless the uploader directs otherwise.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I was waiting for somebody to do something with the SCP Foundation stuff. If you haven't seen that website, go to the link in the OP and read through the top-rated entries. Damn good stuff.

Will look at this when I get home.

Myriadis

I already feel uneasy watching the video, mainly because I don't like seeing nothing more but a few meters ahead. It's the same reason I still cannot play the Marathon trilogy.

Rapstah

The best part of this adaption is how that video with the two guys playing it side-by-side over voice chat pretty much perfectly mirrors any of the "transcripts" on the SCP site. So good.

I will never in my entire fucking life get close to playing this.

IceMarker

The best part of this adaption is how that video with the two guys playing it side-by-side over voice chat pretty much perfectly mirrors any of the "transcripts" on the SCP site. So good.

Are you talking about the DarkHawkGaming video(s)? Yeah those are hilarious and the ones I enjoyed the most.

I feel like I've been trolled. 10 Minutes of walking down the stairs? Really?
I kept forward clicking to see if there was something else ahead... lol
Watch the last 3 seconds

And yes, the game has entirely randomized events when it comes to when things happen, so a video on YouTube could be anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours long before a player comes across something and/or the "end". It's best to skip to the last few minutes of a video.

Qwomo

Are you talking about the "Boxman" videos? Yeah those are hilarious and the ones I enjoyed the most.

And yes, the game has entirely randomized events when it comes to when things happen, so a video on YouTube could be anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours long before a player comes across something and/or the "end". It's best to skip to the last few minutes of a video.

Okay that sounds interesting.

Blizzard

Banned
I still have a bunch of SCP entries I meant to read but haven't gotten around to. I basically read the ones listed as most dangerous, but I'm not sure if those are the scariest.

The three SCP-087 stories are good though, and it makes me sad that SCP-087-IV isn't written yet. :(

IceMarker

I still have a bunch of SCP entries I meant to read but haven't gotten around to. I basically read the ones listed as most dangerous, but I'm not sure if those are the scariest.

The three SCP-087 stories are good though, and it makes me sad that SCP-087-IV isn't written yet. :(

I just got done reading SCP-700, you will not be disappointed.

xHAASx

Banned
Ah, it just wanted to give him a hug!

Creepy.
Creepy.png

haha. terrible. just play the shalebridge cradle level in thief 3 instead. it has a flight of stairs towards the end, a bit like this, but a lot better.

Rapstah

I think the complainers are missing the point. It's supposed to be a first-person recreation of a story in the SCP collection. If you haven't read the story, or dislike it, and are watching a video of it, then that's really four fifths of the appeal gone. It doesn't claim to have any appeal to most people. It's not trying to be a high-budget horror game. It's just some developer whipping out a concept demo based off something he read and liked in a day or two.

IceMarker

So what exactly is this SCP stuff? Just scary stories?

The site FAQ will help you out a bit.

I think the complainers are missing the point. It's supposed to be a first-person recreation of a story in the SCP collection. If you haven't read the story, or dislike it, and are watching a video of it, then that's really four fifths of the appeal gone. It doesn't claim to have any appeal to most people. It's not trying to be a high-budget horror game. It's just some developer whipping out a concept demo based off something he read and liked in a day or two.
Pretty much, with that much time I'd go for suspense. In any case if he decides to improve upon it, I think he'll focus on making the randomization a bit tighter, so as to not bore the people actually playing it who end up going 50+ flights.

Blizzard

Banned
Exactly, and as someone else may have mentioned, it makes sense for someone to try a game based off of SCP stuff. Some of it may be silly or cheesy, but some of it should provide some reasonably scary or interesting ideas.

Noogy

I liked it. A little more randomization in the level design would have been nice, but a neat experiment. The end got me.

Haunted

I can honestly say that these are the best looking procedurally generated stairs I've seen in 2012.

The SCP site has a ratings system, just search for the top rated articles.
Ok, if this is the top one what does that say about the rest.

Looking through a couple more on the site, it feels really limiting to have everyone write short horror stories adhering to the same very narrow and strict format.

Pimpbaa

It stopped being creepy after a few minutes when you realize there is no fucking end to the stairs. What a waste of time.

wabo

Banned
- Downstairs Simulator
- Skyscraper Energy Outage
- Lack of Maintenance in Concreteville
- The hug and the beast
- Once upon a step
- Lamp Quest

Top Bottom