• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the first scariest indie/experimental games of 2012 [SCP-087]

xHAASx

Banned
I liked the part with the stairs.

tumblr_lrl519y4E81qdres4.gif

Dascu

Played it until the end (was around floor 85 for me).

Uhm, I'd be lying if I said that it didn't scare me a couple of times.

Sothpaw

The video made a lot more sense to me after I read the SCP. I hadn't heard of the SCP site before this thread and I'm glad I did because I kinda like reading the stories now.

FinKL

Pretty much what the Elevator Source game should of been :| except with more people to tone down the scary factor

Terrell

I could see the whole SCP series as a game. A horror game as told in dry clinical short stories followed by the "field tests" being the game portion itself. Heck, some of them are so succinct that you could make a horror game in the vein of WarioWare from them.

IceMarker

I could see the whole SCP series as a game. A horror game as told in dry clinical short stories followed by the "field tests" being the game portion itself. Heck, some of them are so succinct that you could make a horror game in the vein of WarioWare from them.
WarioWare: Horror'd

I'll take 20

Haunted

Is there a creepypasta recommendation thread or something? That thing is so large by now, beneath all the wannabe X-Files, X-Factor and juvenile escapism power fantasies turning bad bullshit, there should be someone talented contributing, right?

And man... If you guys were freaked out by this, how the hell did you ever survive the age of "screamers" back in the early 00's?
Terribly dark times.

IceMarker

Is there a creepypasta recommendation thread or something? That thing is so large by now, beneath all the wannabe X-Files, X-Factor and juvenile escapism power fantasies turning bad bullshit, there should be someone talented contributing, right?

Probably no one with a degree in literature.

razu

I liked it. Games can scare me something rotten.

I grew up watching Friday the 13th videos, with all those shots with obvious space for something to appear in. You know it's coming, just, you don't know exactly when.

This stairs thing is that same kinda thing, dragged on for so long it's painful...

Cool.

you guys should be a bit more patient, and actually read the entry for this thing

SCP has some really great stuff, and some really bad stuff. This is a great idea though, and I'd love to see more.

I'd do terrible, terrible things for a game that resembles the Navidson record.
That was my first thought after finishing HoL. Is it possible to convey the madness of The Navidson Record in any format other than a novel? Surely film wouldn't work, but a game? YES. My god, a million times YES.

eso76

those 'stair'em up' comments made me laugh, but you really have to read the story first, then you might even appreciate the tension climbing down for 10 minutes with nothing happening.

And that comic..fuck to whoever thought that was a good idea (it was, actually)

Ranger X

Awesome emotion. But if this scene was in a game, the same feeling could have been achieved by 10 stories instead of 42.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Here I was thinking "how scary can it be anyway". loaded a window...

Surprised, I shrieked, and literally slap my laptop shut. Haha. That caught me off guard.

can somebody tell me what is there? I'm not a man enough to look through.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What was that indie game where everything was white and you shot out black blobs to see your path?

Riposte

Is the whole game just stairs?

Is the difference between a videogame and an experimental videogame the fact that the former is an experiment that succeeded and thus doesn't need a special title?

RyanDG

I think this would be better if there was a door on every floor that when you tried to open it, it would tell you that the lock was broken.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I was not familiar wit the SCP series until just now. Very interesting ideas presented there. Kind of cool.

As for the video in the OP I actually did find it engaging despite its simple nature. Reminds me of something you might find in Amnesia.

Lijik

I got bored with walking and discovered I could jump, I started sliding down the rails, bunny hopping around, having a good ol time in Stair Simulator 2012.

Then I hopped backwards down a flight and the game closed. Confused, and not wanting to spend the time redo the game I looked up the ending.

Guys that monster looks like a reject digimon and all it does is wave its arms at you. The Haunted Mansion disney ride is scarier.

Watching the youtube video now. Nope, ain't playin it! I don't even care if nothing happens, that dark ambient noise stuff is enough to put me out of commission. I finished Amnesia with relatively minor heart ache, but this shit ain't happening.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I'm digging the House of Leaves inspired SCP story. The game is kinda neat...great concept for sure. Horrible controls though! And my god, hide the mouse cursor! So distracting!

Code:
Screen.showCursor = false;

So easy! Exclamations abound!!

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to encounter SCP-087-1. I don't want him to look at me.
ifTexUcZZGK9z.gif

Top Bottom