• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the first scariest indie/experimental games of 2012 [SCP-087]

Venfayth

It stopped being creepy after a few minutes when you realize there is no fucking end to the stairs. What a waste of time.

After reading the scp thing about it, and actually seeing the end of the video, I think watching it again would be a lot creepier.

cbox

spooky but the character design looked really goofy at the end... I need more amnesia in my life!

Mupod

:/
My friend just sent this comic to me. I found that it's more scary.
http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=350217&no=31&weekday=tu

translatenope.png

So I jumped to the last 2 min of the video and played it from there, couldnt watch it full screen cause it started to freak me out so I minimized it, its pretty intense walking down stairs with only a flashlight, he started looking around more towards the end....definitely freaked me out.

dk_

*Video starts* Ah door... *skips* ... stairs ... *skips* ... stairs ... *skips* ... stairs ... *skips* ... stairs ... *video ends*.

Apath

That was pretty dumb. I watched for the first fourish minutes, waiting for something to happen. Then I started jumping ahead. The ending was not adequate pay off. -_-

Platy

Would not play this even if it didn't had that thing in the end .... too scared =x

Wich reminds me ... anyone have that "survival horror / action horror" image ?

IceMarker

I actually just downloaded and played it, it ended/shat my pants relatively quick at floor 27. No shadow flicker type deals, but yeah, never playing that again.

mTe7L.gif

Ok, if this is the top one what does that say about the rest.

Looking through a couple more on the site, it feels really limiting to have everyone write short horror stories adhering to the same very narrow and strict format.

LOL

yeah, I'm writing this scp garbage off as terrible. read the stairwell thing and this turd.

Scythian

:/
My friend just sent this comic to me. I found that it's more scary.
http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=350217&no=31&weekday=tu

A warning: Don't click on this.

LOL

yeah, I'm writing this scp garbage off as terrible. read the stairwell thing and this turd.

After reading a couple, I like them, they're pretty imaginative, and I personally like this kind of horror. Describing things makes me imagine them, not giving me too much information either, which makes it creepy. Kinda like creepypasta, written in a special way.

goddamnit, it took me over 5 minutes until i realized i was wasting my time.

rather pointless, and too experimental. also Silent Hill 2 already did the whole "descending for an uncomfortable amount of time" thing much better.

SpeedStair. Next-gen is here.

lol :D

tok

Neo Member
On a scale of F.E.A.R. to Amnesia: Dark Descent, that game was an Atari 2600 Haunted House.

Risible

On a scale of F.E.A.R. to Amnesia: Dark Descent, that game was an Atari 2600 Haunted House.

Oh snap.

I think it has potential, but in it's current incarnation it's flawed. Could be creepy as fuck given some work.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Lulz. The Korean comic has made its way over from the OT. We must have had a zillion threads featuring that comic and people are still freaked out by it haha

I made a quick scroll through the page. Is the worst part the girl with the eyes or does it get worse? THen it made this stupid camera flicker sound.

I made a quick scroll through the page. Is the worst part the girl with the eyes or does it get worse? THen it made this stupid camera flicker sound.

It's a jump scare, since you don't expect the comic to be animated. When you scroll down past a certain point, the zombie woman dashes towards the screen and fills its entirety

And man... If you guys were freaked out by this, how the hell did you ever survive the age of "screamers" back in the early 00's?

Cmagus

11 minutes of walking down stairs.... The idea is neat but they should expand on it like make the player leave the stairwell and traverse through some decrepit environment where creepy things would happen around you to the next set of stairs or something. If they could include something like Fatal Frame there is tons of potential here but right now that video was really uninteresting neat concept though.

Mikey Jr.

It's a jump scare, since you don't expect the comic to be animated. When you scroll down past a certain point, the zombie woman dashes towards the screen and fills its entirety

And man... If you guys were freaked out by this, how the hell did you ever survive the age of "screamers" back in the early 00's?

HAHAHA, HOLY FUCK!! IT IS!!!1

I had javascript disabled on the page, so nothing happened. But then I tried it again, and holy fuck. HAHAHAHA.

neat concept, could use a few more of the things described in the SCP entry itself, but i liked it.

would definitely like to see more short games based on other SCP entries.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
FINALLY

someone put procedural generation into horror. Now he needs to expand on it and make shitton of money

eldoon

This game seems interesting but its concept is like ski free where the a monster gets you at the end every game.

I like the part with the stairs.

As for that comic linked in. Yeah I saw it a few months ago, was some creepy shit, especially when you don't expect it to be animated.

sp3000

One of the most awesome game environments would be a House of Leaves sort of hallway, which continually shifts and morphs in different forms. Who here has actually read it anyway

Melchiah

http://phobias.about.com/od/phobiaslist/a/bathmophobia.htm
Bathmophobia, or fear of slopes or stairs, is a somewhat complicated phobia. It is quite similar to climacophobia, or fear of climbing stairs, except in its specific focus. In bathmophobia, the sufferer may panic when simply observing a steep slope, while those with climacophobia typically experience symptoms only when expected to actually climb or descend. The difference is subtle but important, and can only be accurately diagnosed by a trained clinician.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
11 minutes of walking down stairs, and 2-3 seconds of Slender Man. Pants were not shat.

One of the most awesome game environments would be a House of Leaves sort of hallway, which continually shifts and morphs in different forms. Who here has actually read it anyway

I have the book, but I have yet to read it ._.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So what exactly is this SCP stuff? Just scary stories?

Not necessarily scarily. There is also stuff that is just creepy, or weird, or intellectually interesting, or funny.

The SCP Foundation is a fictional organization based on the premise that paranormal stuff needs to be kept from the public, whether because it's an actual dangerous object or because of the psychological impact of having objects or creatures around that don't fit the way the world is supposed to work.

The SCP wiki is essentially a series of entries about anomalous objects/creatures/people/beings, presented in the form of dry, dispassionate files that describe how the object in question should be contained, what it is, and its effects on the world around it. The objects are usually classified as "Safe", "Euclid" or "Keter" class based on how dangerous or widespread the effects are. These are often supplemented with testing logs or incident reports that bring out the true nature of the SCP object.

There are also just straight up stories posted there, that are based on the SCP objects and organization.

An SCP can be anything from a weird creepy statue that kills you if you stop looking at it (sup Doctor Who fans), to the odd staircase in the OP, to a machine that "refines" any object you put into it based on the setting of a dial, to a toaster that makes you talk about it in the first person, to a play, to a train ticket, to (of course) Bigfoot.

One of my favorites is SCP-093, which starts out as a rock that is strongly attracted to mirrors, but gets damn weird by the end.

xHAASx

Banned
Not necessarily scarily. There is also stuff that is just creepy, or weird, or intellectually interesting, or funny.

The SCP Foundation is a fictional organization based on the premise that paranormal stuff needs to be kept from the public, whether because it's an actual dangerous object or because of the psychological impact of having objects or creatures around that don't fit the way the world is supposed to work.

The SCP wiki is essentially a series of entries about anomalous objects/creatures/people/beings, presented in the form of dry, dispassionate files that describe how the object in question should be contained, what it is, and its effects on the world around it. The objects are usually classified as "Safe", "Euclid" or "Keter" class based on how dangerous or widespread the effects are. These are often supplemented with testing logs or incident reports that bring out the true nature of the SCP object.

There are also just straight up stories posted there, that are based on the SCP objects and organization.

An SCP can be anything from a weird creepy statue that kills you if you stop looking at it (sup Doctor Who fans), to the odd staircase in the OP, to a machine that "refines" any object you put into it based on the setting of a dial, to a toaster that makes you talk about it in the first person, to a play, to a train ticket, to (of course) Bigfoot.

One of my favorites is SCP-093, which starts out as a rock that is strongly attracted to mirrors, but gets damn weird by the end.

Eery shit.

Top Bottom