• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best way to play X-wing/TIE Fighter on a modern PC?

Chairhome

Nostalgia bug has hit me. I have never finished X-Wing, TIE Fighter or VS. They seem to be relatively cheap to purchase on ebay. Do I just rip it and play it using DOSbox or something? I've never tried older games like this before. Which of the games is the best? I know a proper joystick/flight stick would be the best to use, but can I use xpadder to map (most) controls to a 360 controller? Thanks.

Have you finished X-Wing Alliance? That one is easier to setup and play on a modern PC I think.

Theres also Windows versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter that have updated graphics but lose their dynamic music soundtrack.

Chairhome

Have you finished X-Wing Alliance? That one is easier to setup and play on a modern PC I think.

Theres also Windows versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter that have updated graphics but lose their dynamic music soundtrack.

hmm, I actually forgot about X-wing Alliance, thanks. I might check that one out.

WillyFive

It may have to be Virtual PC.

There are fan-created mods that can replace the executable with one that will function on modern computers, but it's a pain to set up.

Peggies

Gold Member
Do I just rip it and play it using DOSbox or something?
Yes, worked for me. With both X-Wing and TIE Fighter i recommend getting the "Collector's CD-ROMs" of the original versions.

Which of the games is the best?
TIE Fighter.

I know a proper joystick/flight stick would be the best to use, but can I use xpadder to map (most) controls to a 360 controller? Thanks.
I recommend trying that, yes. You can steer using the mouse, but it's annoying as hell.

Man, seeing this makes me wish there was a version of Tie Fighter Collector Series (the one with X-Wing vs Tie Fighter's flight engine) that had the original's interactive music.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Have you checked out Freeworlds? It's probably going to be the closest we'll get to an X-wing/Tie Fighter space sim this generation. Really looking forward to it as the team has done a great job updating the Freelancer engine.

MutFox

Banned
I really miss this genre... :(
Loved being able to toggle everything in the ship...
The multiplayer in X-Wing VS TIE Fighter was pretty fun.

Top Bottom