• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*removed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
404 error on the pics..

Gavavva

Banned
Yeah, looks like he copy/pasted the text in the PM and no the actual message, which would have been formatted correctly with correct URL's and img tags :p I'm sure he'll fix it soon. Shame I couldn't just post it myself, but oh well, needs must :p

Gavavva

Banned
Yeah, my bad - I copy pasted from his PM which broke the links.

Should be fixed now.

Could you not just copy/paste my original text that I sent? It included the correct img tags and things, makes it a tad nicer than a boring wall of text lol.

Wunder

Sounds awesome, unfortunately a lot of the links have been wrongly hyperlinked so they come out weirdly. Premise sounds interesting though!

Sethos

Banned
Could you not just copy/paste my original text that I sent? It included the correct img tags and things, makes it a tad nicer than a boring wall of text lol.

PM breaks all the tags and whatnot, I just copied it directly from the PM which I shouldn't have.

Fixed now.

I have a hangover, so I'm not in tip top shape here, sorry :p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I think it looks great :)!

Also worth pointing out that it's going to be free ( or did I misinterpret it in the screenshot thread ? )

Mik2121

Looking great, Gavavva. Guess the engine got modified to hell and back, right?

Only thing I'd point out would be the ivy not looking very natural. Other than that, it's looking neat!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
can't believe it's id tech 2.

Shadows are crisp, textures are high-res.

WHEN IS IT OUT?

od_polycount_0.jpg

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see it got its own separate thread. Looks great and sound interesting. I'll definitely check it out once it's available to a wider audience.

Gavavva

Banned
On the topic of the Ivy, yeah don't worry I haven't done even half of whats needed in that pic there, and even less in the bathroom style areas. So yeah, just ignore the fact it looks a bit wonky there :p

No Wizards, but Nicolas is pretty damn motivated when it comes to his code. He's taken the engine to hell and back, re-wrote most of it, its like 99% fresh new code. Per pixel lighting, shadow mapping, cascaded shadow maps, sub surface scattering, rim lighting, ambient occlusion, depth of field, colour correction/grading, parallax occlusion mapping, depth textures (zFeather), real time reflections at different resolutions depending on what you need, a full material system complete with shader quality specific stages that allow us to create different effects based on game quality, real time light shafts with ray traced shadows, a full GUI system, high poly models with tagging and md5 animation system, full EAX/Open AL sound, a FULL original from the ground up tool system including tools for textures, materials, sounds, HD .RoQ video, map compilers and level editor... The list goes on.

Suffice to say... We have done a lot, and 99% of that is on a two man team. Its only now we added another guy, lol... So always looking for more help.

Oh and yes, as mentioned, OverDose is going to be FREE.

Mik2121

I really like how it looks. Why does it look so good?

Probably because it isn't constrained like all the console multiplatform games (this game probably wouldn't run very smooth on consoles, what with all the stuff going on that he mentioned). Console games' assets look GREAT too, it's the problem with lighting, image resolution, texture resolution limits, etc.. that makes them not look as hot.

Also, the fact that's only 2 guys and not a team of 100 people trying to put all their own ideas together :p

Holy crap this game looks absolutely amazing. I was thinking that it was at least running on the Quake 4 engine until I saw that it's running on ID Tech 2. I can't believe these visuals came from Quake 2's engine.

I am seriously impressed and I'll be following the project. :)

Haunted

Looks quite lovely.

I really like how it looks. Why does it look so good?
We're rapidly approaching (moving past...) the point where even a very small team concentrating on PC can put out graphics that rival big budget developers constrained by outdated console hardware.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Looks quite lovely.

We're rapidly approaching (moving past...) the point where even a very small team concentrating on PC can put out graphics that rival big budget developers constrained by outdated console hardware.

The question is why does it look so good on the Quake 2 engine.

Gavavva

Banned
No code from Doom 3's recent release is in these shots. The D3 code released only recently.

We built the OverDose engine on top of our older engine, the Quake II Evolved engine (Which we also made, PPL for Quake 2). Yeah, thats us, same team.

You have to remember what an engine is... Just because this is the Quake 2 engine, it doesn't mean it has to look exactly like that. Rage is the Quake 1 engine, don't forget. Call of Duty 4/MW2/BLOPS/MW3 is the Quake 3 Arena engine. Hell, Brink is the id Tech 4 engine, so is Prey 2, so is New Wolf.

We simply went in, used it as a base, and re-wrote parts... Then those parts becamse sections... And those sections became most of it. We have a brand new rendering engine, brand new networking code, its all NEW code. Its not really fair to say its Quake 2 any more, but that was our base.

Tenck

No code from Doom 3's recent release is in these shots. The D3 code released only recently.

We built the OverDose engine on top of our older engine, the Quake II Evolved engine (Which we also made, PPL for Quake 2). Yeah, thats us, same team.

You have to remember what an engine is... Just because this is the Quake 2 engine, it doesn't mean it has to look exactly like that. Rage is the Quake 1 engine, don't forget. Call of Duty 4/MW2/BLOPS/MW3 is the Quake 3 Arena engine. Hell, Brink is the id Tech 4 engine, so is Prey 2, so is New Wolf.

We simply went in, used it as a base, and re-wrote parts... Then those parts becamse sections... And those sections became most of it. We have a brand new rendering engine, brand new networking code, its all NEW code. Its not really fair to say its Quake 2 any more, but that was our base.

That sounds amazing, and you guys should be stoked to have such an awesome programmer. My head spins just trying to figure out how much problems he might have gone through, or how many hours it took to finally get everything working like it is right now.

Gavavva

Banned
I don't even want to think about code... I have a hard enough time keeping track of writing all my materials... Hes got the game AND the tools to keep track of... Blows my mind...

This looks great. The screen shots make me want to explore the game world just as much as the screen shots of the first Bioshock did for me, with Rapture. Love the lighting and the style, keep it up!

Gavavva said:
Oh and yes, as mentioned, OverDose is going to be FREE.

Madness!

AlStrong

Oh... I knew I recognized that name... I used to be on their forums over 5 years ago. :p Glad to see this finally come out.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
so, no release window? I mean I understand that it is free but it would be nice to know when alpha is avalaible at least. I think I'll donate since you have donate page up.

You should probably kickstart it lol

Gavavva

Banned
No release date, ew are very much the grandkids of id Software... When its done :p

Theres a playable alpha we hand around mind you.

Gavavva

Banned
Hahaha, but its very bare, still so much WIP. Keep in mind we only just finished the renderer, and are only now moving onto some proper game code. While you can load up the maps and walk around, even create your own servers and have people join... Don't expect much more. One coder = A ball ache of a work load.

Donations are always welcome, and of course allow us to buy things that help OverDose progress, like new shoes. Nicolas always needs new shoes bless him, hes from Argentina and lives in a little mud hut. He has to travel 76 miles every morning just to take a piss :(

Rekubot

That sounds amazing, and you guys should be stoked to have such an awesome programmer. My head spins just trying to figure out how much problems he might have gone through, or how many hours it took to finally get everything working like it is right now.
You said it better than I ever could. This is insane. Why release it for free? Just building up your portfolios?

great stuff. the secret to a great looking game remains high res textures and good lighting. looking forwards to learning and seeing more.

Gavavva

Banned
Well we know for certain that the first alpha/beta that goes out to the public will be free, but we have a LOT of plans, and we do hope to one day move to something like Steam to get the game out there. With a totally unproven name, brand and team, we cant just jump right into the whole selling game sadly. We would rather as many people play it first of all and get a feel for it, then if we decide that its even worth selling, THEN we will look into that.

The general idea we are aiming for is:

Alpha > Beta > Update as much as possible to get better feedback > Sell over Steam if popular enough > If THATS popular enough, move onto the follow up, which is a coop themed single player style game with story.

But of course, theres no point talking about selling something that nobody may even want or be interested in, so for the moment we are just happy if people like it enough to want to see more lol! And it doesn't help with having such a small team, because we can never give an actual real release date other than "when its done".

But oh yes... It will be done.

Limanima

Well, i'm developing a game with also a team of two, i'm totally aware o f the amount of work that it takes to do something like this. All i can say is that you guys are totally crazy for making this. It looks insanely good.
Keep up dudes, don't give up!!

Gavavva

Banned
Kickstarter does have me interesting, but how would I evne begin to put a value on this? Its like, I'll take ONE BILLLLLLION DOLLARRRRSSSSSSSS, and then I don't meet it and get nothing? But then, I put one hundred quid, meet it, and get it, but that doesn't fund anything... Gonna have to look into seeing if I should go with it.

What are your thoughts on this, you guys clearly have experience or at least knowledge of it I don't? Do you think its a good idea for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom