• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Stellar Blade has racist artwork which will be removed with the day one patch

Draugoth

Gold Member
Sony says it will remove Stellar Blade artwork that appears to reference racist slurs, claiming that the phrase's inclusion was "unintentional."

The art, which appears to combine two visual elements into a single phrase, was discovered during the review process. It can be seen in the screenshot below.

screenshot-2024-04-23-13-49-43-1713905553711.png

In Stellar Blade, the "R Shop" references Roxanne, who is one of the game's information brokers. The "Hard" graffiti, meanwhile, can be found in numerous areas throughout the game. In a statement released to IGN, PlayStation said that developer Shift Up had no intention of creating offensive artwork, promising to remove it as part of Stellar Blade's Day 1 patch.

Via IGN

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Titanic is an R.
RoboCop is a "hard R."

It's a movie thing but in the west it's also about describing how certain people say the N-Word.

This game is getting a lot of free publicity these days with all the edginess. XD

Last edited:

tmlDan

Whats racist about it? I don't see/get it. Can anyone explain?
It's not racist at all, its a coincidence that they are side by side.

Hard R is just a non-offensive way of referring to the N word with the -er at the end, without saying it.

Usually used like this: "Can't believe they used the hard R".

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If racism is your immediate thought seeing this, you need help from a mental professional.
Yep, I'm a black dude and didn't notice what was the problem until somebody said it. That's reeaally reaching there. My first thought was "Hard Rock" but I guess the other one works too.

Still, I can't help but think if it were in any other game, no one would have said anything about it. Journalists have a hateboner for that game and look for reasons to put it down.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah.. someone will have to explain it to me ... im not american and im not black.. so please.. let me me know why I have to be careful saying hard R

It is about the "N word". "N*gga please" is an example of something some black people say to each other. A racist who calls someone a "n*gger" with the R sound at the end instead of the A sound......that's the "Hard R". Usually referenced by comedians and such.

Bill Burr's standpoint routine has a great example:

Last edited:
Top Bottom