• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some sci-fi anime movies - STAY OUT PEDOGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truant

Before I go further, I just want to say I'm really biased against anime and manga in general, but I try to be open when someone with good taste recommends me stuff.

So I just finished watching Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, and I really dug it. Awesome blend of fantasy and sci-fi. I want more. I've seen the basic mainstream stuff that everybody knows, but I'll list it just in case.

I'm leaning more towards sci-fi, but I can bear some fantasy stuff if it's done well. Dubbing is also acceptable if it's good, but preferably I need subtitles.

Samurai Champloo is supposed to be good, so maybe I'll check that out. I don't really have the time for a series, so try to stick to movies.

Stuff I like:

Cowboy Bebop
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ghibli stuff
Priest (Manga, I know, but you get the point)

Stuff I hate:

Naruto
Any pedo trash with little girls
Death Note

Sylver

Banned
Ghibli sci-fi? I don't get your pov then XD.

Take a look on Jin-Roh and not sci-fi but thriller watch Perfect Blue.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Redline
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Patlabor
Only Yesterday
Gauche the Cellist
Angel's Egg
Wings of Honneamise
Sword of the Stranger

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
you really need to watch Summer Wars

cover_summer_wars_jp.jpg

dosh

Well, you could try other movies by Kawajiri (he directed Bloodlust). Stuff like City Oedo or Wicked City. They probably didn't age wery well though. His best work remains Ninja Scroll: dark medieval Japan with lots of strange characters (some of them he even reused in Bloodlust).

Other than that, I'd say Blue Submarine 6 (even if the cg parts look really old now), Steamboy (by Otomo; a really, really nice movie, although a bit too long) and if you follow Ratrat advice, watch Paprika and like it, you should probably take a look at other things by Satoshi Kon, like Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent (not really sci-fi, more like weird thrillers, but still awesome).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How crazy are you willing to go? Because,

dead_leaves_coverp9kav.jpg

Is fucking awesome. The trailer sums it up nicely.

Your tastes seem to be somewhat similar to mine, so maybe this would work. Most of these have been mentioned before, but what the hell:

Anything by Mamoru Oshii:
Paprika
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
Millenium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers (homeless transvestite + dumpster baby = win)
Paranoia Agent (series, but well worth it)

Jin Roh
Metropolis (eye candy galore)

DEO3

I can't recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes enough.

From the SA thread:

MeVtC.jpg

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a long-running science-fiction / space opera / epic war anime series based on the novel series of the same name written by Yoshiki Tanaka. It was released direct to video from 1988 to 1997, spanning a movie and 110 episodes, making it one of the longest (if not the longest) OVAs of all time.

In the 35th Century, mankind has spread throughout the galaxy. And where man travels, war is sure to follow, and the space is no different. Two factions, the Galactic Empire and the Free Planets Alliance have been fighting a fruitless and tireless war for 150 years with little indication of one side actually gaining ground. The war effort has been reduced to a political staging ground, where the rhetoric of politicians and nobles send millions to their deaths to further their own goals on the home front. Neither side seems particularly interested in changing the status quo, and instead exploit it for their own greedy profit.

But the these turbulent times are soon to change with the rise of two men on either side: Reinhard von Lohengramm, a young upstart of a noble with revolutionary ideals for the Empire and a desire to rescue his older sister from a tragic fate, and Yang Wenli, a humble yet irregular man who yearned to become a Historian, but found himself forced into the FPA military to pay the way for it...only discover himself rapidly rising in the ranks due to his superior skill in strategy and tactics. Amidst a sea of corruption and backstabbing, these two men and their allies will clash against each other in a stagnant war that is soon to see some drastic changes...

It's perhaps the space opera to end all space operas. At the very least, I doubt any argument can be made that there has been any sort of endeavor in animation nearly on the level of this. Despite a long length of 110 episodes, there is virtually no filler, and the production values remain strong throughout. The soundtrack consists entirely of classical music (and many original, classically style tracks), giving the series an sophisticated feel that fits the visuals well. As the popular TVIV simulwatch showcased, the appeal of this series that is truly universal...the only requirement being a want of science-fiction to begin with.

Since the series is unlicensed, and sadly will probably remain that way, you can watch it pretty much anywhere - including youtube.

Check out the pilot movie, My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, and if you're left wanting more continue onto the series. The first two episodes of the series were combined into another movie, Overture to a New Battle. Both are available here.

You've gotten several good recommendations in here, and I strongly support checking out Mamoru Oshii films such as Beautiful Dreamer and Satoshi Kon films such as Millennium Actress. Memories is also a fantastic compilation film that I can't recommend strongly enough. Here's a few more movies that haven't been mentioned yet:

Chie the Brat (talking cats dueling in a graveyard is fantasy enough, right?)
Dirty Pair: Project Eden (TV and OVA series also worth checking out if you have the time)
Gintama: The Movie (TV series is incredibly long, but worth checking out)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War (if this beginning to the story intrigues you enough, you can continue with the well-done OVA series)
One Piece Movie 6: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (does not require prior knowledge of the franchise)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
The Place Promised in our Early Days
Time of Eve

Risette

A Good Citizen
OP said:
Samurai Champloo is supposed to be good, so maybe I'll check that out. I don't really have the time for a series, so try to stick to movies.

If he says that after mentioning Samurai Champloo then I don't think he has time for a series that's nearly 5 times as long

dosh

They haven't aged well at all because they were never good in the first place, and I'd advise him to stay away from Ninja Scroll unless he's really into stupid, gratuitous rape & violence.

I kinda liked them when I was 15: the City Oedo OAV with the pink cyborg was really fun to watch, and Ninja Scroll has some awesome fighting scenes. Can't really remember stupid, gratuitous rape, but yes, I can see how it's just mindless violence. Rather fun though, and worth mentionning since OP seemed to love Kawajiri's Bloodlust.

BluWacky

So... is there any anime where men are men, instead of women without breasts?

What makes a man a man?

Do you mean men in a Dragonball Z sense of beating stuff up with giant muscles, or men in a Golgo 13 sense of screwing around and shooting people, or in an Antique Bakery sense of running a successful bakery (men, for whatever reason, dominate the cooking industry), or what?

Suairyu

Banned
promisedplaceboxykl2w.jpg

I had the absolute pleasure of catching this during an special event in a London cinema. It's very difficult to think about this film objectively because I was 18 at the time and still very impressionable with a head ready to be filled with new ideas and all that but I have vivid memories of how deeply I affected by this film, both emotionally and intellectually.

Last year I challenged those memories by watching it again. There's no way I was going to be hit by it anywhere near as hard as an 18 year old would, but it still touched me. There's real character depth here, everyone seeming slightly nostalgic and realistically world weary in a way that isn't depressing.

The direction is very affecting, though also quite naive. Scenes play out like their own vignettes, sometimes you'll get fades-to-black halfway through a scene, just because it feels right for the emotion to crescendo at that point, before the scene fades back in and resumes. It's not a technique I'd ever recommend any director to actually use, yet here it works for some reason, perhaps simply because the creators didn't realise they weren't meant to edit scenes like that, yet still possessed enough artistic taste to just about pull it off.

I'll be honest with you, OP; I don't know how much my recent re-watch was twinged with nostalgia and memory. I do know that from my very first viewing the experience felt oddly nostalgic, and that now confuses my thoughts upon re-watching the film. I just cannot divorce myself from being 18 well enough to give any form of objective statement about the film.

But I recommend it. I recommend it whole-heartedly.

edit - also, did you watch the second Ghost In The Shell film, Innocence? Very different to the first, to the point it wasn't even going to be given the title Ghost In The Shell at first. Shares the same characters, minus the Major, and is set some years after the original. Where the original film asks "at what point does intelligence become life?" in terms of super-advanced AIs, the second film asks digs down deeper into the idea of our creations being reflections of ourselves. It was also, I think, one of the first anime films to get the CG-3D and cell fusion just right. Very beautiful film to this day.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What makes a man a man?

Do you mean men in a Dragonball Z sense of beating stuff up with giant muscles, or men in a Golgo 13 sense of screwing around and shooting people, or in an Antique Bakery sense of running a successful bakery (men, for whatever reason, dominate the cooking industry), or what?
The manliest animu I've ever watched is Usagi Drop and it has none of that shit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I recommend Outlaw Star, based on the stuff you've already said you like. It's one of my favorites and while you may not like it, it's got some great characters and story moments in there.

Oh and Trigun. Weird, I feel like I just made this exact post in a very similar thread very recently... what's going on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom