• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me anime please.

Apocryphon

I haven't watched anime in years, but I just got done with Love, Death & Robots and it has prompted me to ask for some recommendations as to what real anime I have missed out on. I don't think have watched anything since Ergo Proxy.

My first experiences with anime and the stuff I have most enjoyed were Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Patlabor, Appleserd, Kite, Mezzo Forte, Grave of the Fireflies, Perfect Blue, Elfen Lied, Dominion Tank Police and 3x3 Eyes.

I have seen Metropolis, Ergo Proxy, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, the sequels to Ghost in the Shell (inc the SAC series) and Appleseed, Dead Leaves, some other Ghibli stuff and a bunch of what I guess is hentai; Urotsukidoji, La Blue Girl etc.

I have tried to get into Cowboy Bepop and NGE but struggled and gave up, and I can't stand Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragon Ball, One Piece...

I like the late 80s, early 90s art styles and I think I prefer movies and limited series to stuff that has a shitlod of episodes. It's probably odd but I prefer stuff with proportional humans with realistic-ish faces, prefer stuff that's relatively grounded, don't like western looking characters, and really appreciate good production values. I like violence and nudity, mechs, sci-fi and cyberpunk stuff, monsters and ninjas are ok, and anything that has incredibly detailed masterpiece montages like these..

This also remains the best trailer for Japanese animation Inhave ever seen. I never for bored of watching this shit..

So make some recommendations please. List what you like of you want but I'm really looking for a list of stuff that you think I would like given what Inhave told you.

Ta :)

Shantae

Banned
I don't know what style or genre you're looking for, or if you're just looking for a movie or a whole series. That being said, I gotta recommend two of the best anime I've seen in the past few years, and they're by the same film maker.

Your Name. (kimi no na wa)
and

Weathering with you (tenki no ko)

Like I said, they're both made by the same film maker, so they're both kinda similar in theme and tone, but I loved both of them. They have gorgeous animation, and lovely stories that just really touched my heart.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but had to share anyway.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
In recent years I enjoyed One Punch Man and Saiki K.

And by "enjoyed" I mean "I took the time to sit down and watch it and I genuinely enjoyed it instead of turning it off after the first episode like I do for most anime shows".

You mentioned Perfect Blue, well... go through all of Satoshi Kon's work : Millennium Actress (2001), Tokyo Godfathers (2003) and Paprika (2006).
Don't forget the smaller bits, like Magnetic Rose, the first segment of Memories (1995).
Nor his insane TV serie, Paranoia Agent (2004).

And then come back to mourn with us, for losing one of the greatest directors ever.

-Update-
Jin-Roh (1999) :

Last edited:

Naibel

I am a big fan of Masaaki Yuasa's work, one of the better anime directors of this last decade. His style is an acquired taste, but tame and predictable stuff this ain't it !

Tatami Galaxy
Ping Pong The Animation
Night Is Short, Walk on Girl
Devilman Crybaby (even tho, I am a more "eeehhh" on that one)

Other than that, Kids On The Slope is fantastic, Baccano is great and Steins:Gate is a classic. Those are my picks for the more modern anime.

I've heard the last Attack On Titan season is incredible, might check that one out.

You mentioned Perfect Blue, well... go through all of Satoshi Kon's work : Millennium Actress (2001), Tokyo Godfathers (2003) and Paprika (2006).
Don't forget the smaller bits, like Magnetic Rose, the first segment of Memories (1995).

And then come back to mourn with us, for losing one of the greatest directors ever.

Amen brotha, what a genius he was...

Last edited:
I prefer stuff with proportional humans with realistic-ish faces, prefer stuff that's relatively grounded, don't like western looking characters, and really appreciate good production values. I like violence and nudity, mechs, sci-fi and cyberpunk stuff,

You want to watch Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans. Thank me later. (It doesn't require any previous Gundam-knowledge, it's standalone)

One Punch Man is the best anime I've ever seen, but I don't watch tons of it.

One I saw recently that was surprisingly awesome was Aggretsuko. The characters are all really interesting, and the central premise of needing to find an outlet for latent emotional rage is something to which everyone can relate. It's absolutely hilarious. I binged it in no time. (The two seasons on Netflix.)

tumblr_pbftrvRHIB1xrqgt2o1_500.gif

supernova8

Banned
I remember watching an odd anime called Chobits. About a robot that a guy buys and falls in love with and then... you'll just have to watch it.

Alternatively, Pokemon? or Detective Conan?

in before Bible Black lol

but for real thou, Outlaw Start might fit your taste. same with One Punch Man.

and since you like Ghost In The Shell, you should also check out the GITS: Stand Alone Complex. it's a 2 seasons TV series that have some of the original's elements but expanded on a lot of other things.

you said you don't like Full Metal Alchemist, may I ask which one did you watch? the original or Brotherhood? the original only follows the manga story up to a point and then it just made up a lot of the stuff afterwards. some people like it and some people don't. Brotherhood is the new one that completely follows the manga story and has an ending that make sense plus better graphics, so I would say try it out.

for movies, Red Line is a must for you since it has everything you like, hot girls, fast cars, things going boom, and great art. you ever watch Akira? it still to this day remains a gorgeous piece of film art and I feel that if you had not watch it, you really should.

in terms of more recent animes, a lot of what's popular these days are all isekai stuff (ie the main protagonist got transfer into another, often fantasy setting world) and often rather trashy if I'm honest. but there are some good ones.

GATE, an anime about the Japanese SDF army going into another world that's basically fantasy ancient Rome is kinda fun imo. Saga of Tanya the Evil is also kinda interesting (WWII with magic) and might be your taste. Overlord, That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime, The Rising Of The Shield Hero are some of the better ones in the isekai genre too.

Code Geass is a must watch for that WTF alone (thou not everyone likes the art). Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Demon Slayer and My Hero Academia, along with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (some might not like the first season, which covers part 1 & 2's story, but once you're in season 2 which starts part 3, it gets really good) are also pretty good over all. same goes for Gobliy Slayer. The Irregular At Magic High School is kinda trashy in a good way. Log Horizon is the better virtual MMORPG anime, so watch that instead of Sword Art Online if you're into that idea. for some fan service, try Kill La Kill, Highschool Of The Dead, Monster Musume (this one is more of an aquire taste) and Keiko!!!.

pretty much all of the above can be found on Crunchyroll so that's a start.

-Update-
Jin-Roh (1999) :

also this

I remember watching an odd anime called Chobits. About a robot that a guy buys and falls in love with and then... you'll just have to watch it.

Chobits is kinda hit or miss depends on the person's taste, I feel.

Last edited:
One I saw recently that was surprisingly awesome was Aggretsuko. The characters are all really interesting, and the central premise of needing to find an outlet for latent emotional rage is something to which everyone can relate. It's absolutely hilarious. I binged it in no time. (The two seasons on Netflix.)

tumblr_pbftrvRHIB1xrqgt2o1_500.gif

Hi Score Girl for some Video Game love and references.

73c.jpg

Aggretsuko reminded me of myself at work.

Last edited:
Space Dandy is a good one not yet mentioned. Another of my favorite animes is a corny one called Food Wars! (really like the foodgasms). Also the first 3 seasons of Full Metal Panic are worth watching and have great english dubs if you are into that.

Paasei

First season of Death Note is so far the best I've seen. That was simply amazing.
Doesn't mean too much, because I have seen like 10 anime shows at most.

johntown

Banned
Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood
Hellsing Ultimate
Death Note
Claymore
Dragonball Z
Star Blazers
Attack on Titan
Berserk (90's version)
Baccano
Stein's Gate
Outlaw Star
Castlevania on Netflix
Tokyo Ghoul
Black Butler
Code Geass
Ergo Proxy

IMO these are all fantastic anime and my favorites.

Wicked City
Ninja Scroll
Blood C
Genocyber
Tokyo Tribes
One Piece
Paprika
Ninja Scroll
Hajime No Ippo
Vampire Hunter D
Hellsing/Ultimate
Edit:
Toriko
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure
Saga of Tanya the Evil

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I highly recommend checking out the YouTube channel STEVEM. He does short and long videos about all sorts of anime, both new and old.
His recent Madhouse Month series of videos covered anime produced by the studio Madhouse, lots of deep cuts too.

-Update-
Jin-Roh (1999) :

Good taste. Jin-Roh is one of my favorites. Big fan of Mamoru Oshii and Hiroyuki Okiura.
a71pEWj.gif
rRHuFqN.gif
bTTTIXQ.gif

QKt3dav.gif
cWN7svb.gif
bcPVizp.gif

It's not exactly what you wanted in terms of art style, but Kaiji is awesome. It's a game/thriller anime with some crazy scenarios and a lot of creative exploration of game theory.

thefool

Based on what you like, Cyber City Oedo 808. Short but sweet.
And the Patlabor OVA show. Oshii directs almost every episode.

Something more recent, I would recommend Mushishi. It's not at all the style of anything you mentioned, but it's uniquely soothing. Watch a few eps (it's just a bunch of short stories) and decide.
There's really not anything urban/sci-fi being made lately that is worth it.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
-Dirty Pair Series and/or OVA
-Bubblegum Crisis
-Devilman: The Birth (watch it subbed if the dub is off-putting)
-Project A-Ko (there are like 5 movies)
-Tenchi Muyo & Universe
-Gunbuster
-City Hunter
-Kimagure Orange Road
-Urusei Yatsura
-Crusher Joe OVA and movie
-Gunsmith Cats
-Golgo 13: The Professional
-The Slayers TV, Next, Try
-A Wind Called Amnesia
-BioHunter
-Wicked City
-Burn Up!
-Lupin the Third Series 1-3
-Ranma 1/2
-Dragon Ball (the original)
-Megazone 23
-Cutey Honey

80's-90's anime was the best...imo

SirTerry-T

Late 80's, 90's vintage, eh.
I like the cut of your jib, Sir!

Megalobox, Dorohedoro, Banana Fish, Dororo, Garo-Vanishing Line..all scratched that itch for me. Blade of The Immortal too, though that's more a "mood" thing than some hyper action Demon Slayer hype fest.
Incidentally, if your old enough to remember all those great 80's and 90's OVA's and films, I can't recommend this guy's YouTube channel highly enough. There's a lot of reactors out there but this guy really gets into the deep dive stuff.

Worth a subscription or a Patron donation for his retro stuff alone, in my opinion.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I just saw your post mentioning you liked older violent anime...in that case I recommend you find some of these:
-Angel Cop
-Doomed Megalopolis
-Demon City Shinjuku
-Baoh: The Visitor
-Apocalypse Zero
-M.D. Geist 1 & 2
-Violence Jack
-Psycho Diver
-Biohunter (again)
-Genocyber
-Devilman: The Birth (again)
-Twilight of the Dark Master
-Cybernetics Guardian
tzpmHg9.gif

EVJvV4E.gif

67kryUS.gif

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I haven't watched anime in years, but I just got done with Love, Death & Robots and it has prompted me to ask for some recommendations as to what real anime I have missed out on. I don't think have watched anything since Ergo Proxy.

My first experiences with anime and the stuff I have most enjoyed were Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Patlabor, Appleserd, Kite, Mezzo Forte, Grave of the Fireflies, Perfect Blue, Elfen Lied, Dominion Tank Police and 3x3 Eyes.

I have seen Metropolis, Ergo Proxy, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, the sequels to Ghost in the Shell (inc the SAC series) and Appleseed, Dead Leaves, some other Ghibli stuff and a bunch of what I guess is hentai; Urotsukidoji, La Blue Girl etc.

I have tried to get into Cowboy Bepop and NGE but struggled and gave up, and I can't stand Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragon Ball, One Piece...

I like the late 80s, early 90s art styles and I think I prefer movies and limited series to stuff that has a shitlod of episodes. It's probably odd but I prefer stuff with proportional humans with realistic-ish faces, prefer stuff that's relatively grounded, don't like western looking characters, and really appreciate good production values. I like violence and nudity, mechs, sci-fi and cyberpunk stuff, monsters and ninjas are ok, and anything that has incredibly detailed masterpiece montages like these..

This also remains the best trailer for Japanese animation Inhave ever seen. I never for bored of watching this shit..

So make some recommendations please. List what you like of you want but I'm really looking for a list of stuff that you think I would like given what Inhave told you.

Ta :)

Or...some comedy violence anime. Nekojiru Gekijou never made it to the West, but all short dos are subbed on YouTube.

triplejjj

Neo Member
Going to hijack this thread (is that ok @Majik ) as I too want some suggestions.

I've liked the following (in no order), but haven't watched anime in about 7? years

1) Death Note
2) Code Geass
3) Black Lagoon
4) Claymore
5) Monster
6) Cowboy Bebop
7) Bleach
8) Kaiji and sequel I'm forgetting the name of
9) Detective Conan
10) Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

I've not seen DB Super, so I was thinking about that, but I'm getting mixed signals about it.

Top Bottom