• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copy of Mona Lisa (made alongside the original) found in Madrid, Prado Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCold

GlpjL.jpg

The Prado presented the completed restoration of a work on Tuesday that it has concluded was a replica painted by one of Leonardo da Vinci's apprentices alongside the Renaissance master in his workshop.

"This is the oldest and most important copy of the famous painting known to date," Gabriele Finaldi, the Prado's director of research and conservation said.

For years the copy, which shows a younger and brighter version of the face that has captivated crowds for centuries, was believed to be one of dozens of replicas made long after Leonardo's death.

The painting has belonged to the Prado ever since the museum was founded in 1819 with the Spanish royalty's art collection, but with a background covered in black and a frame believed to be of oak, frequent in the work of northern European artists.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ona-Lisa-Prado-museum-version-on-display.html

Very cool. Makes you think about how colourful the original used to be.

Close up:

8RyE2.jpg

IceCold

This is a restored painting. You'd have to be a brave museum director to clean up the original.

edit: There was controversy that Leonardo's other painting, the recently restored 'The Virgin and Child With St Anne's" was overcleaned and too bright.

You're right it was restored. They removed a layer of paint: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...inds-copy-of-Mona-Lisa-by-da-Vinci-pupil.html

But I think the painting right now is a good representation of what the Mona Lisa looked like color wise when it was painted.

Chuckie

Yes, they are less interesting in person. Its funny how tiny that thing is.

Yeah I saw it yeeeeaaaaars ago and remember thinking: Wtf... this is it?
Somehow that very often happens with paintings, the Night Watch but even the Sistine Chapel.

way more

I never got this painting. Why is it such a big deal?

Maybe because all his other paintings depicted "a scene" and this one seems to be more intimate. Like his creation is actually looking at you. I really don't know. I'm just comparing it to his other portraits.

JGS

Banned
The replica doesn't seem as mysterious, but it may be the better painting.

Urban legend?- Mona Lisa has many apparent errors that explains it's lack of finish. Or is it more likely that it looked very similar to this new find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom