• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden portrait 'found under Mona Lisa', says French scientist

Status
Not open for further replies.
viHj3Y0.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35031997

An image of a portrait underneath the Mona Lisa has been found beneath the existing painting using reflective light technology, according to a French scientist.

Pascal Cotte said he has spent more than 10 years using the technology to analyse the painting.

He claims the earlier portrait lies hidden underneath the surface of Leonardo's most celebrated artwork.

A reconstruction shows another image of a sitter looking off to the side.

The Louvre Museum has declined to comment on his claims because it "was not part of the scientific team".

It works by "projecting a series of intense lights" on to the painting, Mr Cotte said. A camera then takes measurements of the lights' reflections and from those measurements, Mr Cotte said he is able to reconstruct what has happened between the layers of the paint.

The Mona Lisa has been the subject of several scientific examinations over more than half a century. More recent techniques include infrared inspections and multi-spectral scanning.
But Mr Cotte has claimed his technique is able to penetrate more deeply into the painting.

He said: "We can now analyse exactly what is happening inside the layers of the paint and we can peel like an onion all the layers of the painting. We can reconstruct all the chronology of the creation of the painting."

Will Gompertz, Arts Editor

I'm sceptical. It's perfectly common for an artist to overpaint an image as it is for a client who's commissioned that artist to ask for changes. So it's not surprising that there are those underpaintings on the Mona Lisa.

The data that the technology generates is open to interpretation, which needs to be analysed and corroborated by the academic and curatorial community, and not just an individual. I think the Louvre's decision not to make a comment is telling.

This is the world's most famous painting which, like a celebrity, always makes for a good story. But in this case I think caution is required.

I love the size of the Mona Lisa behind him. The real thing is way smaller.
As for what he's claiming I don't know enough about that stuff to say one way or the other.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The mona lisa isn't even that cool. I'm gonna karate chop a hole into the canvas of the Mona Lisa.

I didn't know it was so small when I saw it. They wouldn't let us take flash photography either... not sure how this guy got to shine numerous lights on it.

Fuchsdh

Honestly I liked the version behind him more than the real thing.

I don't get why this is particularly newsworthy, though. They've been finding earlier drafts of paintings underneath for a while now, and it's not crazy for an artist to reuse his canvases as they point out. Whether or not there's enough information to resolve such a precise rendering of the differences is another question.

Big Dog

Honestly I liked the version behind him more than the real thing.

I don't get why this is particularly newsworthy, though. They've been finding earlier drafts of paintings underneath for a while now, and it's not crazy for an artist to reuse his canvases as they point out. Whether or not there's enough information to resolve such a precise rendering of the differences is another question.
Came to see this posted. Case closed here.

You can still paint over it right?

That's the second time in my life I forgot it was painted on poplar. At least I didn't lose 10 points on a test this time.

First it was ten points then embarrassment amongst the NeoGAF art community. Each time you forget it will cost you more.

Henkka

Banned
That doesn't look like another painting, just an early version of the Mona Lisa. He then painted over it, making improvements and changes, just like what happens with every painting.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sounds like bullshit. Be cool if it ends up being true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom