• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God damn it I need a good, no, GREAT book

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
So, I have a hard time finding a book to read.

Waiting for the next installment of Game of Thrones... which I prolly read on the retirement home has left a bit of... vaccum.

So, fantasy or SciFi is the genre Im in dire need of.

What I like:

* Game of thrones
* Illium and Oddysen
* Nick Perumov "Keeper of the Swords"
* Yes I liked Dragon Reborn series.

Give it to me.

Word War Z? (allthough not Scifi or fantasy, I have heard great things about it).

WWZ is really good.

My girlfriend has read most of those books and is currently enjoying the Dragonriders of Pern. So, maybe look into that.

FnordChan

d83b8bacd7a0b8fc40e28110.L.jpg

If you're looking for a dense pile of doorstop fantasy to keep you occupied, check out Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, starting with Assassin's Apprentice. If I wasn't about to run and catch a bus I'd explain how awesome the series is in detail, but this time I've got to let Amazon do the work for me.

FnordChan

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Science Fiction

Renedezvous with Rama,
Star Maker,
Childhood's End,
Flowers for Algernon,
The Stars My Destination,
Lord of Light.

Fantasy

Amber Chronicles,
The Lies of Locke Lamora,
Gormenghast Trilogy.

ultron87

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Epic high fantasy in a super interesting world.

The only issue is that it is the only book currently published in a planned 10-book series. Thankfully Sanderson writes books like a machine.

Mike M

Nick N
American Gods, and The City and the City are my two most favorite urban fantasy novels ever.

The Lies of Locke Lemora is an awesome fantasy novel, kind of like Game of Thrones crossed with Ocean's 11. The follow up (Red Skies Over Red Seas) is solid, but not even in the same league.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler. Some of the best sci-fi I've read. It's three books in one volume.
Yes, I'm a total Bulter whore. I recommend her books every chance I get, haha.

fanboi

Banned
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Epic high fantasy in a super interesting world.

The only issue is that it is the only book currently published in a planned 10-book series. Thankfully Sanderson writes books like a machine.

This one sounds intresting...

EDIT: God damnit I just bought it!

Keep em coming!

squidyj

Edmond Dantès;35531869 said:
Science Fiction

Renedezvous with Rama,
Star Maker,
Childhood's End,
Flowers for Algernon,
The Stars My Destination,
Lord of Light.

Fantasy

Amber Chronicles,
The Lies of Locke Lamora,
Gormenghast Trilogy.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
the-night-circus-by-erin-morgenstern-197x300.jpg

Try The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern on the weekend. Absolutely adore this novel and it's landed amongst my favourite novels of all time. From my review:

Every so often, a novel comes along that knocks me off my feet, ties me up and leaves me bound, unable to escape until I turn its final page. Even after that final page is turned though, these novels live in my memory, constanly ekeing their way into my thoughts and colouring my discussion of other, inferior novels. I’ve been lucky enough to have this experience twice in the last handful of months; first with The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obreht and now with The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

[...]

The Night Circus is a classic novel that will sit on the highest shelf of my bookshelf, right next to The Hobbit and The Shadow of the Wind. If you’re familiar with me or this blog, you will know that that is not praise lightly given. It calls back to a time when there was still magic in the circus, when slack-jawed carnies, enormous teddy bears and rigged ring-toss was nothing but a far-off thought. The majority of my time spent reading The Night Circus was in the early morning, before the sun rose, and at bedtime, while the moon hung in the sky and darkness blanketed the world. During the daylight hours, when I was not reading The Night Circus, I thought of little else, and I think Chandresh Christophe Lefèvre, proprietor of Le Cirque des Rêves, would be proud. In a way, I wish I could have written this review with less superlatives, more critical analysis, but I struggled mightily with the effort. So, instead, I write of the joy I found in The Night Circus. There’s magic in this novel and it deserves to be read by anyone wanting to be reminded that there is more to life than meets the eye.

Full review here.

CPCunha

I've mentioned this book to a fellow gaffer a while back...it is one of my favorites ever and i keep going back to it... It is called The Raw Shark Texts, by Steven Hall. Do some research about in Fanboi...you might get hooked as i am.

"=0)

owlbeak

200px-Terror_simmons.jpg

The novel is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic to force the Northwest Passage in 1845–1848. In the novel, while Franklin and his crew are plagued by starvation and scurvy and forced to contend with mutiny and cannibalism, they are stalked across the bleak Arctic landscape by some sort of creature.

One of the best novels I've ever read. Really gripping, scary, and makes you feel as cold as the setting. It's really good. Not sure if it would count as science fiction, but it definitely has some monster stuff to it, so it might count?

200px-Terror_simmons.jpg

One of the best novels I've ever read. Really gripping, scary, and makes you feel as cold as the setting. It's really good. Not sure if it would count as science fiction, but it definitely has some monster stuff to it, so it might count?

Sounds awesome.

I try to champion this book as often as I can, and all the better since you're looking for something in the fantasy genre:

The Talisman by King and Straub is goddamned fantastic.

akira28

Metzger's Dog is a good one shot and a quick read. It's sort of like a street level Oceans Eleven with a bunch of old war vets, one of which is an unconventional genius.

dosh

World War Z is pretty good. Not fantastic, but that's fast and fun read, with really great bits (and that's what it is: bits).

Also, not gory, but quite adult (hidden under a children books outside), I'd say Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. It's quite dark and twisted at times. But that's a loooong read, and the story and characters take a lot of time to really get started. The first time I tried to read it, I didn't go past the 100th page. The second time, I devoured the book during a week-end.

This is considered a classic in the Sci-Fi genre. This is before Orson Scott Card inserted his homophobic views into his work.

Card is a homophobic retard, but he never inserted those views into his books. It's like Card the author is a completely different person from Card the man. One inspires me to be a better person whilst the other makes me want to punch him in the face for being so goddamn stupid.

fanboi

Banned
200px-Terror_simmons.jpg

Wooah...

Need to look into this one

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

If you're looking for a dense pile of doorstop fantasy to keep you occupied, check out Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy, starting with Assassin's Apprentice. If I wasn't about to run and catch a bus I'd explain how awesome the series is in detail, but this time I've got to let Amazon do the work for me.

FnordChan

For what it's worth, after I finished A Feast for Crows, I had a few people recommend this to me. Still planning on getting to them. (After finishing AFFC I just immediately jumped into reading something completely different.)

After everyone I know insisting I read Hunger Games for years, I finally started the other day (going in completely blind). I'm really enjoying it.

dosh

Wooah...

Need to look into this one

Yeah, it sounds pretty awesome. Birdcity post just made me buy the book actually.
And if you find out you like Simmons style, maybe you can take a look at Hyperion, also a great read.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I see you mentioned Illium and Olympos, have you read Dan Simmons previous book series The Hyperion Cantos?

Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, and The Rise of Endymion.

4 of the best sci-fi books ever written by an author you're already familiar with.

1982okz5.jpg

FnordChan

I really liked the first two books in the trilogy and then in the third book near the end she just takes it to an an entirely different place. Disappointed.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I know it's against the OP, but this forum has too deep of an infatuation with sci-fi/fantasy. Give something written by Dumas or Dostoevsky a chance, if you haven't already.

Slayven

200px-Saturn%27s_Children%281stEd%29.jpg

Asks an interesting question, what are robots that are built and program to serve humans do when all the humans are dead? Specifically a sexbot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom