• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God damn it I need a good, no, GREAT book

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
Hyperion is good.

don't know how 'dark' it is. I mean: lots of people die, sometimes horribly, with their dreams shattered and lifes work unfulfilled. civilizations crumble, rare exotic life is snuffed out, family's are torn apart and the galaxy is torn apart in war.

but i don't know if you could call it dark. it does have a moeblob seal of approval.

Might look into this then! :)

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
E2a9K.jpg

One of the most original worlds I've seen created in bookform in years. Also very original in depicting a semi post-apocalyptic world that goes further then just projecting a barbaric tribal Mad Max setting on a decor of the shells of former cities rusting away. Actually quite believable in mixing old and new tech. I'm really hoping this gets picked up some day for a movie.

I also liked Justin Cronin's The Passage. It's not great by any means, but very entertaining and solid world building.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I just finished Leviathan Wakes and thought it was great.Its the first book in the Expanse series, Fun read and enjoyed the edge of Horror/Suspense added to the Scifi Opera genre

Leviathan-Wakes.jpg

BossLackey

Gold Member
I just read Ender's Game, and I really liked it

It's been around forever, but I hadn't heard of it

Fantastic if you like Sci-Fi

Also, Goodreads.com is a great tool

FillerB

[Stuff about "The First Law" by Abercrombie]
Also I would recommend -
The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks consisting of -
The Way of Shadows
Shadow's Edge
Beyond the Shadows​

Great books if you like Assassins!
-snip-

Read through the Night Angel Trilogy since the post was made and overall really enjoyed it. Though the overall ending with the prophecy seemed to come out of nowhere and was rather lackluster.

Can't say the same for The First Law though. It's awesomely written but I really don't care one bit for any of the characters. That they're all either psychopaths or assholes doesn't help either. Does it improve or should I just cut my losses?

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Epic high fantasy in a super interesting world.

The only issue is that it is the only book currently published in a planned 10-book series. Thankfully Sanderson writes books like a machine.

This book was absolutely amazing. It's one of my favorite fantasy novels. Highly recommended. The 2nd book can't come soon enough.

Roche

Just thought I'd pop into this thread to add my recommendation to The Hyperion Cantos and the other related books, as well as The Lies of Locke Lemora. These are some of my favorite books ever. Hyperion is a bit hard to get into but once you get a little ways in you'll be hooked on it you're into Science Fiction.

I found Locke Lemora books to be incredibly hard to put down, the characters are very likable, the story is gripping and the writing is top class. Can't recommend it enough even if you aren't all that into fantasy.

Edit: If you managed to get through A Song of Ice and Fire, I would think you'll be able to handle Hyperion. It's pretty intense and hard to read at times but you'll be glad you did. It was my personal cool down from the ASOIAF series.

The Witcher series by Sapkowski - very dark fantasy kinda similar to Martin books (less politics more contrated on single person trying to escape from intrigues)

Also +1 to whoever recomended Hobb and assassin's apprentice series - I love those books.

As for Sci-fi

This thread needs some Morgan

Altered_Carbon_cover_1_%28Amazon%29.jpg

great vision of future where human soul can be digitalized and backed up and it's cheaper/faster to transfer human as a transmission of bits than physically

So many people have recommended good books to foster the love of reading I'd thought put in a counterpoint.

You should pick up the The Silmarillion. By the time you're done with it you'll never want to read again....Joke was funnier in my head.

I actually laughed at it after you admitted joke was funnier in your head. *thumbs up* :D

TCRS

Banned

oh yes! I'm reading book five right now (The White-Luck Warrior), it's simply brilliant. It's hard to get into, I agree, but bare with it, you won't regret it. A very fine fantasy story. I can also recommend the First Law trilogy.

edit:
I haven't read many scifi books except the Darth Bane books and the Legacy of the Force-series (so Star Wars bascially). Legacy is brilliant but not a good point to starts since it's the in the middle of the EU stories. I had to read up a lot on wikipedia to understand everything.

WernhamHogg

Neo Member
Name of the Wind, definitely. And the sequel.

Personally, I enjoyed the second as much as the first. Goes off on some GRRM esque tangents, but still excellent. I almost skipped because of luke warm reviews, glad I didn't.

I also really enjoyed Wool. Self published Kindle book, good stuff.

Verelios

Just bought the Assassins Apprentice. Really excited on starting it up, although I'm a little more interested in the Hyperion series.

How does it stack up to the Game of Thrones?

Cyan

Banned
Just bought the Assassins Apprentice. Really excited on starting it up, although I'm a little more interested in the Hyperion series.

How does it stack up to the Game of Thrones?

I enjoyed them, but I would not go in expecting Game of Thrones. These books are much smaller scale.

HKnightz

anyone read Ready Player One yet? Supposed to be a pretty good book with lots of references to 80s pop culture and video games. The cover looks pretty snazzy too.

Ready+Player+One+UK.jpg

i'd say these are kinda mediocre. but for some reason i really enjoyed them. its a lot of military lingo and sci-fi ridiculousness. but i think i like them because they don't try to be anything but fun. i mean the second book involves them flying a modified submarine in space!

also, do not under any circumstance read book 3 + 4.

EDIT: do quotes not resize pics anymore?

IISANDERII

house-of-suns-alastair-reynolds-pap18-lge.jpg

One of the best "hard sci-fi" I've read in the last couples years.
What's that?

The-Foundation-Trilogy-pb.jpg

Possibly the greatest science fiction trilogy ever written. It has everything, from a fantastic adventure tale, and good religious and political discourse to awesome characters and sound pseudo science. And surprisingly it's a very light read.
Trilogy? I've been looking to read more Asimov but The Foundation series seems to consist of 7 books. But if one could eliminate a few and leave me with 3, that would be splendid.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I've gotten a few good recommendations from this thread, particularly Simmons's The Terror. Thanks folks.

Blackface is the first person I've ever heard say they didn't like Wise Man's Fear (sequel to Name of the Wind). It's long and not wholly action packed, but it has fantastic world building and an addictive story. Cannot wait for the next book!

I know I'm responding to an old post but while the internet is pretty infatuated with Rothfuss I think his series is horrendous and there are a few others here who agree with me.

Dresden

oh yes! I'm reading book five right now (The White-Luck Warrior), it's simply brilliant. It's hard to get into, I agree, but bare with it, you won't regret it. A very fine fantasy story. I can also recommend the First Law trilogy.
I liked the first trilogy (the holy war), but it wasn't until the second arc started--the Aspect-Emperor--that I truly began to love the series. A lot of the things that made the first three books inaccessible--the constant, wearying misogyny (that really can't be excused), the endless philosophizing, etc--are fixed or at least attempted to be resolved. And Bakker's natural talent at storytelling, at making badass endings, shines through.
Reading this right now, really enjoying it. Didn't know they were making a movie - sweet!
Cloud Atlas is pretty darn good. For all the high-falootin' about its structure, it's really just a set of very traditional narratives split in two, sort of a tribute-slash-rebuttal to If on a winter's night a traveler.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
get the 'wool omnibus' right now.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1469984202/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Blackface is the first person I've ever heard say they didn't like Wise Man's Fear (sequel to Name of the Wind). It's long and not wholly action packed, but it has fantastic world building and an addictive story. Cannot wait for the next book!

This. I absolutely loved the first, but had heard that Wise Man's Fear was not very good. I dunno. It seemed a lot like the first, expanded on the world, had some awesome parts, and was quite enjoyable. People seem to have a problem with
him banging a bunch of chicks or whatever
but I didn't. Can't wait for the third.

livres-waylander-525-1.jpg

975793-gf.jpg

Let me take this opportunity to introduce to you the Waylander, arguably heroic fantasy's greatest assassin. He was created and written by the late David Gemmell, who also authored Legend. If you are not familiar with David Gemmell or his work, I'll try to summarize his style without despoiling the man's legacy...

His work is more character based, as opposed to world-based like Robert Jordan (RIP) who emphasized the creation of settings and worlds. The dialogue among characters, their minimalist and cut-and-dry approach to life might be off-putting to someone who prefers their fantasy characters to be more hearty, self-reflective, optimistic, and full of life -- like the stuff you'd read about in those Forgotten Realms books and Wheel of Time. The world he creates is full of gritty, violent, and solemn characters with a Nietzschean perspective of life. Gemmell's never afraid to kill of characters, even characters that might seem untouchable and important at first, which puts him on par with George Martin as far as author-to-character attachments are concerned.

His books are very well written and easy to read. Definite page-turners, if you appreciate that sort of thing. I'd recommend you start with Gemmell's first blockbuster book, LEGEND, to get an honest feel of his style. I only mentioned Waylander here because he's my favorite character among all of Gemmell's creations, but you're free to start with those books, as well, especially since the events in Waylander take place before the events in LEGEND.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
13124003.jpg

Peter S Beagle - The Last Unicorn

Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles is trying to do with epic fantasy what Beagle did with fairy tales in The Last Unicorn.

When I was alive, I believed—as you do—that time was at least as real and solid as myself, and probably more so. I said 'one o'clock' as though I could see it, and 'Monday' as though I could find it on the map; and I let myself be hurried along from minute to minute, day to day, year to year, as though I were actually moving from one place to another. Like everyone else, I lived in a house bricked up with seconds and minutes, weekends and New Year's Days, and I never went outside until I died, because there was no other door. Now I know that I could have walked through the walls.

Ducarmel

house-of-suns-alastair-reynolds-pap18-lge.jpg

One of the best "hard sci-fi" I've read in the last couples years.
Just finished this book love it and recommend it to anybody interested in a good scifi book. Any other books like it that treat time and space that would seem to take thousands/millions of years to pass but only experience just minutes of it.

Trilogy? I've been looking to read more Asimov but The Foundation series seems to consist of 7 books. But if one could eliminate a few and leave me with 3, that would be splendid.

The main story wraps up in the first three books that were published and are together considered as the essential Foundation story. You can try the prequels and sequels but they're not terribly good.

Read it in this order:
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation.

Davedough

I know you said Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but you had also mentioned "gore" in one of your other posts. This one technically is set in present day but it deals with Bioterrorism. It's written in such a way that every detail of the disease that is unleashed upon a city is almost gut wrenchingly real. It starts off slow but becomes very fast paced and its a book I've recommended to many others and have always gotten a good response back from.

Richard Preston's The Cobra Event.

T1voR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom