• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God damn it I need a good, no, GREAT book

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I'll second Tad Williams' Otherland series. It's a fantastic scifi/fantasy series. Reminds me of .hack but good. I'd love to see them made into movies.

I've gotten a few good recommendations from this thread, particularly Simmons's The Terror. Thanks folks.

I know I'm responding to an old post but while the internet is pretty infatuated with Rothfuss I think his series is horrendous and there are a few others here who agree with me.

Signing my name to this. I think rothfuss is absolute trash.

Karak

livres-waylander-525-1.jpg

975793-gf.jpg

Let me take this opportunity to introduce to you the Waylander, arguably heroic fantasy's greatest assassin. He was created and written by the late David Gemmell, who also authored Legend. If you are not familiar with David Gemmell or his work, I'll try to summarize his style without despoiling the man's legacy...

His work is more character based, as opposed to world-based like Robert Jordan (RIP) who emphasized the creation of settings and worlds. The dialogue among characters, their minimalist and cut-and-dry approach to life might be off-putting to someone who prefers their fantasy characters to be more hearty, self-reflective, optimistic, and full of life -- like the stuff you'd read about in those Forgotten Realms books and Wheel of Time. The world he creates is full of gritty, violent, and solemn characters with a Nietzschean perspective of life. Gemmell's never afraid to kill of characters, even characters that might seem untouchable and important at first, which puts him on par with George Martin as far as author-to-character attachments are concerned.

His books are very well written and easy to read. Definite page-turners, if you appreciate that sort of thing. I'd recommend you start with Gemmell's first blockbuster book, LEGEND, to get an honest feel of his style. I only mentioned Waylander here because he's my favorite character among all of Gemmell's creations, but you're free to start with those books, as well, especially since the events in Waylander take place before the events in LEGEND.
Ah someone else who is a Gemmell fan. I have been keeping the torch lit for years now here. Gemmell knew how to write "people" and not just placeholder characters that is for sure.

Adding of course the John Shannow series which is incredible. I would say that unlike George Martin and his tactic of killing off people Gemmell's were handled with better tact. Even if it is just his handling of their legends through other books, mentioning later and overall library of background mentions. The world seems even more real than other authors who sometimes shove that stuff down your throat like a history book versus a fantasy book with rich history that continues.

Mikey Jr.

Hey, glad this topic got bumped.

Does anyone know if there is a thread on gaf for just good books. No genre specified. Fiction, non-fiction, scifi, etc.

I got my e-reader and have been going through the classics. Just finished up Frankenstein (my brain hurts), and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I want to read something more modern. Finished through the Ice and Fire books.

The Road looks interesting. World War Z as well. So many books, so little time, urghhh....

So yeah, any topics like this on Gaf? This topic is good, but it is too focused on the scifi genre.

coldvein

Banned

Does anyone know if there is a thread on gaf for just good books. No genre specified. Fiction, non-fiction, scifi, etc.

I got my e-reader and have been going through the classics. Just finished up Frankenstein (my brain hurts), and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

The Road looks interesting. World War Z as well. So many books, so little time, urghhh....

So yeah, any topics like this on Gaf? This topic is good, but it is too focused on the scifi genre.

there are monthly "What are you reading" threads, good place to learn about new/different stuff.

IISANDERII

I have never been able to appreciate the classics and some call The Road an instant classic.That will explain why I could not like it.
World War Z on the other hand, I'm 25pgs in and I'm finding it much more interesting.
The main story wraps up in the first three books that were published and are together considered as the essential Foundation story. You can try the prequels and sequels but they're not terribly good.

Read it in this order:
Foundation
Foundation and Empire
Second Foundation.
Splendid, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom