• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Dead Souls |OT| MAJIMA GORO TIME YOU GUYS

IrishNinja

YvaIC.jpg

Title: Yakuza of the End/Dead Souls
Japanese Title: 龍が如く OF THE END, lit. "Like a Dragon Of the End"
Release Dates?: 3/13/12 (NA). 3/16/12 (EU), 6/9/11 (JPN - shut up duckroll), 3/15/12 (AU).
Genre: Action-Adventure / Shun Akiyama Simulator / 3rd person shooter/Beat-em-up with RPG-like tendencies
Platform: PlayStation 3
Publisher: SEGA
Developer: Amusement Vision / CS1 Team
Official Websites: US
Price: $59.95 USD at most retailers
Rating: M
Boxarts: still better than 3 was

...I don't even
wiki-jack'd
The game is set during a zombie outbreak in Kamurocho, a big departure from the storyline of the series to this point. The game is set during April 2011, when the residents of Kamurocho have become zombies. The Japan Ground Self-Defense Force was called in to contain the outbreak, but were unsuccessful. Now only one soldier remains alive, Misuzu Asagi. After receiving a phone call from a mysterious man who has kidnapped Haruka, Kiryu returns from Okinawa. Now, four men are the only hope - the mysterious money-lender Shun Akiyama, feared yakuza and construction company owner "Mad Dog" Goro Majima, the Dragon of Kansai who has finally awoken from a long sleep, Ryuji Goda, and the legendary former yakuza, Kazuma Kiryu. These four men are the only people who can defend the town, and must fight to save it.

I need someone to decide for me

Metacritic says 64 so far

I imported this last year for my birthday. I put 100 hours (Platinum-ed it and there's still stuff I could do!) into it and enjoyed every bit of it. The controls take some getting use to, but they're not that bad. There's a demo on jpn psn. Yes, I'm aware that the US version is supposed to have altered controls. I don't know how they are though. Other game issues - Framerate drops when there's like 40+ zombies on screen. Your AI partner usually sucks and dies even if you heal them. (Take Bob!) Camera swings in the direction you don't want it to go.

Its a full Yakuza game. You won't feel shafted when you complete it. You have the sidequests, minigames and other difficulty levels to play with. Its really no different than the others in terms of having extra content to explore.

Having played the Japanese version, I guarantee this is better than you think it is.

playable Majima > Mass Effect 3, invest wisely

I'm not convinced I'll like this, but I'm getting it anyway.

I will buy this shitty Yakuza spin-off.

What's it look like

GAF loves youtube links

demo's been up on japanese PSN store for a while now too.

I can't give Sega my monies fast enough

Japan of course got a limited edition that we're not seeing; Gamestop's offering player (and hostess?) packs as preorder bonuses if you're into that kinda thing.
also! wiki says there's more freebies if you've got data from other games:

Like its PS3 predecessors, some special items are available in the game if a save file from another game in the series is detected. Players whose PS3 detects the presence of Ryū ga Gotoku Kenzan! save data receive the Gion Bell (祇園の鈴 (Gion no Suzu?)), while players with save data from the Japanese version of Yakuza 4 receive the Satsutaba no Omori (札束のお守).

Questions no one's asking cause ya'll are too busy playing Binary Domain

Q: I've never played a Yakuza title, can I just jump into this one?

A: This should never really be a concern, as every chapter has an excellent (and optional) catch-up video at the start. Given that this is a spinoff off the main series, it's even less of a concern, really.

Q: Zombies are kinda played, aren't they? does this thing at least have multiplayer?

A: Nah dude, have you heard the good news about Binary Domain though?

Q: Do you think they'll finally localize Kensan! if i buy this?

A: Nope! But again, you can always try the import with this excellent gamefaqs guide + Youtbue channel with subtitles for all major CGs (Segata Sanshiro approved!).

Q: If I only play one Yakuza title, should this be it?

A: Again, this one's a fun-looking alternate take, so I guess that's up to your feelings on watching the Yakuza stomp on some zombies. If you want in on the series proper, I can't recommend 4 enough, which can be had on the cheap.

Q: Yo why does Ryuji Goda have a chaingun on his arm

A: To shoot zombies

Q: Joy Division or nine inch nails?

A: sorry Gravijah; i respect the original but trent owned it. You saw the crow.

speaking of music:

For those who may not have seen, you can also download the new opening theme for free on the SEGA Blogs.

game is $36 shipped right now! (3/13/12)

PS trolling this thread is instant grounds for deportation from glorious nagoshi nation, as well as deleting of your F-Zero GX save data

iB4Hq4EUrAPpP.gif

spats

I finally started playing through my save of Yakuza 2 again and this is definitely one of my all time favourite franchises. I don't even really know why.

I'm going to buy this.

tsab

The gameplay reminds me of a testing version of Binary Domain. Is that correct?
oh well, I'll buy it for the rest of things you can do.
Not a fanatic of shooters

Blizzje

I downloaded the Japanese demo a week or two ago, so it should be still up. Will grab the game on day one as a big Yakuza fan, but I prefer the beat-em-up style to this shooter spinoff. Hopefully it's a onetime thing and they'll get to work on Kenzan and a Yakuza 1/2 HD collection.

dethforce

Banned
i have read that the controls are really crappy - and honestly, they nailed it with binary domain and i cant believe that they fucked it up with this game.

IrishNinja

Nagoshi mentioned in an interview somewhere that he recognized his western audience might prefer another control option, not sure how that worked out just yet though.

madmackem

Nagoshi mentioned in an interview somewhere that he recognized his western audience might prefer another control option, not sure how that worked out just yet though.

Yeah i remember the jpn demo controlling pretty bad so i hope they sorted that out. This will drop to £18 within 3 weeks in the uk so i will get it then like yakuza 4 did.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Would have rather they brought over the 2 PSP games than this. No interest whatsoever.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I know I will jump in and buy this day one and yet it will sit there for months unplayed just like Yakuza 4 which I'm about 10% through but I'm a sucker.

cj_iwakura

Honestly like the way it looks, but will wait for the drop. Doesn't seem as meaty as a Yakuza proper. (Also still need to finish 4.)

Dysun

I've been playing through Yakuza 3 recently, I dont know whether to pick up 4 or this after. I dont know who 2 of those characters are though, are they from 4 or other installments of the series?

cj_iwakura

I've been playing through Yakuza 3 recently, I dont know whether to pick up 4 or this after. I dont know who 2 of those characters are though, are they from 4 or other installments of the series?

Akiyama is from Yakuza 4, Goro Majima and Kazuma Kiryu are in every game, the fourth guy is
from Yakuza 2, but I think he was written off as dead or something.

GeoramA

It's really coming out at the worst time. Not even in the top 100 PS3 games on Amazon :(

But yeah, I can't wait to play this. Watched about 30 minutes of gameplay and it looks awesome. It's Yakuza alright, just the fighting has been replaced by gunplay. And seeing Kamurocho in ruins is pretty cool as well.

I'm a big fan of the Yakuza series, but I'm not sure about what the controls would be like for this game. I need to hear more about that before I commit to the money.

vocab

Antagonist from 2, and that one guy from 4.

It's really coming out at the worst time. Not even in the top 100 PS3 games on Amazon :(

yep, and just like Binary Domain there is no release date shipping on this either...which is making me consider going to Gamestop AGAIN (especially with the pre-order packs).

I have my doubts on the gunplay for Dead Souls, if they have indeed implemented changes for the West into something like BD, then I'm all for it. Still, it's more Yakuza, which I love and hopefully supporting it means we get more titles localized (maybe some day a PSN release of the PSP games?). Plus a chance to play as Majima? I can't pass that up.

Tizoc

I will be getting this baby on b-day X3
Subtitle should've been MAJIMA GORO TIME!, though

Also, please include this GIF to the OT-
iB4Hq4EUrAPpP.gif

Bree

I imported this last year for my birthday. I put 100 hours (Platinum-ed it and there's still stuff I could do!) into it and enjoyed every bit of it. The controls take some getting use to, but they're not that bad. There's a demo on jpn psn. Yes, I'm aware that the US version is supposed to have altered controls. I don't know how they are though. Other game issues - Framerate drops when there's like 40+ zombies on screen. Your AI partner usually sucks and dies even if you heal them. (Take Bob!) Camera swings in the direction you don't want it to go.

I don't know if Esper Ito got cut but the only thing that obviously will be cut is Answer X Answer, again. I kind of wish they'd cut out the Underground purely because its a minding numbing grind through endless corridors of zombies. However, it was tied to trophies and Amon, so I doubt it will be cut.

spats

I don't know if Esper Ito got cut but the only thing that obviously will be cut is Answer X Answer, again. I kind of wish they'd cut out the Underground purely because its a minding numbing grind through endless corridors of zombies. However, it was tied to trophies and Amon, so I doubt it will be cut.

How many hours does it take to complete the story?

I played through the japanese demo and found the controls less then ideal but the lock on mechanic is pretty generous with headshots. Other then that the game is pure Yakuza with it's storyline and minigames.

That's a lot of hours. I don't really know a lot about the structure of DS. I thought it was maybe more linear and shorter than regular Yakuza games, but if someone can put so much time into it I have to assume it is just as open world-ish as the mainline games?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's a lot of hours. I don't really know a lot about the structure of DS. I thought it was maybe more linear and shorter than regular Yakuza games, but if someone can put so much time into it I have to assume it is just as open world-ish as the mainline games?

It's just as open/mini gamey as the previous ones.

you guys

Top Bottom