• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Dead Souls |OT| MAJIMA GORO TIME YOU GUYS

frequency

I enjoyed Yakuza 4 a lot. It introduced some great characters. Akiyama is really great.
Although I wish they handled the Kiryu thing better.
Yakuza 3/4 spoilers:
The end of 3 was really sad and I thought they were really going to go somewhere with that. But in 4, they basically just brush it away like it wasn't much and we just see Kiryu well again. We don't even have him in the hospital or something. I really thought they were brave enough to have killed him when we first heard about all the new characters in 4

But anyway...
It's nice to hear the characters are still great. I honestly couldn't care less about the gameplay. I'm in the RGG series just for the story and characters. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if this series was just a TV drama or something.

IrishNinja

frequency -
yeah, i like that 4 built on that stabbing but i did think Kiryu made it...i was personally more thrown off by a) how hard he took that guy's death in 3 (moreso that others in the series) and b) he never learns to STOP LEAVING BEATEN ENEMIES LAYING THERE WITHIN REACH OF GUNS.

but yeah, if i'dve heard about 4's new cast and thought they were offing Kiryu, that would've sounded ballsy. i guess now im waiting to see what becomes of that orphanage, heh

Jimrpg

Just finished 3 over Christmas and onto 4 now.

But I'm skipping this one cause I'm pretty much done with kamuracho. I like the look of y5 though. And really I kinda wish they would localise kenzan. Surely with the install base now they could do it.

May16

But I'm skipping this one cause I'm pretty much done with kamuracho. I like the look of y5 though. And really I kinda wish they would localise kenzan. Surely with the install base now they could do it.
While you and I might enjoy Kenzan, the graphics would probably get the game slain by the more mainstream gamers and critics =/ As a business move, I actually kinda understand if they leave that one in Japan.

frequency

frequency -
yeah, i like that 4 built on that stabbing but i did think Kiryu made it...i was personally more thrown off by a) how hard he took that guy's death in 3 (moreso that others in the series) and b) he never learns to STOP LEAVING BEATEN ENEMIES LAYING THERE WITHIN REACH OF GUNS.

but yeah, if i'dve heard about 4's new cast and thought they were offing Kiryu, that would've sounded ballsy. i guess now im waiting to see what becomes of that orphanage, heh

I guess I'm gullible. I really thought Kiryu died at the end of 3 and the series was ending. When 4 was announced, I was happy. I didn't follow it too much because of spoilers and stuff, but I heard about all these new characters. And that made me feel like Kiryu really was killed off. But nope. That's okay though. I love Kiryu. It just seemed weird and mishandled to me.

It was kind of weird how Kiryu totally forgave Hamazaki for all the stuff he's done. And then was so affected by his death. But I do like what happened with Hamazaki as a character. I stopped hating him.
Every time someone is left lying there with a gun in any media ever I feel like yelling at the screen "DON'T LEAVE THAT THERE!". Hehe.

I really do hope that orphanage goes somewhere.

While you and I might enjoy Kenzan, the graphics would probably get the game slain by the more mainstream gamers and critics =/ As a business move, I actually kinda understand if they leave that one in Japan.

It's not like the mainstream gamers even care about this series anyway. These releases are pretty much just for fans like us.

Yakuza 4 was really fucking shitty and horrible.

n7Hqq.jpg

IrishNinja

ya'll are making me want some scotch!

I like the look of y5 though.

wait, what "look"? are there screenshots out?

yup, not to mention lacking trophies & such...it'd need some work. shame too since it's said to be one of the best, i think i'm gonna finally play it after this one.
though if a fansubbed iso was ever out there, id consider a CFW system just to play it!

Jimrpg

i agree it wouldn't be the best business move as its a niche (yakuza series) of a niche (samurai game).

As for the graphics think of it as one of the PS2 HD remakes... its certainly no worse than that.

wait, what "look"? are there screenshots out?

wrong turn of phrase... i meant I liked the idea of multiple locations in Y5 and it seems more ambitious than the past few.

hamchan

I enjoyed Yakuza 4 a lot. It introduced some great characters. Akiyama is really great.
Although I wish they handled the Kiryu thing better.
Yakuza 3/4 spoilers:
The end of 3 was really sad and I thought they were really going to go somewhere with that. But in 4, they basically just brush it away like it wasn't much and we just see Kiryu well again. We don't even have him in the hospital or something. I really thought they were brave enough to have killed him when we first heard about all the new characters in 4

?

We knew Kiryu was fine at the end of Yakuza 3. I think it was after the credits

IrishNinja

i dunno, man.
ive beaten the hell out of Majima with pipes and shit like twice a game for 4 games now, dude's pretty tough.

But he can't shot bullets out of his arm. So there's still that.
That gun also makes me laugh because it's so dumb. That's another plus for Goda.

frequency

?

We knew Kiryu was fine at the end of Yakuza 3. I think it was after the credits

Did we? I might have totally forgotten? Or blocked it out because I thought it would be a brave thing to do for the series? I don't know. For some reason I thought he wasn't okay.

But now that you mention it, I think I do remember a short scene with him at the orphanage after the credits.

Did we? I might have totally forgotten? Or blocked it out because I thought it would be a brave thing to do for the series? I don't know. For some reason I thought he wasn't okay.

But now that you mention it, I think I do remember a short scene with him at the orphanage after the credits.

That's the shtick of the series. Let a character "die" and then be as inconsequential as possible about it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
QIEjU.jpg

Got a copy today, played about an hour of it. Pretty fun, controls are kinda wonky but it's been really easy so far (on normal). I recommend changing the camera option so it shifts behind you when you aim. There's like 3 different ways to shoot so it can get hectic. Also, the playstation lifestyle review I read, they talk about a heavy focus on shooting, which is true in a sense but there's the usual melee weapons to pick up and ability upgrades.

Really cool game so far, shooting zombies is fun and the story seems good.

On a side note, I gotta go get binary domain soon.

Well he is just someone that can't enjoy kicking goons in the face...i don't understand it either but the overall sillyness of the world is just so addictive.

^^ anyway i understand your reaction all to well.

I would have been able to just SMH and ignore him, but Yakuza 4 introduced Akiyama!

TEJ

After looking this up I found out that Yakuza 4 had been released in America, last year. wtf. Looks like I will be buying both this and yakuza 4 soon.

Irish, I expect you to tell me how good this game is. It's the first I'll be skipping just due to me slowing down on buying games this year(I surprisingly haven't bought any games yet).

Tguy, did you get yakuza 4?
Yeah, got all Yakuza games that has came to US day one. I absolutely loved it, I can see complaints of people saying the formula is getting old but the new fighting styles were just about enough for me to put over 100 hours into it. Looking forward to see what changes they make to Yakuza 5.

IrishNinja

*bro-fist* my thoughts exactly! reused assets, sure, but more polish (city looked so good in the rain), and even of the 3 new characters' fighting styles/stories didnt hook me, Akiyama alone would've carried it.

i'll be back to post honest (biased! haha) impressions after playing as well, man.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Nice to see the OT alive and kicking.

We have some fun videos for you guys on the way you guys. One may or may not include Majima Karaoke with his Pirate outfit.

IrishNinja

Rubbbby! if i didn't get to say so prior, congrats on the promotion man! it looked well deserved.

and yeah, anything good you got going, i'll toss in the OP. quick question if you see this though - any chance of the yakuza skins in Binary Domain coming stateside?

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Rubbbby! if i didn't get to say so prior, congrats on the promotion man! it looked well deserved.

and yeah, anything good you got going, i'll toss in the OP. quick question if you see this though - any chance of the yakuza skins in Binary Domain coming stateside?

Thank you! It's been a busy year since then. Excited to finally see Yakuza: Dead Souls going out to stores.

We've got a a cool trailer coming up in the next couple days that we're excited to share with you guys... but I won't spoil what it's about just yet.

I don't know status on the Binary - Yakuza skins on my side, as I'm dedicated to Dead Souls, but will let you know if I get any word.

Baroness - thanks for posting the interview link!

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
This will be live on the SEGA blogs tomorrow, but a little sneak peek for you all, from our Yakuza: Dead Souls Community Manager. (I can't tell you how happy I am to see this trailer finally go live.)

"Today, we're excited and proud to show you something that Aaron (known as RubyEclipse) and I have been planning, talking about, and dreaming up for months.

Aaron is the Brand Manager for Yakuza: Dead Souls. I'm the Community Manager for the game. When we first sat down to talk about our plans for this game, one of the first things he said to me was "wait until you see the pre-order costumes. They're epic." And he was right. We were especially taken with Kazuma Kiryu's American flag shirt. The whole outfit just screamed "stereotypical American" to us. After we laughed about it, we both looked at each other at the same time, and we knew instantly that we had just had the same idea. What you are about to see is that idea.

I mean, if you're going to have that shirt in the game, why not go even more over the top with stereotypical American-ness? Right? So we threw in a bald eagle, the Star Spangled Banner, and a background of a waving American flag. We also hid a special bonus in there for the eagle-eyed among you (see what I did there?). And although we can't officially call it that, we've been calling this the "America: F*** Yeah!" trailer since that first day.

So now that you know the background... behold the glory that is the pre-order trailer for Yakuza: Dead Souls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16dR58cV_U

God bless America you guys.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yakuza time is my second favorite gaming time of the year.
Second to Rockstar time of the year which was mad disappointing last year.

i am SO COMPLETELY FUCKING SICK of people not being able to get their moneys worth unless they pre ordered it somewhere (usually poopstop)

there is no fucking reason AT ALL to compete over sales with preorder garbage when the game is destined to sell like shit from the get go

only yakuza fans and a handful of random people will buy this in the first place.

shame on sega usa for constantly pulling this. a lot of people don't even know that binary domain (you guys) has an alternate rifle shock burst that ONLY POOPSTOP preorders have.

"faithful homies pay 60 doll hairs should give us all their shit you guys."

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The preorder stuff is really disappointing and I hope it makes its way out as DLC in the future. I can't justify spending $60 on the game, especially given how quickly Yakuza 4 dropped in price. That said, I am interested in Dead Souls, if only to hop back into Kamurocho. I've been playing Yakuza 4 on and off recently just because I love being in that town.

east of eastside said:
As a diehard Yakuza and Sega fan I totally agree with you.
What didn't you like about it? For me, it's right up there with Yakuza 2 story-wise and it fixed quite a few of my issues with Yakuza 3.

The preorder stuff is really disappointing and I hope it makes its way out as DLC in the future. I can't justify spending $60 on the game, especially given how quickly Yakuza 4 dropped in price. That said, I am interested in Dead Souls, if only to hop back into Kamurocho. I've been playing Yakuza 4 on and off recently just because I love being in that town.

What didn't you like about it? For me, it's right up there with Yakuza 2 story-wise and it fixed quite a few of my issues with Yakuza 3.

Boss battles were weak (except the Amon battles) and overall everything felt easier. I didn't care for the story, too much mythologizing about "25 years ago" and it did not grab me... Too much asset reuse and Kiryu was not well incorporated. New characters introduction into the franchise felt very artificial and tacked on. About the story a little bit more.. it felt less "otaku" (campy, warm fuzzy, "gamey", etc.), if that makes any sense, and more like a Japanese mainstream tv drama than any of the others did (even though they all are drawing from that) - and very hokey on top of that (
rubber bullets
, plz.) I just couldn't connect with the story or any of the characters.

EDIT:

If Sega is reading this, Yakuza 4 and Of the End (Dead Souls is such a stupid name) really feels like the point the franchise crossed the selling-out point and into overexposure.

btw, My play time with Yakuza 3 was over 250 hours and around 200 for Yakuza 4 if anyone thinks I didn't give it a chance.

all, imo...not looking to start a war with anyone..

As a diehard Yakuza and Sega fan I totally agree with you.

Yakuza 3 kind of left me in a funk, but Yakuza 4 totally kept me from losing faith in the series. The only complaint that I really had with 4 was that I wanted more by the end of the game; I wanted more time with each of the characters. They were so great.

Anyways, after finally finishing Y4 during Winter Break, I'm so stoked for this game! I really want the pre-order stuff, but I don't think I'll be able to work out getting it from Gamestop. I'm already doing a buy/return to get the Tales of Graces pre-order so I can keep my $40 Amazon price, and I was planning on returning the GS copy of Graces to get Yakuza.

Bree

Most of the content shown in the pre-order video was included in the japanese version aka it was already on the disc. The additional costumes (american kiryu, pirate majima, etc.) came as free dlc.

I'm not sure if the hostess guns and dresses were in the japanese version. The dresses look like the generic ones you can buy at shops in the game. I don't recognize the gun skin, but that could only be because I haven't touched the game since August.

I didn't bother using the hostesses as partners at any point in this game. I couldn't be bothered to level them, their weapons sucked and you had to go date them before you could recruit them.
I stuck to using Bob the whole time. His shotgun was a glorious then that burned zombies.

tl;dr - I wouldn't pre-order for this stuff. I'm definitely not. Most of it is probably on the disc. Hostesses suck as partners.
Bob > all.

Top Bottom