• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Dead Souls |OT| MAJIMA GORO TIME YOU GUYS

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I agree with this.

All these give-a-ways PR people do on Twitter or Facebook or on forums are kind of annoying. It's cool stuff I wish I could have but I don't have a Twitter or Facebook account for ideological reasons, and I can't spend all day on forum waiting. So it's a "get lucky" kind of thing instead of a "reward your fans" thing.

Well I'm a fan. I'm big enough a fan to pay you directly for these things. But apparently that's not good enough for PR people. The people who have time to sit around on a computer all day are better fans that someone who would pay money for them.

Sorry that got a bit rant-y. I realize there probably isn't enough produced to actually sell somewhere. I just have strong opinions on this as a collector of things who misses out on everything because I have other responsibilities.

Yes, because the people in the OT of the game aren't true fans like you. They also must be no-lifers because they beat you at something.

frequency

Yes, because the people in the OT of the game aren't true fans like you. They also must be no-lifers because they beat you at something.

That's not what I meant.
I meant that people who can sit here or on Twitter or Facebook or wherever the PR chooses to run their swag-games are more likely to be rewarded than the busy person who can't invest the time in playing these PR games.

Never once did I claim that these people are not fans or that they have no life.

I want an equal opportunity to get cool stuff. And if that's not possible, I don't mind giving more (like paying) to get stuff. That's all I'm saying.

I don't know why, but your post really hurt my feelings...

Yuterald

Man, I can't wait to pass out with this game for like 80+ hours. It's been somewhat of a tradition for me with this series now. When I got Yakuza 4 I pretty much played it nonstop exclusively for 80 some hours. I'd have to agree with another poster in this thread, but I forget who said this. Yakuza time of the year is definitely my favorite time of the year! =)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So uh... how's the gameplay? I'm a huge fan of the series, but I remember hearing some less than positive impressions on this one a while back...

But it looks so, so awesome.

GeoramA

Man, I can't wait to pass out with this game for like 80+ hours. It's been somewhat of a tradition for me with this series now. When I got Yakuza 4 I pretty much played it nonstop exclusively for 80 some hours. I'd have to agree with another poster in this thread, but I forget who said this. Yakuza time of the year is definitely my favorite time of the year! =)
Indeed. It's like a new season of one of my favorite tv shows.

<3 Yakuza

IrishNinja

yeah, this time is the best time. having binary domain so close was just icing on the cake.
i'm prepared this year too - since Nagoshi said he'd needed time to retool yakuza 5 (wants to try some new stuff apparently!), i figure the lull might be a bit, so i'm sittin on Kenzan just to scratch that itch.

aside: did anyone else watch the japanese live action Yakuza flick? i coudln't finish it, i just couldnt make peace with the Kiryu casting. Majima didn't look bad though, as i recall.

Coxy

I watched it, it was pretty bad, pretty much what you'd expect from a game to movie, shame since I think if done well and with lots of "heat actions" a RGG movie could be huge

Amagon

Debated on preordering this game since I haven't touched 4 yet but fucking A, I do love the series and want to support it.

/preordered

Shit Yeah, I'm ready for this game!
Like 3, loved 4 and I'm ready for something different.
I still have my last play in 4 but that might wait.

Backflip

I played Dead Souls for like 5 hours straight last night and so far I'm having a hard time with the controls and the camera. After Binary Domain, the controls just seem so stiff. I love the story and the characters though.

you could enable right stick aiming in the JP demo IIRC by messing with the options. by the time i was done messing with the demo I was completely comfortable with it

it's Yakuza gunplay, not binary domain. expect more quick lock on and shoot kills then running around with your guns down the sights.

TUESDAY! I can't wait to light my shades on fire as to permanently force the bru skies into my room while i play this with the windows open.

i'll most likely be updating my "off-screen" youtube yakuza 3 and 4 guide channel with the Dead Souls mini-games.

IrishNinja

my copy's on its way here, yessssssssssssss

which means itll prolly get here wednesday right before i go back in to work =/

aw crap! Is some of the pre order at gamestop stuff online only? I have it reserved at the store but they would probably talk out of their ass if I asked them if I was getting both packs.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
aw crap! Is some of the pre order at gamestop stuff online only? I have it reserved at the store but they would probably talk out of their ass if I asked them if I was getting both packs.
One of the packs is, yeah. By selecting the "Pick up in-store" option when buying online you can still get both packs, though. (It'll tell you otherwise, but we worked this out with Gamestop to ensure it would work.)

Likewise, if you have pre-ordered and for some reason you get pushback on the second code, just let me know tomorrow and have a pic of your receipt. I'll make sure people who are supporting the game get the rewards we intended them.

For merch:

- Next post gets their choice of any one of the items! (If you've won already, please let someone else have a turn.)

- A fair point made by those who spend the day working and aren't able to check forums constantly. We can't sell the items, but what do you guys think about us putting a pack or two of these up in a charity auction to raise money for Japan Earthquake relief? I'm really for the idea, provided you guys are too!

One of the packs is, yeah. By selecting the "Pick up in-store" option when buying online you can still get both packs, though. (It'll tell you otherwise, but we worked this out with Gamestop to ensure it would work.)

Likewise, if you have pre-ordered and for some reason you get pushback on the second code, just let me know tomorrow. I'll make sure people who are supporting the game get the rewards we intended them.

For merch:

- Next post gets their choice of any one of the items! (If you've won already, please let someone else have a turn.)

- A fair point made by those who spend the day working and aren't able to check forums constantly. We can't sell the items, but what do you guys think about us putting a pack or two of these up in a charity auction to raise money for Japan Earthquake relief? I'm really for the idea if you guys are, too.

Cards please!

- A fair point made by those who spend the day working and aren't able to check forums constantly. We can't sell the items, but what do you guys think about us putting a pack or two of these up in a charity auction to raise money for Japan Earthquake relief? I'm really for the idea, provided you guys are too!

Works for me.

looks like fans won't be able to get merchandise of their favorite games, as per usual.

oh well, the game is good enough, and it's tomorrow you guys.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
looks like fans won't be able to get merchandise of their favorite games, as per usual.

oh well, the game is good enough, and it's tomorrow you guys.
I'm open to suggestions beyond the free giveaways here and the idea of charity auctions for Japan - hit me up with some thoughts via PM and I'll see what we can do.

Also - another chance to get a full suite of the merch now live on Popzara: http://popzara.com/pages/2218/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Last game I finished was a Nagoshi game, and it looks like I'll be playing another one tomorrow.

I'm also tempted to import Black Panther and just use a guide.

frequency

I'm open to suggestions beyond the free giveaways here and the idea of charity auctions for Japan - hit me up with some thoughts via PM and I'll see what we can do.

Also - another chance to get a full suite of the merch now live on Popzara: http://popzara.com/pages/2218/

The auction sounds like a good idea - assuming there is enough interest outside me and the two other people in this thread. For a good cause too!

I'm not at home right now so I can't really look over that site in depth, but a quick peek sounds like it's a e-mail question contest thing. That's great. Something I can do at my own pace when I have time.

I really appreciate you trying to address the giveaway concerns. :)

Oh maybe I'm trying to do it too late. Its being wierd and not even giving me the option to pick up in store. Thanks for letting me know though.

jorgeton

Well, just picked this up. Total impulse buy. I cannot resist Kazuma Kiryu but am excited to blast some zombies in the face with Akiyama.

I'd love some of that merch, specifically the arm tattoo. Maybe have people write Yakuza inspired haiku and the best ones get to pick out items?

DeVeAn

Yeah went to Gamestop and they already opened all the copies the had. I wanted a sealed copy and I get questioned WTF! Damn exclusive shit!

Waiting for Amazon to deliver so I got til Thursday, which sucks because my new iPad will be there the next day and I'll probably mess with that all day.

.la1n

Yeah went to Gamestop and they already opened all the copies the had. I wanted a sealed copy and I get questioned WTF! Damn exclusive shit!

Gamestop say...

6DdDc.gif

explodet

Okay, I had this preordered for a while, but man, I can't believe I missed out on potential merch. I gotta check these

I will await patiently for my preorder, hopefully I can get time on the PS3, which is currently being hogged by a Mass Effect 3 disc.

FLEABttn

Banned
I find it weird that there are stores breaking the street date on Dead Souls but Amazon isn't offering release date shipping for prime members. What the dilly, yo?

I will await patiently for my preorder, hopefully I can get time on the PS3, which is currently being hogged by a Mass Effect 3 disc.

Yeah, despite what I said, not getting the game til Wednesday or Thursday is fine, still haven't beat ME3 yet. Yakuza, I love you and all, but, Mass Effect 3 takes priority.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
how come i NEVER live near the gamestop that sells games with no street date early?

i could be playing this shit?!

They shouldn't exist. Corporate's super strict about breaking street dates; they'll know if you do. I guess it might not be as big of a deal with this since it's a smaller game. IDK, we had a Mortal Kombat Komplete out on Monday, so it could just be a mishap

jorgeton

Oh man, the manual in this game is non-existent. Literally one page with the control layout.

Video game manuals - a lost art form!

i wish i knew a manager would just let me pay cash and just ring it out tomorrow. it's not like the district manager is calling about a yakuza inventory.

when i worked at EB years ago, i used to sell a few games if they weren't street dated before their actual release date.

Midou

Got this and graces pre-ordered, pretty hyped for it, even with shooter elements, I just love the feel of these games too much.

I'm actually excited for my copy to arrive from Amazon today, at last, PLAYABLE MAJIMA.

Now if only they would release the Yakuza skins for Binary Domain.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, think I'm gonna trade in some stuff (Amalur, Deus Ex, probably something else) and pick this up tomorrow. I needs me some Yakuza, and my stack of games I'm never gonna finish is getting a bit too big anyway. Time to clear some of it out and get Yakuza! :D

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Yeah, think I'm gonna trade in some stuff (Amalur, Deus Ex, probably something else) and pick this up tomorrow. I needs me some Yakuza, and my stack of games I'm never gonna finish is getting a bit too big anyway. Time to clear some of it out and get Yakuza! :D
Nice, thanks for supporting the series. (And to everyone else, too!)

Next two users to post get their choice of any one of the collector's merch pieces. Goooood luck!

Top Bottom