• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Dead Souls |OT| MAJIMA GORO TIME YOU GUYS

DeVeAn

Love the series and I will be there day 1. I too want the Kazuma skin for Binary Domain. Damnit! Ruby is GameStop the only way to get the bonuses? Dude you get to work on Sonic and Yakuza my favorite games ever. Hopefully I can get my name the credits someday lol!

The pre-order bonus is tempting, but not enough for me change from Amazon...it will probably end up on PSN eventually though. (Unless this turns out like the Sonic Generations DLC in the US, which hasn't shown up here yet the rest of the world has gotten it in their respective stores, any explanations as to WHY that is the case Ruby?)

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
WAIT WAIT WAIT

you're telling me that's hokey but god damn 'OH HIS TWIN BROTHER' isn't?

Seriously one of the worst scenes in Yakuza 3. The 25 minute cutscene of people talking about Black Monday is also up there.

IrishNinja

aw, you're killing us here, ruby! id love to have that cowboy duster alone, much less with the other stuff, but i already got plans to pick this up elsewhere...i get the incentive, and now it's not likely an option, but if you guys sell it later, i/others will bite! wish i could put a few bucks down at gamestop and just get the code.

Boss battles were weak (except the Amon battles) and overall everything felt easier. I didn't care for the story, too much mythologizing about "25 years ago" and it did not grab me... Too much asset reuse and Kiryu was not well incorporated. New characters introduction into the franchise felt very artificial and tacked on. About the story a little bit more.. it felt less "otaku" (campy, warm fuzzy, "gamey", etc.), if that makes any sense, and more like a Japanese mainstream tv drama than any of the others did (even though they all are drawing from that) - and very hokey on top of that (
rubber bullets
, plz.) I just couldn't connect with the story or any of the characters.

to each their own, but you honestly described more of my experience with 3 in the first few paragraphs...i respected the new area, small though it was, but there were absolutely not many hooks there for me story-wise, some of the weakest villains the game say - more challenging than 4, sure, but play on hard mode and i think it works. for me:

Yakuza 3 kind of left me in a funk, but Yakuza 4 totally kept me from losing faith in the series.

though your point on
rubber bullets, which was a big (and unnecessary) copout stands.

WAIT WAIT WAIT

you're telling me that's hokey but god damn 'OH HIS TWIN BROTHER' isn't?

haha, also, this!

i just checked out the trophy list for this.

looks pretty breezy :(

i was hoping for a minigame master, but it's mostly just for playing the games a few times...

i can't to explore all of this games holes.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Answers to questions and comments below - part I!

i am SO COMPLETELY FUCKING SICK of people not being able to get their moneys worth unless they pre ordered it somewhere (usually poopstop)

there is no fucking reason AT ALL to compete over sales with preorder garbage when the game is destined to sell like shit from the get go

All the Pre-Order content is the Bonus DLC / Ryu Mobile Content from Japan. This content was largely extra from the very beginning in Japan, and we were able to give good reason to bringing over much of it (like the Mobile phone extras) by using it here. You get your moneys worth with the game itself just as much as every person who bought it in Japan; likewise though, I wouldn't worry too much about an item being offered as a pre-order bonus never showing up again.

Our intent is to make sure we reward those who really support the game and the franchise here in the west, and Gamestop is a big part of that. That said, we are also making special effort to ensure that everyone who buys and supports the game, at some point, can enjoy the content that makes Yakuza as amazing, crazy, and fun as it is.

A few thousand extra people pre-ordering at Gamestop actually does make a bigger difference than some might think. Amazon and other retailers all help too - anyone who pre-orders, at pretty much any location, helps Yakuza grow here in the west. I think that's something that all of us who enjoy the series would like to see.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I wonder if this is the same content that in the JPN version was only accessible if you played the cellphone game.

Correct, some of this content was bonus cellphone content. We made a big effort to include as much as possible in the western version of the game, and we're happy to see these extras coming west!

More answers coming shortly - trying to avoid any massive wall 'o text posts. :)

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
thanks for the clarification.

it's just upsetting that people who don't know any better will eventually realize they aren't getting the DLC.
No prob! Worth noting: the bonus DLC is a reward to our fans for supporting the game here in the west by pre-ordering it - we've never said that would be the only way to get it, forever, amen. So stay tuned. :)

Love the series and I will be there day 1. I too want the Kazuma skin for Binary Domain. Damnit! Ruby is GameStop the only way to get the bonuses? Dude you get to work on Sonic and Yakuza my favorite games ever. Hopefully I can get my name the credits someday lol!
Hey DeVeAn - long time! Gamestop has the exclusive on these bonus packs at launch, yes - and for some time following the game's release. As noted in a previous post, we're making sure that our fans don't get penalized or blocked from content simply because they didn't pre-order at a certain store. We'll be able to share more details in the future.

On another note, our Yakuza merchandise has arrived! Anyone want a Majima Goro Eye Patch, a Bullet-keychain-1GB USB, a Kazuma Kiryu Tattoo sleeve, or some Yakuza branded playing cards? :)

YES I want as much as possible. I'll pay shipping, full price, what ever.

This is my favorite franchise of all time!

seriously, if it's possible for one of each i'd pay for em. anything to support this team and the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
On another note, our Yakuza merchandise has arrived! Anyone want a Majima Goro Eye Patch, a Bullet-keychain-1GB USB, a Kazuma Kiryu Tattoo sleeve, or some Yakuza branded playing cards? :)

I want all of these things.

And Yakuza Kenzan&Black Panther, but I'm not picky.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Yes please. :D Yakuza is pretty much the only series out there whose characters I actually give a shit about. I'd love all that stuff. Haha.

Well, depending on price and all that. :lol Still gotta buy the game, after all.

geebee

Banned
The playing cards sound cool :D . This is slightly off-topic Ruby, but can you share any info on a possible Kenzan release outside of Japan? Even if it's just a smaller, digital-only release, it would be awesome.

.hacked

yakuza swag!!!!!! Yes for the love of god yes (got to get the eye patch!)

My anniversary was Tuesday (2 years married) and my wife preorder a copy of the game for me as a gift. She is the best!!!

the chris

I would love some playing cards, if not just the information on where I might acquire them.

Fodder76

Surely ol' Rubes wouldn't tease us with that stuff then not hook us up?

I'd really like a Yakuza branded copy of Valkyria Chronicles 3. :)

Dwayne

If there's anything left, i'd love a eye patch and playing cards :D!

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Merch pics! We have them. All of this merchandise is limited edition, custom-made for the launch of Dead Souls in the west. :)

You'll have chances to get it across a number of sites on the net, and this thread just happens to be one of them. I'll only have limited numbers to give out and on rare occasion, so keep eyes posted to the thread over the next week.

First off, some pics:

Playing Cards + Yakuza-branded Tin:

6819513122_75768492f1.jpg

The tin itself is branded "Yakuza: Dead Souls" on the lid, and each of the cards features the Yakuza: DS box art on the back.

(Here's what the top of the tin looks like - snazzy.)

Yakuza custom Bullet Keychain USB - 1GB
6819513154_521aa1a0b9.jpg

These things are so awesome that Customs delayed our package for a full week! Here's what the Bullet-USB-Keychain looks like when together...

6965634387_e00795ed3d.jpg

... and here it is in USB form. Holds 1GB of data.

Majima's Eyepatch!

6819513226_d04f754529.jpg

Featuring Majima's custom snake design. Wear it and you can call yourself a mad dog, purposely pick fights with the biggest mutants in Dead Souls, and watch Zombie movies all day long. Depth perception is for sissies.

Yakuza Tattoo Sleeve: Kazuma Kiryu style

6819513212_47713dd678.jpg

This is really cool - it fits over your arm like a sleeve, and is skin-colored. Perfect for making your family and loved ones think you got an actual tattoo, or for slipping on as you pretend to stumble home drunk one night. The reaction for these has been great so far.

IrishNinja

wow, those are hot - i'm feeling slightly less sad about missing the steelbox and chopsticks for 4 now, haha. Some really nice touches here, cool to see Majima get some love too.
Also, ruby...we're gonna need a pic of you with that arm sleeve for the full effect!

Vaco6121

Forgot that this game is out next week. Will be getting it on day 1.

As for those merch pics, I want that tattoo sleeve.

RobbieNick

Man! This game is coming out much faster than expected. Going out to GS to pre-oreder now.

Can you do the mini games at any time, or only before the Zombie invasion?

frequency

That "Tattoo Sleeve" sounds delightfully silly and fun.

Having a bullet sticking out of my PS3 (to backup saves) would be cool too. I currently just have a boring old USB stick.

Too bad these things aren't for sale. I'd rather just buy them than play whatever PR games and jump through hoops for them.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
IrishNinja said:
wow, those are hot - i'm feeling slightly less sad about missing the steelbox and chopsticks for 4 now, haha. Some really nice touches here, cool to see Majima get some love too.
Also, ruby...we're gonna need a pic of you with that arm sleeve for the full effect!
I'll see what we can do... I'm planning a group shot to celebrate launch day that might involve a crowd of SEGA staff with tattoos and eye patches on.

The american Kazuma costume, is that the same one that you can dress that kid up in 3 minus the hat?
You are correct! Good catch. :)

Oh, also: next post on the thread gets their pick of any one of the collectible items above.

androvsky

I'll see what we can do... I'm planning a group shot to celebrate launch day that might involve a crowd of SEGA staff with tattoos and eye patches on.

You are correct! Good catch. :)

Oh, also: next post on the thread gets their pick of any one of the collectible items above.

Really?

edit: I should pass, I've already won DLC for Yakuza 3 from a Ruby thread giveaway, let the next person have it. :)

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Proposed - I'll send you a PM to confirm which one you want!

That was really nice of you, Androvsky. As thanks for the gesture, you get one, too. :)

androvsky

Proposed - I'll send you a PM to confirm which one you want!

That was really nice of you, Androvsky. As thanks for the gesture, you get one, too. :)

You really didn't have to, but thanks. There's some pretty cool stuff there. :)

Thank you Ruby! And thanks to Androvsky too!
You're welcome, I seem to have weird luck with Ruby's giveaways. I swear I'm not on gaf that much. Well, maybe... :/

Blizzje

The playing cards look really nice, but the USB stick is the winner for me, hah. Would've loved it as a pre-order bonus. Then again, I'm crazy enough about the series to want to collect anything.

frequency

is it possible to buy any of these things? i'm at work most of the day and can't keep up on the thread all the time...

I agree with this.

All these give-a-ways PR people do on Twitter or Facebook or on forums are kind of annoying. It's cool stuff I wish I could have but I don't have a Twitter or Facebook account for ideological reasons, and I can't spend all day on forum waiting. So it's a "get lucky" kind of thing instead of a "reward your fans" thing.

Well I'm a fan. I'm big enough a fan to pay you directly for these things. But apparently that's not good enough for PR people. The people who have time to sit around on a computer all day are better fans that someone who would pay money for them.

Sorry that got a bit rant-y. I realize there probably isn't enough produced to actually sell somewhere. I just have strong opinions on this as a collector of things who misses out on everything because I have other responsibilities.

Top Bottom