• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STASIS - An isometric adventure game made by one man

Kyaw

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/02/all-rght-sweethearts-what-are-you-waiting-for-stasis/

I just heard of this today from the fine gentlemen of Rock Paper Shotgun.

I'm really digging the art style and the setting of the game. Reminds me a lot of Alien and Dead Space. And all of this is made by one guy apparently.

http://www.stasisgame.com

Disoriented, drowsy and in pain, John Maracheck opens his eyes. There is nothing to greet him but the static of a nearby monitor and a cold steel floor. Thick, green liquid covers the floor and then his body, leading to trail to a nearby, steaming stasis-pod. He slowly gets to his feet, trying to take in his surroundings. Where is his wife? His daughter? What the hell is going on…?

Stasis is an adventure game that puts you in control of John Maracheck, a man searching for his family in a seemingly abandoned research facility. Going back to classic adventure game mechanics, you are required to solve puzzles and use objects around you to progress and to find Maracheck’s family.

Graphically, Stasis is fairly unique in the adventure game genre, opting for highly detailed isometric graphics, as opposed to the more classic ‘side on’ views of other adventure games. Richly detailed rooms and fluid animations create an immersive environment for the player to explore, with danger lurking in every shadow.

The stasis-plug suit gives you direct access to an Emergency Medical Kit. This is a piece of equipment that has the ability to break down any object of a certain weight and size into its base elements and store it for future use. While normally used to store small medical supplies, Maracheck uses it as an easy way to keep and transport object he has found. Objects can be stored, accessed, combined and brought back into the ‘real’ world at any moment.

At its core, Stasis is a story about an ordinary man in an extraordinary situation.
Trapped in a place where humanity’s horrors come out to play, how far would you go to protect your family?

feb2012-9makjm.jpg

feb2012-1t2jy9.jpg

feb2012-57ikb3.jpg

feb2012-3k8je1.jpg

feb2012-100wkim.jpg

feb2012-6u7jqh.jpg

feb2012-2aejsy.jpg

feb2012-8qbk1g.jpg

No sign of a release date just yet, which is understandable given this is a one-man project from Chris Bischoff, being developed as “an extreme labour of love

No kidding. It looks and sounds incredible.

Dennis

Banned
Holeeee shit.

If one man can do this just think of the isometric goodness a whole studio could produce.

Isometric Cyperpunk RPG, please.

ShaneB

Saw this on RPS as well yesterday. Looks so awesome, but I can't imagine it being released any time soon. Kickstart and hire some help! :(

Perkel

Banned
According to RPS, it's 2D.

Then FUCK YES I WIN. (on subject of creating RPG game in 2D isometric)

As of game it's amazing that it is done only by one man.

Now consider whole studio who would create proper 2D isometric RPG :)

I was going to post information about this game at some point, once I heard from Chris that he was nearing completion. Absolutely phenomenal work he's be doing, and for a few years now. Can't wait to play it.

And yes, all made by one guy. He's been doing it for two years + at this point I believe. Really talented, and his blog shows you just how much work he's putting into this in his free time.

Holeeee shit.

If one man can do this just think of the isometric goodness a whole studio could produce.

Isometric Cyperpunk RPG, please.

When I've chatted with him, he's mentioned extreme interest in a cyber-punk detective noir, just saying.

moozoom

I love the art style... the lighting and mood is great and the profusion of little details is incredible.

It seems to be in 3d, or is it ? I hope he's not drawing this by hand in pixel art or sprites...

Corto

Ok. Another game to keep on my radar. It looks so good. No need to put the qualifier on this last sentence "for a one guy effort". It's really, really good looking. I hope he finishes it before he gets hired by a developer.

Kyaw

I love the art style... the lighting and mood is great and the profusion of little details is incredible.

It seems to be in 3d, or is it ? I hope he's not drawing this by hand in pixel art or sprites...

Pre-rendered in 3D and 2D in game is what I would think.

I am so turned on right now.

I know, right. He mentioned it very briefly, as he's very inspired by the styles and themes. We'll see.

how?

HOW?

he did all the art himself too?

edit: i'm inspired as hell

He's a 3D animation/environment artist professionally I believe.

----

Some more shots from posts of his long ago:

Breaker.jpg

Hologram-Active.jpg

med-bay-C.jpg

homage.jpg

His Blade Runner homage from a while back.

Sorry for the huge post.

People should really visit his blog at the main site and just read his posts. He puts some much work and research into making this game its amazing. His posts regarding puzzle design were really interesting. I hope this is a huge success for him; it deserves tons of press and impressions, it's going to be amazing.

It looks good, really detailed, but too dark. I have a 42" TV and good eyesight but can see myself squinting at the screen trying to work out what's happening. Anyway, interest piqued.

It looks good, really detailed, but too dark. I have a 42" TV and good eyesight but can see myself squinting at the screen trying to work out what's happening. Anyway, interest piqued.

He's putting a lot of work into making sure this isn't a problem. I assure you!

Top Bottom