• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: NeoGAF Starcraft II Spring Stadium 2012

NEW DEADLINES

All of the FIRST ROUND matches MUST be done by this weekend, May 25. If you can play your SECOND ROUND match, do it!

You've had your time. If your match isn't done, then I'll just put through whoever responds to my degrading PM first.

test1.png

What's the deal?

It has been one year since the last time GAF members have clashed in an official NeoGAF Starcraft 2 tournament. Players have come and gone, rivalries have grown and news ones established, and Micro/Macro has torn friends apart. All this has culminated in a need for a new tournament, where Gaffers collide to determine the ultimate victor.

Dust off your StarCraft 2 account, practice your Micro and take part in the NeoGAF Spring Stadium 2012!

Rules
- Maps are selected by both participants of a match. Initial map is decided on a coin toss between both choices of the players, and subsequent maps are chosen by the loser of the previous match. No map may be played twice in the same match.
- All preliminary matches will be Best of 3, the Semi-Finals and Finals will be played to a Best of 5.
- If you do not show up online in Starcraft II to play on the day(s) of your match you will be disqualified, no questions asked.
- Players must declare their perferred race and stick with it throughout the tourney through all rounds and matches.
- Typing 'gg' into chat means you forfeit the match, even if it was intended as a joke.
- If you are on the NeoGAF Mumble server and are playing a match, you must deafen yourself before the match begins.
- If any player is found to be cheating through stream watching or other such nonsense they will be disqualified on the spot.

Tournament Info:
- PROPOSED START DATE(S): WEEKEND OF MAY 11
- Open to NeoGAF members only.
- Format: Single Elimination
- Servers: North American Battle.net (Open to all players as long as you can access the NA servers.)
- Seeded based on rank
- Strict rules. No delays. Tournies don't run for months.
- Current Prize Pool: $100 (May increase. If you would like to contribute to the prize pool, please PM me.)

Map Pool:
Blizzard Map Pool
- Antiga Shipyard
- Coud Kingdom
- Daybreak LE
- Entombed Valley
- Korhal Compound
- Metropolis LE
- Ohana LE

Casters:
Hazaro (Tentative on Matches)
NiX (Confirmed)
Scogoth (Confirmed)
Ultron (Tentative on Matches)

BRACKET

If you would like to participate, let me know and include your timezone. Questions? Ask away! And, once again, if you'd like to donate to the prize pool, feel free to PM me.

BigAT

I'm pretty much done with playing Starcraft lately (one match in the last 5 months), but I'm in for this.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
a full month of training and no real threats in the zvz matchup atm, im gonna grind dem zvts and zvps.

What if we are a terrible player?

Aiho Silver.

Then you'll be like me and get knocked in the first round but at least have fun playing. I've only been playing for a few months now but I've gotten a lot better since I started and that was during tax season where I could hardly play :lol.

I look forward to watching a lot of good matches from the sidelines :p

Haunted

If anyone needs me, I'll be over there making disparaging comments about the NA servers from the sidelines.

glhf guys

edit: we should set up a revenge showmatch between CatsPajamas and PhoenixDark.

all in one weekend? i don't think i can participate as a EU due to timezone.

Yeah... might be a problem form me aswell...

Why don't you wait until the bracket is made? We can always see if about scheduling your matches at a time where it's not too late for you and not too early for NA players or the other way around.

Map pool / Is it bo3s?

I'll update the OP, but it's BO3 with finals being BO5. Map pool is Blizzard minus Shakuras, TalDarim and Metalopolis.

Mystery

If it doesn't go until Sunday I can play. I have Fridays and Saturdays off, but I work on Sunday from 7AM until 10PM EST.

I'm ForeverEnder.

masterkajo

To access the NA servers I would have to make a new battle.net account for US and buy a US version of the game, right? :(

I would love to participate but since I hardly play on my EU account it seems a bit of a waste. Maybe we can also manage to get a small EU tournament going?

Wedge7

I havent played SC2 in ages, I just watch now, but I'd like to join if you got any slots open. At least its in the middle of break during University.

I havent played SC2 in ages, I just watch now, but I'd like to join if you got any slots open. At least its in the middle of break during University.

I'll add you.

Wonder if we have enough terribad players like me to do this for Bronze/Silver only people.

I think there is. I'll keep track of everyone's rank when the tournament happens and see if we can set up something that makes it fair for lower level players.

Son1x

I might join this. I'll ask my friend for his NA account. I'll reply again here when I hear from him.

Central European Time here.

Updated with a second date option because some people think the weekend of the 25 is too far away. Let me know which works better for people.

I think i will put myself down as a definite for this. The only question now is whether i should stick with protoss or go back to zerg.

I'm enjoying protoss at the moment but i can feel the swarm calling me back. Then again i want to bring back the mighty power of the carrier. Decisions, decisions.....

Second edit: I'm from SEA for the timezone thing.

Edit: We should really try to make this a more regular thing. I'd be happy to help organise more tournaments if there is interest.

can't it be both (even 3 weekends...), i really cant do all in one weekend =(

Damn whiny French. The proposed dates are now the START of the tournament. The semi-finals and finals will be a set day, so we can stream w/ live casting.

BigAT

Damn whiny French. The proposed dates are now the START of the tournament. The semi-finals and finals will be a set day, so we can stream w/ live casting.

Can I propose the counter-argument to the whiny Frenchman's point? Please for the love of god don't extend the tournament and instead keep it concise and contained to a single weekend. The previous GAF tournaments were greatly harmed by playing them over multiple weeks. People lost interest, eventually forgot about them and I don't think the finals of the last GAF SC2 tournament were even played as a result. This is basically the NASL vs. MLG argument. Do you really want to be NASL?

Some people will be busy and won't be able to make the date no matter what day(s) you propose for the tournament. That's life. In trying to accommodate everyone, you hurt the overall quality of the tournament. The solution is not to bend over backwards to each individual complaint, the solution is to this simply to have more frequent tournaments. Can't make a tournament because you're busy on the particular weekend that it's being run? No big deal, I'll simply play the next one.

It's a much better solution than trying to accommodate 30+ individual schedules (an impossibility), plus it means more tournaments for the community!

Can I propose the counter-argument to the whiny Frenchman's point? Please for the love of god don't extend the tournament and instead keep it concise and contained to a single weekend. The previous GAF tournaments were greatly harmed by playing them over multiple weeks. People lost interest, eventually forgot about them and I don't think the finals of the last GAF SC2 tournament were even played as a result. This is basically the NASL vs. MLG argument. Do you really want to be NASL?

Some people will be busy and won't be able to make the date no matter what day(s) you propose for the tournament. That's life. In trying to accommodate everyone, you hurt the overall quality of the tournament. The solution is not to bend over backwards to each individual complaint, the solution is to this simply to have more frequent tournaments. Can't make a tournament because you're busy on the particular weekend that it's being run? No big deal, I'll simply play the next one.

It's a much better solution than trying to accommodate 30+ individual schedules (an impossibility), plus it means more tournaments for the community!

Yeah i agree with most of this. We're probably better off organising tournaments for a set weekend and just having them more often than every 6 months.

The reason people don't want to miss out on the tournament so much is because it could be their last chance to be in one for ages. If they were held more often it wouldn't be such a problem.

Like i said above if people are interested i'd be happy to help organise more regular tournaments. Once i work a few things out i'm more than happy to provide regular prizes as well.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

it was me vs moemoland, ended 4:3 with moemo winning. i tried to get them cast but everyone refused to cast ZvZ's. >_>

Holden

oh cool :3

I'm going to try and have the tournament done in a weekend, but using any professional tournament comparison doesn't apply to use. People participating are doing so purely out of interest for the game. There's no huge pot for someone to win, which is incentive to give up a weekend.

oh cool :3

Don't get too excited. It may just start with round 1 and 2 being played during the week.

BigAT

it was me vs moemoland, ended 4:3 with moemo winning. i tried to get them cast but everyone refused to cast ZvZ's. >_>

That actually got played? Looking back at the thread, it looks like it took almost 2 months for just the semis and finals (3 matches) to get played. Absurd and to be avoided at all costs.

That actually got played? Looking back at the thread, it looks like it took almost 2 months for just the semis and finals (3 matches) to get played. Absurd and to be avoided at all costs.

Yeah, that's far too long. It's part of the reason why I'm getting everyone's timezone too, so I can schedule matches at a time that makes sense and keep things moving along. We'll see once I get the final numbers and create the bracket.

I'll definitely be strict with schedule so we don't get people constantly postponing their match.

Top Bottom