• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC vs. LA - What's the better city Gaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I vote LA. More variety of food, more varied geography, nicer people.

Discuss.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
LA sucks dude. There's just lots of famous and rich people there. Mostly the only people that will pick LA are people that live in LA.

NYC. LA is filled with vapid people, wall to wall smog, gridlock, and sprawl.

Though, the correct answer is: neither.

I'll take living in the mountains of NC...

Grandfather-Mountain,-NC.jpg

(less than two miles from my house)

Maybe NYC? They both have their benefits of course.

LA has perfect weather, beaches, gorgeous parks and things to do outside of town. SF, San Diego, etc are nearby. However, it's a city full of entitled jackasses in a lot of ways. It's very expensive to live in nicer areas and owning a house in a reasonable area (at least where I'd want to live here) costs at least a million for even a tiny place (house - not condo).

NYC has great a transportation system and a better atmosphere from what I can tell the times I've been there. However it gets cold and hot as fuck there. It's also crazy expensive, more than LA.

I live in LA.

Edit: after thinking more, I may like LA more. But SF and other areas might be even better.

New York New, York big city of dreams
And everything in New York ain't always what it seems
You might get fooled if you come from out of town
But I'm down by law, and I'm from the Dogg Pound

Xeke

Banned
That's AZ- Gaf. Representing.

Oh and Phoenix as the 6th largest city in the country is total BS. It's hardly a "city".

Population: 1,445,632
Area: 517.948 sq m

And for example, Pittsburgh...

Population: 305,704
Area: 58.3 sq m

Let's look at all of Allegheny County.

Population: 1,223,348
Area: 745 sq m

Places like Phoenix and LA should be classified as sprawl not a city.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
NYC - people actually use the sidewalks! what a novelty for a densely populated urban area! also, over the last 10 years we've drastically increased the amount of bike lanes and pedestrian plazas to make the city even more inviting to explore.

and for urban renewal, LA has the Los Angles River.
river.jpg

NYC has the Highline - http://www.thehighline.org/
HighLine3.jpg

rdrr gnr

I don't think I'd make it in NYC -- it just seems like a scary place. If I didn't have knowledge of how each city is perceived my answer would be NYC, but because I do, the only answer I can give is LA.

Feep

Banned
"Los Angeles is full of vapid, shallow people."

Only people who have never lived in Los Angeles say this. It's idiotic, and completely untrue. Maybe the A- and B-listers out in Malibu are assholes, but by and large, normal people never deal with them. Most people here are motivated and hard-working.

I lived in NYC for nine months, and that's the city full of assholes. Holy shit. I took a few seconds in a sandwich line deciding if I wanted mayonnaise and the entire line starting screaming at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom