• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive ( iOS, Android, PC, 3DS ) - In 18XX even the ducks are deadly

Made by fellow gaffer beril, Gunman Clive is a stylish platformer out now on iOS, Android, and PC.

Now out on the 3DS eShop in Europe and the US! - €1.99/$1.99
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS-download-software/Gunman-Clive-692649.html

gunman-banner.jpg

Description-
In the year of 18XX, the west is overrun by thugs and outlaws. A group of bandits have kidnapped Mayor Johnsons daughter and are spreading havok across the land. Only Gunman Clive can bring order to the west and save the girl!Jump and shoot your way across 16 diverse and challenging levels and fight massive bosses. Gunman Clive is an old-school sidescrolling platform game set in the old west with full 3D graphics and a unique artstyle.

Reviews-

Eurogamer - "Beyond simply looking iconic, Gunman Clive is exceptionally designed. Stages are short, sweet and varied."

Touch Arcade (4.5 / 5) - "If you love platformers, you have to pick this beauty up. It really is a standout in all categories"

Pocket Gamer (8 / 10) - "A gorgeous Old West adventure, Gunman Clive might not be a gritty piece of revisionist realism, but it is an awful lot of fun."

App Spy (4 / 5) - "Gunman Clive is a classic run and gun platformer with great visuals and some interesting level and boss design as you continue your way along."

Slide To Play (3 / 4) - "Gunman Clive looks incredible and plays like a great action title from the 8-bit era"

iFanZine(4.5 / 5) - "Many iOS platformers aspire to the classics but fall short of reaching their ideals; Gunman Clive is not one of them. No platformer on iOS is going to one-up this without placing a heavy focus on character actions and nonlinearity, becauseClive has completely mastered the art of level design."

Game Trailers - From an artistic point of view, Gunman Clive plays up to one of the strengths of mobile gaming, that of making a virtue out of necessity and focusing on style over raw graphical showmanship.

Modojo (4 / 5) - For just a $1.99, though, you owe it to yourself to play Gunman Clive, especially if you dreamed of being a cowboy or just want a little video game nostalgia. The stylish visuals really set it apart from anything we've seen on the App Store and Android Marketplace

Trailer -

Screenshots -

screenshot-1.png

screenshot-2.png

screenshot-3.png

screenshot-4.png

Store Links -

3DS
Desura
Gamers Gate
iOS
Google Play

Price - $1.99
Available - Now

Prezhulio

it's really really good. touchscreen controls work great as well. played on ios, thanks for the adjustable control size option! wish other devs would care enough to include this.

if it ever gets on steam i'll double dip

I beat it a couple weeks ago, I enjoyed the boss battles the most and the animation was super fluid as well. I love how each level/world typically brought a new gameplay mechanic ala gravity switching in Super Mario Galaxy. Also it's not super long or short just the right length. Great job beril and I can't wait to see what's next.

beril

sunset riders biatch

get it to Steam beril!

I would if I could. Unfortunately I still haven't gotten any response from them after submitting it twice, both before and after releasing it on smartphones and gotten a bunch of really positive reviews

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I would if I could. Unfortunately I still haven't gotten any response from them after submitting it twice, both before and after releasing it on smartphones and gotten a bunch of really positive reviews
Oh, this is your game? Bought it on iPad and played through it. Perfect length, IMO. Great visuals, too. I hated the weapons system, though. Would have preferred upgrades that stuck and truly made a difference in the game. There are even a few weapons that make the gun worse, iirc.

Still, worth the money for sure.

beril

Is there a mac version?

No, not yet anyway; I've planned to port it eventually, but I'm not sure when that will be. Right now I really want to get started on something new, but I'm hoping I'll find the energy to go back and do the mac verion in a few months or so

I've seen it quite high on the android lists here in Sweden. Hope it sells well for you.

beril

I've seen it quite high on the android lists here in Sweden. Hope it sells well for you.

Yeah I know; it was actually #1 on Arcade & Action here for a while, beating out angry birds, fruit ninja, minecraft, gta3 and the likes. Unfourtunately it hasn't done nearly as well in the rest of the world; it's all thanks to a few big swedish sites and publications mentioning the game, but the swedish market doesn't mean much alone. Still the sales have been decent enough I guess

Played through the iOS version with the iCade and really enjoyed it. If by some chance it ever comes to Steam I'll definitely double dip.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seems like the Android version is tracking better than the iOS one? 204 ratings vs. 87.

If you're playing this on iPhone with touch controls, turn off the floating D-Pad. My experience with this game was terrible until I did that - afterwards I actually quite enjoyed this game!

beril

Seems like the Android version is tracking better than the iOS one? 204 ratings vs. 87.

iOS ratings are regional, on android the reviews themselves are regional but the average rating (and number of ratings) is global; the actual sales are about 3:1 in iOSs favour

If you're playing this on iPhone with touch controls, turn off the floating D-Pad. My experience with this game was terrible until I did that - afterwards I actually quite enjoyed this game!

It's a matter of personal preference really, a lot of people prefer the floaty dpad, and it helps in a lot of cases, but both types has their merits. I've tried to add as much customization as possible so please try fiddling with the settings if you're having trouble

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
iOS ratings are regional, on android the reviews themselves are regional but the average rating (and number of ratings) is global; the actual sales are about 3:1 in iOSs favour

Aww lame!

Crub

One thing that did annoy me was how the music did not stop when you died or beat a level. To me it just felt kind of strange.

Also, the life-bar look somewhat off in the PC version. Would have prefered if it was something more than just a red line.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in Beril. Just purchased on this thread alone. Never knew about. Looks fantastic and will play in a few. Good job OP.

samratty

Yeh got this a little while back and finished it, good fun although the controls did get frustrating at times. I do recommend it.

Never heard of this until seeing this thread. I just watched the trailer, and I'm about to download it as soon as I've posted this. Looks really good.

wondermega

great game. awesome look and well-done level designs. can't get over the fact that this is a one-man team, he does awesome work and I want him to make some money so we can see what he can put out once he gets some serious $$$ :)

zerotol

Banned
I really like Gunman Clive and had fun playing it on my iPhone. I'm definitely looking forward to what beril does next.

One Ok Rock

Neo Member
Grabbed it this morning thanks to this thread. Love the look, nice level design too. Controls are ok considering I'm playing on touch screen only. (iPod)

So yeah, I can easily recommend this one to others. Good stuff.

beril

One thing that did annoy me was how the music did not stop when you died or beat a level. To me it just felt kind of strange.

Also, the life-bar look somewhat off in the PC version. Would have prefered if it was something more than just a red line.

I figured it would be annoying if the music started over every time you die, and tried to make the respawn as quick and seamless as possible, even though it's a bit unforgiving with the lack of checkpoints,

As for the health bar, I just couldn't be bothered to make it any more fancy to be honest

great game. awesome look and well-done level designs. can't get over the fact that this is a one-man team, he does awesome work and I want him to make some money so we can see what he can put out once he gets some serious $$$ :)

Thanks, though technically it's not quite a one man effort as I got my brother to make music for it

wondermega

beril, would love to hear some notes about the development of the game if you are interested (where else would be better?)

What inspired the theme/visual style, etc? What ups and downs did the development go through, how long, and what was cut? Can we expect to see more of this world and style, where would you like to go with it?

beril

beril, would love to hear some notes about the development of the game if you are interested (where else would be better?)

What inspired the theme/visual style, etc? What ups and downs did the development go through, how long, and what was cut? Can we expect to see more of this world and style, where would you like to go with it?

I originally wanted to make a very traditional game, being a bit burnt out on platformers built around gameplay gimmicks or unique twists on the genre. I just wanted to try make something as good as possible without being pressured to be innovative or original.

It's quite hard to say how long the development was. I first started on it ages ago, and even released a version for Wii Homebrew, but it looked completely different back then and didn't even have the western theme. I picked it up again briefly last summer when I had just left my job, but then switched to working on Helium Boy (which was another old unfinished project) instead. It was only in november last year I started working on it full time, and completely switched art style and setting and started doing level design, but some of the enemies and the character movements remains from the earliest version. Thanks to the minimalistic style I was able to make the game at an almost ridiculous speed and was done in about 4 months; maybe 6 or 7 months when counting the prior work.

To be honest the artstyle was as much a stroke of luck as anything. It's based on an old rendering experiment I did after playing a bit of Valkyria Chronicles. It was never intended for this game, and didn't quite look like the game does now either, but I found it laying around on my harddrive one day and tried importing Clive just for fun. But I didn't adjust the textures for the special shaders, so the results weren't really anything I had planned but somehow it clicked. Then it as just a bit more tweaking until I had locked down the look for the game.

Given the extremely positive response the game has recieved I'll probably make Gunman Clive 2 eventually, but right now I want to make something different (with more colours). I'm feeling a lot of pressure to deliver another unique stylish look though

DigiMish

Great game - I'm breezing through it on iOS. I appreciate all the customizable controls, even though I'm rocking it with default.

Any chance of releasing a couple more levels be it for free or a small fee? Or even achievements would add replay value.

beril

Great game - I'm breezing through it on iOS. I appreciate all the customizable controls, even though I'm rocking it with default.

Any chance of releasing a couple more levels be it for free or a small fee? Or even achievements would add replay value.

I've thought about it but probably won't. I'm trying to get started on my next game now though I'm having severe problems focusing and I'm not getting much work done. Going back to do more work on Gunman Clive probably wouldn't help.

Peterthumpa

I originally wanted to make a very traditional game, being a bit burnt out on platformers built around gameplay gimmicks or unique twists on the genre. I just wanted to try make something as good as possible without being pressured to be innovative or original.

It's quite hard to say how long the development was. I first started on it ages ago, and even released a version for Wii Homebrew, but it looked completely different back then and didn't even have the western theme. I picked it up again briefly last summer when I had just left my job, but then switched to working on Helium Boy (which was another old unfinished project) instead. It was only in november last year I started working on it full time, and completely switched art style and setting and started doing level design, but some of the enemies and the character movements remains from the earliest version. Thanks to the minimalistic style I was able to make the game at an almost ridiculous speed and was done in about 4 months; maybe 6 or 7 months when counting the prior work.

To be honest the artstyle was as much a stroke of luck as anything. It's based on an old rendering experiment I did after playing a bit of Valkyria Chronicles. It was never intended for this game, and didn't quite look like the game does now either, but I found it laying around on my harddrive one day and tried importing Clive just for fun. But I didn't adjust the textures for the special shaders, so the results weren't really anything I had planned but somehow it clicked. Then it as just a bit more tweaking until I had locked down the look for the game.

Given the extremely positive response the game has recieved I'll probably make Gunman Clive 2 eventually, but right now I want to make something different (with more colours). I'm feeling a lot of pressure to deliver another unique stylish look though

Jost quoting you to say that your work is awesome. Gunman Clive oozes production values and everything is just really well though and designed. Hope the sales are doing well for you to release an even bigger game with the same quality as this one.

MRORANGE

hey beril, as Salsa mentioned above I would LOVE to see this game on Steam, any chance of you putting it up for submission?

Mista Koo

I really love the look of the game. If those particle effects weren't there I'd consider it one of the best games stylized looks ever.
Will try it soon one day.

Also someone has to acknowledge the clever name: Generic Mega Man Clone -> Gunman Clive.

hey beril, as Salsa mentioned above I would LOVE to see this game on Steam, any chance of you putting it up for submission?
He already said he submitted it twice but got no response.

Top Bottom