• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to make the PERFECT N64 controller!

Seik

Banned
It's been long since I wanted this. I tried many third party controllers, because most of them uses joysticks that won't get loose like the original N64's controllers. I tried many like Tomee, Madcatz, even those cheap controllers with absolutely no brands on them. Every one of them have problems, sometimes its the joystick's deadzone, sometimes its just the buttons that feels weird, are awkwardly placed or just breaks after a while. I wanted the best of both world, with a tight stick that won't get loose with the quality of the original controllers.

The answer is here.

F1D6h.png

All you need is:

-An original N64 controller in perfect working condition, except for the joystick (Or else the operation is pretty much useless).
-Dat joystick above
-Phillips small screwdriver

All you need to do is to exchange this clever GC-like joystick with your original worn up one and that's it. I just got mine yesterday and I didn't leave my N64 since. Its quite accurate, stays tight and feels great, nice experience so far. Best of both worlds is now REAL.

Here a quick 'how to do it' for those who are on the fence, its quite easy. (Source from where I took the pics, props to DavidDayton)

First, all you need to do is to remove all nine screws to be able to open the controller
EMBNH.gif

Then remove the L and R button and the little rubber push button used for the Z and put these aside to be sure not to drop/lose them during your modification.
ZMLVH.gif

After this all you have to do is to remove the three screws pointed by the red arrows, the one with the blue arrow is for opening the joystick's plastic case, so unless you want to see what's inside, don't touch it. Disconnect the joystick's cable from the blue connector, remember where the white wire is (to the left).
03.gif

Place your brand new stick, plug it, place all the things you removed in their respectful places and place all the screws back. Then enjoys a perfect N64 controller. Seriously, this shit is great. No regrets.

78ZCM.jpg

Here's the final result with my controller, you can clearly see that its more like a GC's joystick, it does feel like one too. I recommend it. Its worth the 10$ for any N64 enthusiasts. :D

A small part of me expected the 360 controller as the last pic. :p

I think the N64 joystick is fine, actually. Maybe placed a little oddly, but no problems on my end (unless I do fast joystick rotations in Mario Party. Plastic digging in your hand isn't too pleasant. lol)

I bought one of these things. Its pretty good, feels like a Gamecube stick except without the rubbery thumb pad. Works pretty well though.

Aeana

A small part of me expected the 360 controller as the last pic. :p

I think the N64 joystick is fine, actually. Maybe placed a little oddly, but no problems on my end (unless I do fast joystick rotations in Mario Party. Plastic digging in your hand isn't too pleasant. lol)

The stick is fine while it works. They don't last long.

Orayn

well that looks uncomfortable

How so? It's like a Gamecube controller with a shorter middle section. You're not meant to use it on the (relatively few) N64 games that are controlled primarily by the d-pad. They're neat, but damned expensive.

Seik

Banned
well that looks uncomfortable

Especially for that D-pad, my god. D:

The original is the best imo, its just that the joystick is so...not meant to last. I mean its good while its in good shape but whatever will happen it won't last for long, the more you'll play the more it'll fail. That's why I'm saying this replacement stick is the best thing. You get a high quality stick with everything else being the original product.

Medalion

Banned
All these years...people still trying to improve the N64 controller when we need to worry about the upcoming Nintendo controller more

Mzo

I have a pretty close to mint N64 controller that I bust out to play stuff once in a while. Like when I went through Majora a few years ago. This is pretty awesome, though.

Seik

Banned
Hey, it's my "how to clean an N64" pictures! Did someone else post them with instructions, or did you find them when writing your guide? Either way, would you mind linking to my original page? :)

No problem at all! Its done. :)

I found these while googling for pics of an opened N64 controller. Sorry for not linking the source at first, my bad.

Acrylic7

Till this day, I do not know the proper way to hold a N64 controller.

I always try and hold it like a regular controller. My friend always held it at the middle part where the analog stick was.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
No problem at all! Its done. :)

I found these while googling for pics of an opened N64 controller. Sorry for not linking the source at first, my bad.

No problem. The "repair" subsection gets more hits than anything else. I never thought the pictures I snapped years ago would be so helpful as the ages pass.

Till this day, I do not know the proper way to hold a N64 controller.

I always try and hold it like a regular controller. My friend always held it at the middle part where the analog stick was.

Left hand on the middle part, right on the right part. Otherwise you'd have to switch every time you want to move on most games.

I cant even remember a game where I even used the dpad.

My N64 Library from back in the day consisted solely of SSB, B&K, B&T, SBK2 & Mario.

Till today, I had never even heard of Mischief Makers :(

Vamphuntr

Man, the Mario Party games were joystick breakers for me. So many mini games where you have to furiously rotate the joystick and I would play the games so often with my friends when I was in high school that all my controllers are busted.

Man, the Mario Party games were joystick breakers for me. So many mini games where you have to furiously rotate the joystick and I would play the games so often with my friends when I was in high school that all my controllers are busted.

That was just Mario Party 1 if I remember correctly. Those fucking demon minigames gave me (and every other kid I knew) awesome blisters in the center of our palms. I believe Nintendo even issued a warning about them after the fact.

Azar

I think I owned six N64 controllers over the system's lifetime. Still have a few boxed up with the console. The joysticks were all pretty shitty on the remaining controllers.

I broke my best controller by smashing it on the floor in a DK64 playthrough around 2003. Only time I've ever violently thrown a controller in my life.

Have people tried to put some Gamecube or Wii analog sticks on the N64 controllers? Because they are much more robust than the N64 ones. I wonder if they feel similar though, when it comes to range, deadzone, etc... Some small changes on these may fuck the way the game feel.

Psxphile

MP1 also broke palms if I remember correctly.

Acrylic7

Left hand on the middle part, right on the right part. Otherwise you'd have to switch every time you want to move on most games.

I cant even remember a game where I even used the dpad.

Seriously!?
I'm trying it now and this shit cant be right, how do you play games like this?
Much easier to hold it like a regular Controller. Thumbs cramp up extremely bad though.

I recently found my old Nintendo 64, and have decided to start getting a better collection of games for it. Get all the classics and whatnot.

For all the games I've played so far, I find no problems with the controllers.

Top Bottom