• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to make the PERFECT N64 controller!

Acrylic7

I need to know this

How many people held it like a regular controller and how many held it from the middle where the analog stick was?

I need to know this

How many people held it like a regular controller and how many held it from the middle where the analog stick was?

It's based on the game, hence the three different ways possible to hold the controller, even if only one was used the majority of the time. You can even hold it by the left and middle prong and use the L button and Z trigger in a couple of games. Using the stick while gripping it by the left and right prongs must require gigantic hands.

Linkhero1

I've replaced one of my sticks with those replacement sticks and I hated it. Original stick is always the best, although it breaks pretty fast.

Or buy one of these like I did

Hori-Minipad.jpg
How much are those Hori?

Red UFO

I need to know this

I recently played it with my friend who held it with his left hand on the d-pad area all the time, meaning he had to stretch his finger and thumb to get to the z button and analogue stick. It was the weirdest thing.

Replacing N64 analog sticks is something that's necessary every once in a while, I think, but the problem with that one is that I love the feel of the N64's analog stick, when it's not broken, so I don't know that I'd want a GC-like stick to replace it... I'd rather have one like the original N64 stick, even if it does mean I'll need another replacement in another 5-8 years or something.

My N64 Library from back in the day consisted solely of SSB, B&K, B&T, SBK2 & Mario.

Till today, I had never even heard of Mischief Makers :(
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473262

Seik

Banned
Man, the Mario Party games were joystick breakers for me. So many mini games where you have to furiously rotate the joystick and I would play the games so often with my friends when I was in high school that all my controllers are busted.

Haha yeah! The stick-breaker I remember the most is the one where you are on a stationary bike in a dark room with a Boo near you, you needed to rotate the stick like a sick fuck in order to produce some light to make the Boo go away.

Ouch.

Haha yeah! The stick-breaker I remember the most is the one where you are on a stationary bike in a dark room with a Boo near you, you needed to rotate the stick like a sick fuck in order to produce some light to make the Boo go away.

Ouch.

Destroyer of stick, destroyer of palm.

AwRy108

Thanks for posting this! I broke out my N64 last week b/c of a friend's insistence that I play through the Banjo and Kazooie games. I'm so glad I listened to him--I love the games!

Anyway, I was quickly reminded of how much the N64's analog sticks feel so freekin' janky, so I might actually try one of these replacement sticks.

BTW, I also played DK64: it sucks! Hard to believe that it came after the Banjo games. Even with the RAM pack, it runs like sh*t.

Blunt

Banned
How to have the PERFECT N64 controller?

Don't play Mario-fucking-Party.

You'll probably retain friends longer through this method too.

Ouch.

That fucking mecha fly-guy destroyed my palm.

linko9

I recently played it with my friend who held it with his left hand on the d-pad area all the time, meaning he had to stretch his finger and thumb to get to the z button and analogue stick. It was the weirdest thing.

I do this, and so do all the cool kids. But actually, it's pretty common. For me it's much more comfortable, and my hands aren't all that large or anything.

-KRS-

I have one of these sticks. It's pretty good, but mine has a few issues. Number one is that it doesn't seem to be registering a full tilt if I tilt it up and to the left. If I do that in the Zelda games for example, Link starts to walk instead of run, causing me to fall off edges since he doesn't jump unless you run.

Number two is that the stick itself is somewhat smaller. Or at least the "ball" it's attached to makes it feel like it. So precision movements, like aiming while holding down R in Goldeneye, is incredibly hard. At least if it's something small in the distance I'm aiming at. Another good example is trying to shoot out the lights in Perfect Dark.

Number three is that the stick can pop out, like the GC one if you pull it up only more exaggerated. I only noticed this in Smash Bros. while trying to perform a smash. Oh yeah, also performing smashes with it is a bit harder than with the original stick.

I'm sure number one is fixable. I've heard other people don't have that problem at all, so maybe it was just mine that was put together weird or something. If I sandpapered that edge it would probably be fixed.

Other than that it's pretty great, and it seems much more durable than the original ones.

The Boat

Seriously!?
I'm trying it now and this shit cant be right, how do you play games like this?
Much easier to hold it like a regular Controller. Thumbs cramp up extremely bad though.
There is no right way to hold it, it's supposed to have 2 ways to hold and it's up to taste.

Ouch.

One day while I was playing I got that game like 3 or 4 times and the palm of my hand had a bruise on it after that game. After that I'd just put down the controller when that minigame came up.

Just wanted to say that I followed the advice of my fellow friend Seik and I am glad to report that this stick is incredibly awesome. Very precise and comfortable.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I can't play No Mercy with that:p

I picked up several replacement N64 controller sticks from PNP games. They are great and not like those shitty Gamecube type ones. These feel close though not as smooth. I lubed them all up with lithium grease and they feel as good as it can get for 3rd part replacements.

Coreda

The stick is fine while it works. They don't last long.

Both of my controller sticks are in really good condition and have been played to death. Back in the day though most of my friends got loose sticks as they used them too aggressively.

Edit: 2012 thread, wat

Top Bottom