• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II |OT| Let's Go, Friend of Friends!

otthreadtitleftuj5.png

sectionintroductionhnca0.png

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II is the sequel to the 2010 Episode I, the game many reviews dubbed "old-school" without any understanding of what actually defined a classic Sonic game. Sonic fans were salty, and they yelled at Sega, "You can do better!" Devs went back and retooled the engine, and over a year and a half after the first installment, the second Episode is finally upon us.

This is what Sega considers to be the third title in the "Sonic 4 Saga," with Sonic CD plunked in the middle for plot reasons. There's also been conflicting reports whether this may or may not be the last Episode in the series.

sectionreleasedatesj0u2c.png

releasedates2bjil6.png

Episode I will also be released for the first time in some countries, such as Brazil, on the same day.

Why no Wii announcement? In addition to the new graphical engine requiring more horsepower, Episode I had to jump through some major hoops to squeeze in under the WiiWare 40 MB limit, such as reworking the prerecorded music to play back in MIDI format. Nintendo has not since relaxed that limit on WiiWare developers, despite their more relaxed standards for 3DSWare, so no Episode II for Wii. Sega knows how much money Sonic makes on Nintendo platforms, though, so a possible Wii U announcement this E3 shouldn't surprise you.

sectiontrailersp3fl7.png

sectionstoryjyi7r.png

Months after the events of Episode I, the Little Planet of Sonic the Hedgehog CD fame once more nears Sonic's world.
At the same time, Dr. Eggman unfurls his latest plot--it can't be pure coincidence.
With Tails in tow, Sonic sets off to investigate.

sectionfeatures8mc6l.png

• 4 Full Zones (3 Acts + Boss Act each), in addition to the final Act(s) and Special Stages.
  • Red Star Rings hidden in each stage, and 7 Chaos Emeralds to collect, with a result that shouldn't surprise you.
  • Score Attack and Time Attack, with Online Leaderboards.
  • Local and Online Co-Op Play.
  • Lock-On: Owners of Episode I on the same platform unlock Episode Metal, a prequel to Episode II that revisits the first Act from each stage in Episode I.
  • Synced unlocks between the Xbox and Windows Phone versions.

sectiongameplay5ofea.png

Episode I focused on Sonic solely. Episode II is designed around the idea of Sonic and Tails working together. This is most obvious by the inclusion of Tag Actions, context-sensitive moves that pair the two up for special maneuvers.

comboheaderscopterhsi2x.png

comboimagescopter1vfrp.png

indent50phffk.gif
Tails' height gain is restricted to a limited number of button presses. Hitting enemies with Tails' tails works as an attack, like in Sonic 3.

comboheaderssubmarinepcdu3.png

comboimagessubmarinevadku.png

indent50phffk.gif
Swimming is infinite. Steer with the directional pad, speed up by tapping jump.

comboheadersrolling6xcvl.png

comboimagesrolling52fsh.png
rollmodetest4ohevh.gif

indent50phffk.gif
Invincible to some attacks, power through big structures and enemies in one hit. No turning around unless you hit a spring, and hitting any walls a total number of three times ends it.

There are also two unique team moves activated by items:

combospecialcombinatijfce0.png

Special Combination: Found in Gold Monitors hidden in some stages, Sonic and Tails bounce across the screen, destroying enemies and scoring extra points and rings for the number of times you hammer the jump button.

combocombinationdashzpc81.png

Combination Dash: Only found in Special Stages, it draws a tow rope between the two heroes, scooping up rings between them.

Those that have played it say the gameplay is improved, with a better feeling of momentum to the physics, and less gravity-defying strolls up walls. Although early reports say rolling is still busted, for reasons we cannot fathom.

And so we're clear:

sonic4nominecartstp6dyt.png

indent1001rd8p.gif
None of this.

sectionmultiplayer9pikc.png

Multiplayer Co-Op can be played locally or online, with choice of who plays Sonic and who plays Tails. Both retain their abilities, allowing Tails to fly and swim by himself. Either player can activate Tag Actions at their respective location, and both have a "Call" button that immediately summons the other player to their location. The camera zooms out to try to accommodate both players, but if one gets too far behind without dying, they become invincible and float toward the other player, where they can reactivate by pressing the Jump button. Both players share the same Lives and Rings pool. Tails can even pilot the Tornado separately of Sonic in Sky Fortress, which will probably lead to a few fractured friendships.

sectionthezoneslidwx.png

zonenamessylvania7wdai.png

indent50phffk.gif
Konami's the last place you want to draw inspiration from, Sega. (Translator's Note: Sylvania means forest.)

zonenameswhiteparkenfap.png

indent50phffk.gif
This zone couldn't decide on a theme, so it took three. Enjoy your snowy wet carnival!

zonenamesoildesert5mixb.png

indent50phffk.gif
An abandoned Oil Ocean Zone, the boss is very unique.

zonenamesskyfortresssrdoa.png

indent50phffk.gif
Chunks of Wing Fortress, with a dash of Sky Chase for flavor.

zonenamesquestionmarklld23.png

indent50phffk.gif
It's totally not Death Egg guys.

sectionepisodemetalalftt.png

Owners of both Episode I and II on the same platform unlock Episode Metal, in the style of Sonic & Knuckles Lock-On Technology. Metal Sonic plays the first Act of each Zone, in reverse order, with some mild modifications to the levels to raise their difficulty. Mixed in are unique cinemas that try to actually add some plot to Episode I, and explain Metal Sonic's life since the fateful race in Stardust Speedway.

Metal Sonic features different, heavier handling than Sonic, but has no special abilities or unique routes to follow, unlike the advantages of playing as Knuckles in Sonic 2 and 3.

The Good: Compositions are longer and more complex than Episode I, with a few clever remixes thrown in.
The Bad: Jun Senoue still loves his electric cat synths.
The Ugly: Oil Desert Zone Act 2.

Samples:
Sylvania Castle Act 1
Metal Sonic Boss
Sky Fortress Act 1
?????? Act 1

sectiontheleakelcil.png

In the words of Ken Balough, "Well it just wouldn’t be a proper Sonic 4 game without a code leak!" In late April, an unfinished version of the game labeled Beta 8 was temporarily posted to Steam. Unlike with the first Episode's leak, which was ripped from Partnernet, Sega has acknowledged the leak was legitimate, and did not go after people posting full video playthroughs to their Youtube accounts. Thankfully, there's been no smoking minecart found this time, no resounding call for a delay. A lot of remixes of the final stage music, though.

sectionreviews2ffdl.png

Many professional reviews of Episode I amounted to "it's 2D, so it's just like the old games!" Keeping that careful amount of research in mind, reviews will be linked here as they're posted.

OXM: 7.5 / 10
Destructoid 5.0 / 10 ("Mediocre.")
Eurogamer.de: 8 / 10 (Translation)
1UP: B+

Metacritic Listing

sectionextramauld.png

Sonic Super Special Magazine #3 by Archie Comics includes a short story set between Episode I and II. Contains the phrase "load-bearing bosses."

Avatar Items are available on Xbox Live. You can get radio-controlled Tails and Metal Sonic toys, or have your Avatar run through a Special Stage halfpipe. Or dress up in a Tails fursuit. I'm not judging, man.

xboxavataritemsowu3f.png

Premium Avatars are available on PSN, currently on discount for Plus owners. So if you feel the desire to pay money for tiny JPGs, you're in luck there too.

1080p PC Patch, and Tutorials on how to force Anti-Aliasing

otfooterlzi5s.png

SykoTech

Already? I thought this was coming out in June or something. Amazing how interested I've become about a sequel to my favorite game. :/

Well, will keep an eye out for impressions anyway.

...dat rolling gif.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I know nothing of Sonic 4 outside of playing the demo for Ep 1 and being underwhelmed. That said, I do have a couple of questions.

What's wrong with the Sonic Generations engine? I know some people had some issues with it, but I feel it was very close to feeling right. Couldn't they just modify that?
What's with the music in the trailers? Feels mildly dubsteppy and not at all like Sonic.
They really just need to make a Generations 2. >_>

Gameboy415

Oh wow, it's out next week!?!
Can't wait til next Tuesday! :D

I'm mostly excited to play the "Episode Metal" stages - I've been a huge fan of the character ever since I played Sonic CD as a kid.

Levyne

Banned
I know nothing of Sonic 4 outside of playing the demo for Ep 1 and being underwhelmed. That said, I do have a couple of questions.

What's wrong with the Sonic Generations engine? I know some people had some issues with it, but I feel it was very close to feeling right. Couldn't they just modify that? What's with the music in the trailers? Feels mildly dubsteppy and not at all like Sonic. They really just need to make a Generations 2. >_>

I loved the physics in Generations and hated them in Episode 1. Hopefully Episode 2 is more like Generations.

Sciz

Long story short, this is still Sonic 4.

Can't pin the blame entirely on DIMPS this time, since the credits reveal it's largely a collaboration between them, Sega Shanghai, and TOSE.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in existence that enjoyed Episode 1.

I mean, it's by no means perfect, and it doesn't hold a candle to the classic games in the series, but I certainly enjoyed it.

SykoTech

What's wrong with the Sonic Generations engine? I know some people had some issues with it, but I feel it was very close to feeling right. Couldn't they just modify that?
What's with the music in the trailers? Feels mildly dubsteppy and not at all like Sonic.

Generations was great, but Sonic 4 started development before it. Not to mention it was by another development team entirely.

I'm in the same boat as you though. Loved Generations, but was competely turned off by Sonic 4 after the demo. Hopefully once this Sonic 4 stuff is over, future 2D Sonics will be more like Generations.

OMG Aero

It costs them way more money to make the types of levels and assets from Generations than it does for the Sonic 4 engine.
And Sega hardly ever uses actual game music for their Sonic trailers, the only time I can remember them doing it recently is for the three era trailers for Generations. None of the music in the trailers in the OP are in the game.
Will buy. What's the UK price, £14.99?
Steam lists it as £9.99

I enjoyed the first two zones in Episode 1, and some of mad gear. It felt like the 2D sections of Unleashed slowed down some, and naturally flaws came along with that. It could have been better, but it's not like Sonic 4 E1 didn't have redeemable qualities.

Haven't seen any videos of the new episode, I'm just hoping it's at least good.

Sophia

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in existence that enjoyed Episode 1.

I mean, it's by no means perfect, and it doesn't hold a candle to the classic games in the series, but I certainly enjoyed it.

It's decent. Not nearly as horrible as people make it out to be, but it could have been so much more.

Honestly, I'm genuinely excited to play this. It just sounds like everything I didn't like about the first episode seems to be fixed, even if this isn't technically at the same level as the Genesis games. The physics are supposed to be a major improvement, the level design looks decent (not great, mind, but fun), the music sounds a lot better, and overall it just looks like a lot more fun with a lot more effort put into it.

EuroMIX

I already feel cheated by how poor Episode 1 was, so I don't think that Sega deserve my money this time.

It's a shame because Sonic 4 could have been fantastic if Sega had treated it with the same amount of care and attention from the start as Nintendo did with New Super Mario Bros. Wii. It's almost sad that you're probably better off relying on fan games and hacks if you want a quality classic Sonic fix.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Thanks for the responses, all! I'll still be looking out for this, since the engine is being reworked or whatever. If it looks good, I guess I'll pick up Ep 1 and 2.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That .gif is oh my god. :lol

I'm not looking forward to this since Episode 1 was terrible.

qq more

Thanks for the responses, all! I'll still be looking out for this, since the engine is being reworked or whatever. If it looks good, I guess I'll pick up Ep 1 and 2.

They aren't fixing Ep 1. Might as well just get Ep 2.

(Ep Metal is really awful from what I've see by the way.)

.la1n

For Metal Sonic you just need a save file from Episode 1?

edit: got my answer, please disregard my stupidity

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nice OP, Kulock. Love the gif.
KuGsj.gif

Looking forward to a demo.

That OP post is much better than what Sonic 4 deserves.
LOL, seriously.

Khold said:
I loved the physics in Generations and hated them in Episode 1. Hopefully Episode 2 is more like Generations.
I wouldn't expect Generations-calibre from this game, tbh... It's kind of too bad, since Sonic Generations 3DS actually had nice physics.

Top Bottom