• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox: Wii U to have the best version of Aliens:CM because of more modern tech..

Hot on the heels of Vigil revealing that the Wii U version of Darksiders 2 will look "at least as good as" the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, Gearbox Software has gone one step further, and insisted the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines will be the best-looking version.

Echoing Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford's comments made earlier this month, senior producer Brian Burleson described the Wii U is a "powerful, powerful machine".

Publishers and developers working with Wii U are under orders from Nintendo not to divulge information on the console, with technical specifications a closely guarded secret.
Previous reports have suggested Nintendo's first HD console is "not as capable" as the PS3 and Xbox 360. And Nintendo has issued a statement admitting its focus is on gameplay, not graphics. Eurogamer has been told by developers who wish to remain anonymous that Wii U ports of multiplatform games will look as good as PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, but games built from the ground up for the console will show its true potential.
While Burleson is under the same orders not to discuss the Wii U in detail, he insisted Gearbox has managed to get Aliens: Colonial Marines singing on the machine.
"[Creating the Wii U version] has been pretty easy," he told Eurogamer. "The Wii U is a powerful, powerful machine and it can do a lot of cool new things. And so the game itself, moving it over to work on the Wii U was not much of a chore.

"Now the interesting thing is finding out all the cool ways you can use the controller to do new stuff with it. You can imagine all the cool things we can do, with this franchise and having a thing with you, right?"
Gearbox plans to have Aliens' famous motion tracker displayed on the Wii U controller's touch screen controller, alerting players to the presence of those nasty aliens. There are other applications, too, although publisher Sega intervened in our discussion of them to prevent details from being divulged.
"You can imagine some cool features, for sure," Burleson said. "It's not hard to imagine some cool features."
The Wii U's power, though, is "one thing I can't talk about", he said. "Actually nailing the specs, they haven't come out with them yet."

But, the Wii U version of Aliens will "be better" than the PS3 and Xbox 360 version in terms of visuals, he confirmed. Why? Because of "more modern tech".

What Burleson is alluding to here is the suggestion that because the Wii U contains modern components, it will by default be more powerful than the ageing PS3 and Xbox 360.
How, exactly, will it be better? "You'll have to wait and see," Burleson teased. "Just trust me on that one.
"
Now, all eyes are on the E3 trade show next month, where Nintendo will unveil the final Wii U design, and third-parties will announce their Wii U games and plans.

Eurogamer

Oddduck

Wii U will be amazing. Can't wait till E3.

There's a good reason Nintendo has been so quiet lately. I'm expecting a shitload of surprises.

Erethian

Wii U will be amazing. Can't wait till E3.

There's a good reason Nintendo has been so quiet lately. I'm expecting a shitload of surprises.

Like Retro's new game, probably.

Though I wonder if there's anything to show of Monolith's Wii U game yet.

Started tucking a little money away here and there in anticipation. Nothing worse than buying a console and not having cash for a few games, I want to be ready!

Getting hyped now! E3 is going to be fun...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do Nintendo not even tell devs what tech is in there? Do they at least provide relatively accurate estimates for fillrate/polygon count etc? Or do the devs just have to benchmark it themselves?

oh, and Aliens on WiiU, using the controller as a motion detector, is pretty much the only worthwhile use for the controller I can think of (other than being able to play games on it when the TV is being used to watch Spongebob again)

Game-Biz

Read? "will "be better" than the PS3 and Xbox 360 version in terms of visuals...on the Upad."
fixed.

lol

Also, has there been any discussion on the possibility that Nintendo is paying Gearbox to lie about the Wii U's lack of power at this pretty convenient time to build up false hype before E3? Cause there should be, that'd be entertaining.

I know a lot of people that will be fine with the Wii U being only 50% more powerful then the 360 and PS3, especially when Nintendo create their games on it. Mario and Zelda with such graphical power will probably introduce oné of the most beautiful games with a perfect art design.

rdrr gnr

Free PR. GG, Gearbox.

The important thing here is that it will be a better looking version of Aliens: CM. This says all of nothing. A better looking version of game that looks considerably terrible? Great. Nintendo's E3 PC will speak for itself.

Erethian

how do Nintendo not even tell devs what tech is in there? Do they at least provide relatively accurate estimates for fillrate/polygon count etc? Or do the devs just have to benchmark it themselves?

Uh... he's saying that Nintendo haven't told the public yet. So he can't talk about it specifically.

Doesn't matter, the game will almost certainly fail with the casual Wii U audience. They would have been better off making a simplified cel shaded spin-off where you care for and play with xenomorphs a la Nintendogs.

KAOz

Short bus special
It would be tragicomic if the game actually ended up looking worse on Wii U. How much better is the more important question.

Hopefully alot better.

But, to be fair, it wouldn't be hard. Have you seen the latest trailer? Looks incredibly mediocre visually, except for the lighting-tech I guess.

So yeah, hoping that at least the Wii U version will impress.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I hope for the best, but I remember Gearbox also said that the Wii would be able to handle UE3 before it came out.

Grain of salt with these guys, just sayin.

Don't worry guys, Gearbox promises the Wii U will have more modern tech than 2005 hardware. You can un-cancel those pre-orders now.

are those videos at the bottom of EG randomly chosen, or did they deliberately chose 'chase me' in an article related to graphics of Wii U for an Alien game?

I am not saying that they had some agenda or something, it's just that the theme doesn't match...

MYE

oh, and Aliens on WiiU, using the controller as a motion detector, is pretty much the only worthwhile use for the controller I can think of (other than being able to play games on it when the TV is being used to watch Spongebob again)

Item managment in Diablo-like games?

Commanding troops in RTSs?

Professor Layton on consoles?

Point and click adventures?

Drawing mechanics for games like Okami, Drawn to Life etc...

Sniper Scope view?

Enemy POV in a game like Blood Curse?

Fatal Frame camera?

Scanning stuff, Metroid Prime style, or Lens of Truth-like mechanic revealing hidden stuff

Flight deck view on a new Rogue Squadron?

Drawing annotations, routes and memos on a world map/traveler's diary on a game like Skyrim.

etc, etc...

C'mon, have even a little bit of imagination

Game-Biz

Don't worry guys, Gearbox promises the Wii U will have more modern tech than 2005 hardware. You can un-cancel those pre-orders now.

0405_qqq6q.gif

Jackano

Seems things are slowly shifting toward a positive recognition of Wii U possibilities.
As a Nintendo fan I'm not sur how this is supposed to feel exactly, but it seems this is what you call "third party love".

Developers seems to think "I sell 3M of my game on microsoft's system, 3M on playstation, maybe this time 3M on Nintendo's console too so I better say good words from now".

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hopefully alot better.

But, to be fair, it wouldn't be hard. Have you seen the latest trailer? Looks incredibly mediocre visually, except for the lighting-tech I guess.

So yeah, hoping that at least the Wii U version will impress.

Yeah, dunno what version it is, but for whatever system that it out's on, that particular trailer looks average at best.

yeah, consoles that costed $600 in 2006 and didn't start making profit or work without going RROD until 2010?

remnant

Banned

So we are jumping between "the WiiU is weaker than the 360/PS3 to "It's more powerful, but who cares?"

Make up your mind people.

Top Bottom