• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox: Wii U to have the best version of Aliens:CM because of more modern tech..

Oddduck

Don't worry guys, Gearbox promises the Wii U will have more modern tech than 2005 hardware. You can un-cancel those pre-orders now.

It took six years but finally we have an HD console that doesn't RROD, yellow ring of death, or break down.

Sounds exciting to me.

Danielsan

Creating the Wii U version has been pretty easy," he told Eurogamer. "The Wii U is a powerful, powerful machine and it can do a lot of cool new things. And so the game itself, moving it over to work on the Wii U was not much of a chore.

"Now the interesting thing is finding out all the cool ways you can use the controller to do new stuff with it. You can imagine all the cool things we can do, with this franchise and having a thing with you, right?"

You can imagine some cool features, for sure," Burleson said. "It's not hard to imagine some cool features."
Well, it sure sounds "cool".

GCX

I almost posted that thank god E3 is soon enough so these threads will die.

But then I realized Nintendo will probably never release the exact specs of WiiU and the madness will continue for months to come.

satoru-iwata.jpg

Hai.

darthdago

So powerful, powerful eh?

2 Wii's combined?

Basically if you take the rumored 2GB of RAM and compare it to the 88MB in Wii you will find out that it's around 23 Wiis combined!!

But to be serious.
It was clear that WiiU will be more powerful and Nintendo only wants to safe all surprises for E3!!

Coolwhip

Banned
Basically if you take the rumored 2GB of RAM and compare it to the 88MB in Wii you will find out that it's around 23 Wiis combined!!

But to be serious.
It was clear that WiiU will be more powerful and Nintendo only wants to safe all surprises for E3!!

Nah, Nintendo honestly doesn't want to talk about tech. Even in the Gamecube era when their console was actually very impressive, and Sony + MS were throwing '100 million polygons per second' around. Nintendo was conservative. Marketing wise it's a bad choice imo, but that's Nintendo.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
really curious to see how also these explicit words about graphical comparison and power between Wii U and actual HD twins can be turned against Nintendo :p

Maybe this time we will say "Wow" for real? I hope

wsippel

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo is working with Gearbox and Epic on engine optimization. Would be beneficial for all three. And I believe Nintendo actually has a few devs dedicated to 3rd party middleware porting and optimization.

Portugeezer

I wouldn't believe a thing they said either way after the shameless bullshit they said about DNF.
Sure, whatever makes you feel better.

But that wasn't Brian Burleson.

This is a different story, they say Wii U is more powerful and Wii U version will look better, so we will be able to see this.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
"Why? Because of "more modern tech" ."
I know that wiiu is "powerful, powerful", but why "modern" and not "powerful"? Hmmm... Maybe i'm thinking too much.

Bitter, are we?

You missed the point. We know it will be more powerful, we don't need Gearbox to tell us that. What we want to know is how much.
PS3 is sold at $249.

Wii U sold at $300-$350, may be only more powerful than PS3 to just support the extra output on the controller screen; I am not sure if that much powerful, considering how much the controller is going cost.

So not bitter, just pointing out irrational expectations.

Yalstromo

Banned
Hot on the heels of Vigil revealing that the Wii U version of Darksiders 2 will look "at least as good as" the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, Gearbox Software has gone one step further, and insisted the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines will be the best-looking version.

Echoing Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford's comments made earlier this month, senior producer Brian Burleson described the Wii U is a "powerful, powerful machine".

Publishers and developers working with Wii U are under orders from Nintendo not to divulge information on the console, with technical specifications a closely guarded secret.
Previous reports have suggested Nintendo's first HD console is "not as capable" as the PS3 and Xbox 360. And Nintendo has issued a statement admitting its focus is on gameplay, not graphics. Eurogamer has been told by developers who wish to remain anonymous that Wii U ports of multiplatform games will look as good as PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, but games built from the ground up for the console will show its true potential.
While Burleson is under the same orders not to discuss the Wii U in detail, he insisted Gearbox has managed to get Aliens: Colonial Marines singing on the machine.
"[Creating the Wii U version] has been pretty easy," he told Eurogamer. "The Wii U is a powerful, powerful machine and it can do a lot of cool new things. And so the game itself, moving it over to work on the Wii U was not much of a chore.

"Now the interesting thing is finding out all the cool ways you can use the controller to do new stuff with it. You can imagine all the cool things we can do, with this franchise and having a thing with you, right?"
Gearbox plans to have Aliens' famous motion tracker displayed on the Wii U controller's touch screen controller, alerting players to the presence of those nasty aliens. There are other applications, too, although publisher Sega intervened in our discussion of them to prevent details from being divulged.
"You can imagine some cool features, for sure," Burleson said. "It's not hard to imagine some cool features."
The Wii U's power, though, is "one thing I can't talk about", he said. "Actually nailing the specs, they haven't come out with them yet."

But, the Wii U version of Aliens will "be better" than the PS3 and Xbox 360 version in terms of visuals, he confirmed. Why? Because of "more modern tech".

What Burleson is alluding to here is the suggestion that because the Wii U contains modern components, it will by default be more powerful than the ageing PS3 and Xbox 360.
How, exactly, will it be better? "You'll have to wait and see," Burleson teased. "Just trust me on that one.
"
Now, all eyes are on the E3 trade show next month, where Nintendo will unveil the final Wii U design, and third-parties will announce their Wii U games and plans.

Eurogamer

So end of story:
It's ~as strong as a PS3/Xbox360 (minimal stronger), but with "newer" tech/hardware.
Aha.... still crappy hardware.

Good news about the Wii U? This thread will be lucky if it gets to page 3.
Good? Because it has the hardware power of a over 6 year old console?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Modern = more up to date.

Can be read as more efficient/optimised/faster etc

I know, but there are various grades of modern hardware, from powerful to basic, modern hardware is clearly better than 5-6 years older hardware, but modern != powerful

"Why? Because of "more modern tech" ."

Modern, not powerful... Hmmm...

Modern tech basically means tech of the last two years or maybe even this year. The 360 is 7 years old and the PS3 is 6 years old. Even if they say the tech is modern instead of powerful, it would still mean that it completely blows the current gen consoles out of the water.

So end of story:
It's ~as strong as a PS3/Xbox360 (minimal stronger), but with "newer" tech/hardware.

Oh you know the hardware do you Junior? or you just talking shit Juniors dont come back you know so unless you know what you talking about best not to say troll like thing about stuff you not seen yet

I know, but there are various grades of modern hardware, from powerful to basic, modern hardware is clearly better than 5-6 years older hardware, but modern != powerful
who cares if it's more powerful or modern, etc. as long as the result is that it can make games look better?

Coolwhip

Banned
So end of story:

Thanks for your very insightful analyses and conclusion.

I forgot about trolls turning even positive news with some impressive spinning into Wii U hate anyway. 2+ pages incoming!

Portugeezer

Maybe in terms of power consumption modern hardware with similar capabilities uses less power, but the game will look better on Wii U so why does this matter? It's better hardware.

wsippel

Banned
Well nothing that was said in the earlier article with Vigil and the anonymous developer contradicts what Gearbox is saying in this article. Not that that matters.
Not only that, all three are actually saying the exact same thing. The system is more powerful and can do a lot more, but it requires customized and optimized code and assets to show it.

CoolS

Cmd. Pishad'aç;38187630 said:
The internet is still facing this one with a grain of salt.

The Wii U simply can't be next gen, people will die from denialitis.

They will die anyway then because WiiU is next gen. end of story.

99%

Oh you know the hardware do you Junior? or you just talking shit Juniors dont come back you know so unless you know what you talking about best not to say troll like thing about stuff you not seen yet

Talking down to members about their status is very 2006.

Just like Wii U hardware.

remnant

Banned
So end of story:

These comments would mean something if so may people didn't try so hard to push the idea that the WiiU wasn't more powerful and maybe even weaker starting from e3 last year.

You can't have it both ways

Erethian

Not only that, all three are actually saying the exact same thing. The system is more powerful and can do a lot more, but it requires customized and optimized code and assets to show it.

Which is pretty much going to be the same for every new console, except for maybe some extra IQ if the overhead on that is lower with the new hardware.

For not saying very much at all, these sorts of threads sure have gotten a lot of attention.

Wait until after E3 and all its demos and trailers and discover that nothing will have changed even then. Now that will be amazing.
I used to be surprised at these stuff once I joined GAF nearly a year ago and tried to discuss over them to death... but gradually it stopped even being surprising

current status: popcorn.gif

Fou-Lu

The best part is, GAF is a safe haven compared to other forums, like IGN or Gamefaqs. Anyone remember how bad the old Nsider forums could get? :D

It's why I never really get frustrated with people on forums anymore, my Nsider years hardened me and made me jaded.

J-Rock

Banned
So end of story:

I completely agree with you Yalstromo. The Wii U will be a shitty console with no games. The hardware will be weak and only moms will buy it. Sony and Microsoft will put out super consoles that will make the Wii U look like it plays N64 games. Sony will make a better tablet because they have smarter scientists. Microsoft will make better online because they have smarter internet people. Nintendo will only release games where you play as a pony or pet cats all day. Hardcore gamers won't buy the Wii U because they know Sony and Microsoft will release better consoles next year. Wii U will have horrible online because Nintendo is afraid of pedofiles. Zelda Wii U will look like a catoon and adults don't like cartoons. Kids will buy the Wii U but get bored with it because cartoon games are boring. The Wii U tablet doesn't have 3D and people love 3D. Mario games are all the same and Nintendo is out of ideas. People want new ideas so they will buy Sony and Microsoft consoles. Sony will have the best graphics next gen and Microsoft will be second. The console with the best graphics always sells the most and wins the gen. Casual gamers only buy Apple stuff so Nintendo will not make much money next gen. The only games the Wii U will get are old ports. The Wii U tablet looks like a toy and no real gamer is going to buy a toy. Everyone I know wants to buy the next Sony and Microsoft console and don't care about the Wii U. Tablet controllers are retard. A real gamer plays with a real controller that doesn't try to copy the iPhone. The Wii U won't even have any good launch games. Nobody cares about Pikmin because it sounds like a stupid japan game. Call of Duty will have better graphics on the PS4 and Xbox720. The only original games the Wii U will get from third parties are dance games. Even my brother thinks that the Wii U will bomb because people like Sony and Microsoft better becuase Sony makes good tv's and Microsoft makes good computer but my mom is excited for the Wii U because she is a casual gamer and doesn't understand what good graphics are but I will not buy the Wii U because it will have the worst graphics and the worst games and the worst online and the worst controller and the worst HD.

bomma_man

I completely agree with you Yalstromo. The Wii U will be a shitty console with no games. The hardware will be weak and only moms will buy it. Sony and Microsoft will put out super consoles that will make the Wii U look like it plays N64 games. Sony will make a better tablet because they have smarter scientists. Microsoft will make better online because they have smarter internet people. Nintendo will only release games where you play as a pony or pet cats all day. Hardcore gamers won't buy the Wii U because they know Sony and Microsoft will release better consoles next year. Wii U will have horrible online because Nintendo is afraid of pedofiles. Zelda Wii U will look like a catoon and adults don't like cartoons. Kids will buy the Wii U but get bored with it because cartoon games are boring. The Wii U tablet doesn't have 3D and people love 3D. Mario games are all the same and Nintendo is out of ideas. People want new ideas so they will buy Sony and Microsoft consoles. Sony will have the best graphics next gen and Microsoft will be second. The console with the best graphics always sells the most and wins the gen. Casual gamers only buy Apple stuff so Nintendo will not make much money next gen. The only games the Wii U will get are old ports. The Wii U tablet looks like a toy and no real gamer is going to buy a toy. Everyone I know wants to buy the next Sony and Microsoft console and don't care about the Wii U. Tablet controllers are retard. A real gamer plays with a real controller that doesn't try to copy the iPhone. The Wii U won't even have any good launch games. Nobody cares about Pikmin because it sounds like a stupid japan game. Call of Duty will have better graphics on the PS4 and Xbox720. The only original games the Wii U will get from third parties are dance games. Even my brother thinks that the Wii U will bomb because people like Sony and Microsoft better becuase Sony makes good tv's and Microsoft makes good computer but my mom is excited for the Wii U because she is a casual gamer and doesn't understand what good graphics are but I will not buy the Wii U because it will have the worst graphics and the worst games and the worst online and the worst controller and the worst HD.

E0fSP.gif

Fuck, I'm going to be so goddamn excited for their press conference. Too bad it's on at 3am in Australia. Guess I'll be tired at work.

Top Bottom