• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay bar bans bachelorette parties

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Abbey nightclub in West Hollywood, Calif., regularly welcomes customers who are not gay. But operators say there will be an exception to that policy until same-sex marriage is legal across the land.

“We love our straight girlfriends coming in to celebrate one of the happiest days of their life," says Abbey owner David Cooley. "But it’s also a slap in the face to my customers and my life that we can’t have that same celebration.”

Male go-go dancers are just one reason why one of America's most popular gay bars has become a big draw for straight women's bachelorette parties.

Each weekend, The Abbey hosts several dozen ladies night parties. But Cooley says, no more. Until marriage is legal for everyone, straight women can no longer celebrate their pending nuptials at his club.

His position is getting mixed reviews from both gay and straight customers.

“Everyone should be able to get married," says Roshanna Sabaratnam. "We shouldn’t, as straight people, be flaunting it in front of people who can’t.”

But, there are also some gay customers who disagree.

“I think the ban is an interesting approach to the debate about gay marriage," says Alexander Villalobos. "But I think you shouldn’t limit other people’s rights in order to get yours.”

It is pretty frustrating having women celebrating their marriage when you're legally denied the same thing. But ultimately I think its just the right tactic in the wrong place. These women probably support gay marriage or at the very least wouldn't be opposed to it. So the only real person being hurt is the business owner.

But ultimately I think its just the right tactic in the wrong place. These women probably support gay marriage or at the very least wouldn't be opposed to it. So the only real person being hurt is the business owner.

That's exactly the sentiment I get from this. Except for it being the right tactic. Alienating supporters of your cause like this isn't smart, period.

Ultima_5

Fair enough. It's a private establishment and can refuse service to anyone they see fit. Probably losing quite alot of $ though

This is really stupid. Just really stupid. Let's ban people who probably support gay marriage just because customers are jealous...

Wasn't there a judge recently who said they weren't going to do any straight marriages until their state allowed gay marriages?

Sounds silly to me. Why deny fun to people who clearly have no problem with you? Plus, why say no to money?

Civil disobedience always inconveniences at least one or more parties.

Davidion

I can understand his outrage but this is just being spiteful; next to no one responsible for his frustrations will be remotely impacted by this.

Time will tell if the publicity generated will really amount to anything.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
How can a business man turn down MONEY in this day and age? Bachelorette parties are full of drunken sloppy women throwing money around for shots.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
OK, so the deal is with gay bars, is in a sense they are supposed to be a safe, comfortable place for gay folks. And not everyone is out of the closet.

It would be really fucking annoying for a bunch of women, who may get drunk and obnoxious, to come in for their bachelor party because they want the novelty of going to a gay bar.

Fuck them, gay people aren't accessories there for their whimsy.

FoneBone

I'd oppose any effort to ban women from a gay bar altogether, but I'm not really seeing the issue here? There's an ugly gays-as-zoo-exhibit condescension that tends to pervade these sort of things.

OK, so the deal is with gay bars, is in a sense they are supposed to be a safe, comfortable place for gay folks. And not everyone is out of the closet.

It would be really fucking annoying for a bunch of women, who may get drunk and obnoxious, to come in for their bachelor party because they want the novelty of going to a gay bar.

Fuck them, gay people are accessories there for their whimsy.

I've seen a lot of those groups of women in gay clubs. Everything is also a picture worthy moment. Its like they're exploring into the rainforest and documenting rare species. Its a rare event for them. Its a friday night for everyone else.

Daaamn, bravo. Amazing you could twist this one. Bravo.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

ivysaur12

Banned
I get it, I guess. I don't really go there that often because it's a huge scene, but it is kind of weird that in a state where gay people can't get married, straight women are celebrating their marriage in a club designed for patrons who's rights were taken away by a state vote.

And really, the last thing that gay clubs need are more women.

I've seen a lot of those groups of women in gay clubs. Everything is also a picture worthy moment. Its like they're exploring into the rainforest and documenting rare species. Its a rare event for them. Its a friday night for everyone else.

Sometimes this. Sometimes women want to go places where they feel safe. Really depends on the bar. But The Abbey feels like its sometimes more women then men. Among other reasons that bar sucks.

Orayn

This is a perfectly good reason for the ban.

...I'll give it about two hours before Fox News spins it into an epidemic of anti-straight discrimination.

Wolfe

Fighting inequality with inequality!

Fuck yea!

Yeah, instead of inequality for some it's inequality for all (thus making them all equal while in that establishment).

Not really understanding why some of you are seeing this negatively, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with what he's doing.

Sure some have said that in doing so he's alienating people that agree with him, well wouldn't they then in turn agree that it's unfair to the gay guys there that can't get married that they can have these parties right in their faces?

They can still have their parties elsewere, he just doesn't want them taking place at HIS bar until all of his patrons can enjoy the same rights and benefits. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

What I feel is more unfair is that people are getting upset and crying foul about this when the dude is just trying to stand up for what he believes in. Who cares if he loses money, he is getting his voice out there and causing people to take notice, which is far better than doing nothing and hoping things will get better.

That's my take on it at least.

His loss. They'll just go to another gay bar. Who taught him how to run a business?

I dunno, maybe he doesn't give a shit about that and just wants equal rights for gay people?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
How can a business man turn down MONEY in this day and age? Bachelorette parties are full of drunken sloppy women throwing money around for shots.

To be honest, this probably isn't some marriage equality thing at all.

They probably just want to decrease the number of women there. Especially if those women are treating the gays as some sort of zoo attraction and it's subsequently leading to a lower level patronage of their main clientele. Of course this scenario is absolutely discriminatory so they wouldn't be able to come out and say it.

who knows though perhaps i'm just being cynical.

His loss. They'll just go to another gay bar. Who taught him how to run a business?

Well, if his bar isn't a publicly traded company that answers to investors, I don't understand this comment. Obviously, most business owners want to make some money, but not every business strives to maximize profits at the expense of everything else.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
To be honest, this probably isn't some marriage equality thing at all.

They probably just want to decrease the number of women there. Especially if those women are treating the gays as some sort of zoo attraction and it's subsequently leading to a lower level patronage of their main clientele. Of course this scenario is absolutely discriminatory so they wouldn't be able to come out and say it.

who knows though perhaps i'm just being cynical.

You aren't being cyncial. I see it every friday/saturday night out in the Castro. There are far more drunk straight chicks latching onto each other by the end of the night crawling out of Castro gay bars, then I ever see a gay man/woman do. Most of them have gone onto other spots in the city that have been kinda claimed as the new "best gay bars" in the city.

Oppo

Fuck them, gay people aren't accessories there for their whimsy.

Well fucking said.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
So he's being bitter? Ugh. That's no better than intolerance dood, don't stoop down to the oppressor's level!
This article makes me wonder; do straight men casually make their bachelor parties at lesbian bars?
Can anyone shed some light on this?

So he's being bitter? Ugh. That's no better than intolerance dood, don't stoop down to the oppressor's level!
This article makes me wonder; do straight men casually make their bachelor parties at lesbian bars?

No, they most certainly do not.

of course not, all the best straight men bachelor parties end the night at a good ol fashioned leather bar.

ChiTownBuffalo

Yeah. Second this. I've been to lesbian bars and its disconcerting to have women stare at you angrily when you try and use the urinal. But I get I was totally invading their space.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Thanks, I was wondering because this article made me think about it, I learned something new today.

** Crosses out Lesbian Bar Bachelor Party **

Leather bar? I guess there's always hiring Razor Ramon to give me some full-on leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom