• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay bar bans bachelorette parties

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand trying to curb cachelorette parties, as they can get annoying as hell. I just think the excuse was a bit flimsy, and they didn't want to be honest about it.

"You can have water at the fountain sure, that fountain over there."

Do you really not understand why this analogy is broken?

Hint: There is no gay privilege in this scenario.

It's more like "Until we are allowed access to the same fountain, no one gets a water fountain, deal with it."

Having worked in a lot of gay bars I am so happy this place has done this. Whenever we had a batchelorette party come in I always felt like they treated the gay bar like some kind of zoo.

Its uncomfortable when your at a place and expect to be able to relax and be yourself and there's a group of people there thinking the entire crowd is some kind of entertainment.

Wolfe

Do you really not understand why this analogy is broken?

Hint: There is no gay privilege in this scenario.

It's more like "Until we are allowed access to the same fountain, no one gets a water fountain, deal with it."

It kind of surprises me that people are having a hard time seeing it this way, instead it's all just "lolol learn how to run a business dood" or "you're no better off than the people discriminating against gays!".

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Thanks, I was wondering because this article made me think about it, I learned something new today.

** Crosses out Lesbian Bar Bachelor Party **

Leather bar? I guess there's always hiring Razor Ramon to give me some full-on leather.

Yeah. Chicago has Int'l Mr. Leather stuff. The dudes there are built like pro wrestlers.

2530241168_f1fdec6d3d_m.jpg

3567303675_0a7f6ce67d_m.jpg

4654360276_370ce32aaa_m.jpg

dojokun

Banned
I live in L.A., and even though I'm straight I've been to The Abbey a couple times. Also, driving on Santa Monica Blvd I pass by it a lot. That place is PACKED on weekends so tight you can barely move around. The line to get in extends out in front of neighboring businesses. Chances are the owner is losing no money at all by banning bachelorette parties.

Fair. Reminds me of the gay judge who refused to marry straight couples until gays could marry. It's a thoughtful protest. There are other places, and certainly other gay bars, that would more than welcome the business. This one establishment refusing them service isn't going to hurt them any.

BeesEight

The indignation in his thread is amusing.

I don't see how this is a bad thing. The owner is using what resources he has at hand to raise awareness of an issue that means a lot to him. Even if it gets one woman to reconsider her stance on gay marriage and be more supportive when otherwise she wouldn't have given it a second thought, then he has been successful.

While I certainly understand people being upset, I can't agree with this. I'm not sure discriminating against a small group of people is fair in response to being discriminated against yourself. And I do kind of cringe at calling this discrimination or comparing it to what gay people are faced with, but it's still people being treated differently for no good reason.

Fair. Reminds me of the gay judge who refused to marry straight couples until gays could marry. It's a thoughtful protest. There are other places, and certainly other gay bars, that would more than welcome the business. This one establishment refusing them service isn't going to hurt them any.

This.

If you look at it from the perspective of the women celebrating an impending wedding, don't you think it's a bit insensitive to do so in a place where the majority customer base are fighting for that same right? It's a bit self-absorbed to me.

While I certainly understand people being upset, I can't agree with this. I'm not sure discriminating against a small group of people is fair in response to being discriminated against yourself. And I do kind of cringe at calling this discrimination or comparing it to what gay people are faced with, but it's still people being treated differently for no good reason.

They can have their party anywhere. You're right, their situations aren't similar in any way, shape, or form, so there's really no comparison.

Oppo

I don't support businesses discriminating though. It's not hard to come up with a comparable situation based on race

I totally discriminate against neo nazis and would throw them out of my bar.

No it's not the same. But they've banned an event, if a straight bar did that an just said "those events are a pain in the ass" no one would blink.

derder

They aren't banning women. They are banning bachelorette parties.

I understand what you're saying and am entirely on your side with this.

From what I've heard, women really need a bar to go to where they won't get creeped on; at least in Raleigh. Gay bars are the universal choice for these sorts of events.

Question to GA(y)Fers: Do you tire of large groups of straight women at these clubs?

One of my favorite bars became a lesbian bar at some point last year. It become increasingly awkward to buy girls drinks to initiate conversation and I gave up that bar entirely.

The indignation in his thread is amusing.

I don't see how this is a bad thing. The owner is using what resources he has at hand to raise awareness of an issue that means a lot to him. Even if it gets one woman to reconsider her stance on gay marriage and be more supportive when otherwise she wouldn't have given it a second thought, then he has been successful.

No, it's the idea that it just comes off as petty. It's not accomplishing anything, no one is taking this as a serious protest, you're just pissing off customers and I would be surprised if the chicks going to gay bars are hard right-wingers who hate gay people. It's just a store owner possibly its customers and losing business.

derder

Having worked in a lot of gay bars I am so happy this place has done this. Whenever we had a batchelorette party come in I always felt like they treated the gay bar like some kind of zoo.

Its uncomfortable when your at a place and expect to be able to relax and be yourself and there's a group of people there thinking the entire crowd is some kind of entertainment.

This is exactly what I was expecting to hear. I assumed that most would feel patronized.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I don't support businesses discriminating though. It's not hard to come up with a comparable situation based on race

Ron Paul supporters hate you.

It's like...a healthy child having her birthday in a terminal cancer ward where no one present is going to live more than a month or so. It's inappropriate.

This is really stupid. Just really stupid. Let's ban people who probably support gay marriage just because customers are jealous...

Maybe those jealous gays are just people who don't want be looked at as source of entertainment by groups of women, and find such attention dehumanizing.

I understand what you're saying and am entirely on your side with this.

From what I've heard, women really need a bar to go to where they won't get creeped on; at least in Raleigh. Gay bars are the universal choice for these sorts of events.

Question to GA(y)Fers: Do you tire of large groups of straight women at these clubs?

One of my favorite bars became a lesbian bar at some point last year. It become increasingly awkward to buy girls drinks to initiate conversation and I gave up that bar entirely.

Thats what my girl friends say. They want to go dance and not get grinded on. I don't have a problem with women at the bar. Once you move out on to the dance floor its so big that the large groups of women aren't a problem (or any large group). Its in the bar/cabaret area that it gets on my nerves.

Wolfe

No, it's the idea that it just comes off as petty. It's not accomplishing anything, no one is taking this as a serious protest, you're just pissing off customers and I would be surprised if the chicks going to gay bars are hard right-wingers who hate gay people. It's just a store owner possibly its customers and losing business.

It's not accomplishing anything? That's just straight up false, it's causing discussion for one. Also I'm sure the people that side with him are taking it seriously. Whether good or bad it's definitely accomplishing something.

To be fair to the owner, I am in no position to get married anytime soon (I can't even find a BF!). So I definitely don't understand his distress of being unable to marry the person he loves.

What? This makes no sense at all to me (poor analogy incoming), it would be like if some guy couldn't buy a car (for whatever reason) and I said "to be fair to that guy, I don't even own a car. So I don't understand why he's upset that he can only rent one."

Is it really that hard to place yourself in his position for a second? Are people just not very empathetic?

Suairyu

Banned
I'll say this much: the explosion of interest in the gay scene by straight women in the '90s was when it shifted from being the scene that was the vanguard of new music and fashions for three decades running, and instead turned into a backwards-looking bad disco and pop revival.

Amen, but I have to say that this thread was so worthy it for Copericus' little break from reality.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
So he's being bitter? Ugh. That's no better than intolerance dood, don't stoop down to the oppressor's level!
This article makes me wonder; do straight men casually make their bachelor parties at lesbian bars?
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Dudes are about as welcome as a turd in a punch bowl at a lesbian bar. I've had several lesbian friends, and while they'd invite me to come out for drinks, I only made the mistake of actually going twice. The first time I thought it was just an off night. The second time the bartender was kind enough to clue me in that it didn't matter that I wasn't looking at women or hitting on them. I was in their space.

Maybe those jealous gays are just people who don't want be looked at as source of entertainment by groups of women, and find such attention dehumanizing.
That's because it is. That's a whole different situation from "going out with 'the girls'" when your "girls" may not all have the same equipment. It's a lot closer to the human zoo people mentioned above. If you were a bunch of white dudes going to a blues bar to take pictures of "the black man in his natural environment", you'd rightly get the shit kicked out of you.

ElFly

The spirit is not bad, but the idea is kind of stupid. You are just cutting off a big meeting point for straight women and gay people.

ivysaur12

Banned
The spirit is not bad, but the idea is kind of stupid. You are just cutting off a big meeting point for straight women and gay people.

These women already love gays. Frankly, I'm a little sick of them at gay clubs, but that's just my opinion on the matter.
I also only really go to gay clubs like The Abbey when I get dragged there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This doesn't sound like the right tactic at all since girls that have bachelorette parties at gay bars probably already support Gay Marriage.

Fair enough. It's a private establishment and can refuse service to anyone they see fit. Probably losing quite alot of $ though

I am betting you're the same guy who would shit a brick if a night club didn't allow gay themed parties.

This club is bullshit.....fuck it.

VALIS

Seems like a silly reason, I'd think they'd want to ban those parties so as not to have to deal mobs of women treating them and their bar and their every day lives like playtoys or accessories.

Seems like a silly reason, I'd think they'd want to ban those parties so as not to have to deal mobs of women treating them and their bar and their every day lives like playtoys or accessories.

Believe me. I've been at bars when this is happening. It's all part of it.

The regulars will cheer.

FoneBone

That probably is the real reason, and I strongly suspect that the explanation they're offering is a little disingenuous. Either way, I don't object.

Slime

Banned
I support this small act of protest if only because someone wrote a story about it and hopefully it'll cause some people to mull over the issue. Every little bit that gets people thinking helps.

akira28

5 Reasons Straight Guys Should Go To Gay Bars(Facebook)

1. There are hot girls there
This is hands down the best kept secret about gay bars. It never even occured to me straight girls would go to them. And not only do they go, they go in PACKS. If this fact were featured more prominently in the straight guy handbook, I would have visited The Toolbox a long time ago… ok, maybe not The Toolbox, and probably not The Mine Shaft, but you get the idea.

And yes, drunk girls can be annoying.

But I kind of grok what this guy is doing. It's just a delicate and non-offensive way to make a point and share the pain of the ban of sorts. Sure he'll take a hit, but he's willing to do that to let people know how it is to want to do something and not be allowed to. And it's another way to remind the straights that we all share the same planet, but not everyone is considered equal. It's easy to forget that when everyone is having a good time. I'm sure he isn't going to toss out a group of women if they show up with caps, looking for a good time. He may just explicitly ban batchelorette parties, he's not anti-hetero or anti-woman, he wants publicity for the cause, and he's getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom