• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need a work out routine to tone up my torso, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
DISCLAIMER: I already tried the Fitness OT but got no response, It also seems to me that everyone there is obssesed with training every single muscle in their bodies and are pretty hardcore, whereas I am a newby and have no idea where to start or what to do and I just care about my torso.

I am 34 years old, male, 5'5 height and 140 pounds but losing weight and currently doing 45 minutes of (relatively) high impact cardio and and my torso is getting a bit flabby so it's about time I start doing something but I don't want to go to a gym and have a trainer send me to multiple machines to work on parts of my body I really don't care about and I am looking for some basic, harmless but effective work out routine that I can do at home to tone up my torso, up to my shoulders, I don't care much about arm muscles or anything else.

So, What can I do at home to help me avoid the flabbyness that comes with losing weight?

sit-ups? Push ups? how many of them? should I do sets? any exercises that are particularly effective and can be done at home? any videos that ilustrate the right way to do them?

thanks anyone willing to help me, I really appreciate it.

h1nch

Do crunches.

FYI there's a reason why most people recommend working out all of your muscle groups...

sphinx

the piano man
But then you will have pencil legs! This is a terrible idea.

all of my body is pretty proportional, it's just the flabby part on my belly that bothers me right now. When I get that specific part of my body in form, I'll look for other parts to improve.

Chin ups, push ups, bench press, squat, deadlift. \thread

how many? in sets? in what order? any video that shows how to do them?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
You need to tone up your muscles with some BroScience. Also be sure to avoid fats in your diet.

Or just check the official fitness thread.

Do crunches.

FYI there's a reason why most people recommend working out all of your muscle groups...

Crunches are bad dude, goodbye to your neck. OP I suggest you just do lots of cardio because its excellent for your heart. Look into HIIT, it will tone you UP. Also, stay nice and hydrated all day. Like REAL hydrated. Like a glass of water every 2 hours.

sphinx

the piano man
Or just check the official fitness thread.

I already did, and it's WAY to hardcore, the opening post is like 5 posts long and has about everything to turn into a professional bodybuilder and so is the tone of everyone talking there so I don't think anyone cares about my flabby torso and its needs. That's why I am opening a thread, in hopes of getting one person to suggest a routine...

grumble

Well did you read the op of the fitness thread?

It will explain a lot and clear up many of your misconceptions.

Zoe

1) There's no such thing as spot reduction. Abs are made in the kitchen.

2) You can run into problems if you tone up one set of muscles but not the opposing set.

If you do crunches, you need to do more than just basic up and down. Add in side crunches for each side and pelvic or leg lifts to get the lower abs. Rocking and walking hovers can be pretty brutal too.

Oppo

Buy a kettlebell. Look up the basic swing on YouTube. Forget everything else. Well except the water tip, that's very good too.

Also, as the rabbit above says, it's really about your diet. But kettlebell exercise is Super Effective.

IceCold

You don't want to go to the gym? Then do P90X or something. Otherwise buy yourself a power rack and weights and do compound lifts. You can try the Starting Strength workout or something similar (basically a workout that is based on compound lifts).

Jay Sosa

Good basic and easy exercises (you don't need any weights for) are squats, dips and chin ups. I personally can't do push ups cause it hurts my wrists but they're pretty effective as well.

You should also get some weights and if you have the room a bench and a barbell. Doesn't cost much and you can do almost all basic exercises.

There are tons of free websites that give good advice and lots of youtube channels as well. I personally really like Scott Hermann's channel.

MDR1750

Neo Member
you can't spot remove fat. your body will decide where the fat comes off, and your core is typically the last place to lose it.

crunches and ab exercises make your abs bigger. they dont remove the fat covering them.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I already did, and it's WAY to hardcore, the opening post is like 5 posts long and has about everything to turn into a professional bodybuilder and so is the tone of everyone talking there so I don't think anyone cares about my flabby torso and its needs. That's why I am opening a thread, in hopes of getting one person to suggest a routine...

Stop being a sissy. Seriously though, it's the best place to go for fitness advice on this board, and all you really need is to do a routine like Starting Strengh or Stronglifts. Definitely no trainer required, and only 3 days a week. You do need a gym that allows real weight lifting, though.

this guy

Uh, no it's not. At the core, the first posts provide a great routine for beginners that WILL show results if you eat right. Compound lifts man, compound lifts.

You don't just "tone up." And you're not gonna get six pack abs and a barrel chest by doing crunches and pushups. And even if you ended up with a six pack and a big chest by some method, you'd look weird if the rest of your body was skinny/fat and out of proportion. I've seen those people. They look weird.

If you're dead set against lifting with free weights for whatever reason, take up a sport of something. You'll get the fat loss if you play hard, and get a little stronger too.

Esch

Banned

You will not become a professional bodybuilder if you read a little bit.

It has the exact kind of answers to your questions, and even routines for how to get started. You're just being lazy

sphinx

the piano man
I understand what you guys are saying about the balance of exercising different parts but it's not like I need to train my legs and/or butt to build a nice torso, do I??

gonna search for a while some suggestions, in the meantime, if anyone can suggest a site or place that would give specific routines, that would help.

I sort of know what I should do but I need precise quantities of how and when to repeat a set and all that stuff.

While I thank everyone for their input, general "Do stuff" suggestions won't help me much :(

Mid 30's trying to lose your belly fat without being to "hard core".... Good Luck!

P90x and eating right for 3 months and I bet you would see results.

Srsly

Banned
hey guyz i just want to tone up my body but im afraid of getting all bulky and stuff. like if i lift wont i gain a bunch of muscle and look like a body builder? do you have any tips so i can easily tone up without putting in much effort because if i try i might end up turning into a big bulky body builder without even realizing it. i eat pizza every day, is this ok?

Esch

Banned
hey guyz i just want to tone up my body but im afraid of getting all bulky and stuff. like if i lift wont i gain a bunch of muscle and look like a body builder? do you have any tips so i can easily tone up without putting in much effort because if i try i might end up turning into a big bulky body builder without even realizing it. i eat pizza every day, is this ok?

Zoe

I understand what you guys are saying about the balance of exercising different parts but it's not like I need to train my legs and/or butt to build a nice torso, do I??

You should work your back in tandem with working your core and chest.

All the good back exercises work your legs and shoulders as well.

Maxim726X

gonna search for a while some suggestions, in the meantime, if anyone can suggest a site or place that would give specific routines, that would help.

I sort of know what I should do but I need precise quantities of how and when to repeat a set and all that stuff.

While I thank everyone for their input, general "Do stuff" suggestions won't help me much :(

Actually, one of the most common misconceptions of weight loss (especially the gut) is that you can lose it by specifically targeting that area... It absolutely does NOT work that way. There is some good advice in here- basic compound lifts (Pull up, bench press, deadlift, squat) are excellent for you. That will raise your muscle mass and thus your BMR. Then you can throw in some cardio... And eat right.

You will look great, feel great- Be great.

sphinx

the piano man
If you read the first post in the fitness thread, you probably wouldn't have needed to make this thread.

It has the exact kind of answers to your questions, and even routines for how to get started. You're just being lazy

I browsed the thread again but it's like getting a whole encyclopedia when all you are looking is for some basic article that tells you in very simple form, for idiots, if you want, about what exactly can be done at home to begin working out.

I am terribly sorry, I'll keep reading the OP there, maybe I can find something that helps me.

sphinx

the piano man

you guys understand I am asking for help here, right?

you like being assholes, or what?

Esch

Banned
you guys understand I am asking for help here, right?

you like being assholes, or what?

I love being an asshole.

Here's my recommendation then. Lift 2 days a week. One day do bench(dumbell or barbell is fine) and deadlift, 3 sets of 5 repetitions apiece. Same weight all three. The other day do squats 3x5 and chin ups like a beast. if you can get your hands on a strap so that you can do weighted chins, but dont bother with that unless you can crank out 3x5 chins in good, perfect form. Eat meat, eggs, butter, milk, and all the veggies you want. Eat fruit and grains sparingly. Try and get good sleep. Dont worry about the rest.

Srsly

Banned
I browsed the thread again but it's like getting a whole encyclopedia when all you are looking is for some basic article that tells you in very simple form, for idiots, if you want, about what exactly can be done at home to begin working out.

I am terribly sorry, I'll keep reading the OP there, maybe I can find something that helps me.

To "tone up", you must lose body fat. To lose body fat, you need to be at a caloric deficit. Ideally, you want to preserve as much muscle as possible (or perhaps gain some muscle if you're a complete beginner) while losing body fat. To retain as much muscle as possible, you should incorporate some form of resistance training while eating an adequate amount of protein. This will be the quickest route to achieving a "toned" look. So figure out your TDEE (there are calculators out there) and eat at a deficit of 500-1000kcals while doing some form of resistance training. Free weights are ideal, but if you don't have acess to a gym, a good body weight exercise program can suffice. That's all the info you need. And be patient.

Sorry everyone's being an asshole and/or incredibly vague. When a person has a little knowledge on something, s/he tends to be insufferably condescending.

As has been pointed out, you can't just lose flab in your torso specifically. You lose fat all over, simultaneously. If you're not getting results with the 45 minutes of intense cardio you said you do at the gym, you might be doing it incorrectly or your diet must be too poor for the cardio to offset it.

Diet is probably the number one thing. I guess recently, studies are starting to disprove the whole 5 or 6 small meals a day philosophy, but it's done wonders for me. Maybe it's just psychological, or that it helps me measure out my portions so I don't overeat.

Building up your core musculature will help as well, so pick a core routine to follow (Ab Ripper X, or Insanity's Cardio Abs) and do it like 3-4 times a week. Each of those is only 15 to 20 mins. Some pull-ups (modify if you have to) would help to keep your back and front muscles balanced so you don't injure yourself. Muscle burns fat better, plus you need something to look at when you start to slim down. ;)

Yes, you do. Improving the body is a very holistic thing. When you work your butt and quads (which the above-mentioned routines will do) you have more support to work your abs with. It's very difficult to isolate a muscle when you have no other muscles to fall back on. The glutes and quads are very much a part of your core.

Find some good diet to go on, plus 30 min of cardio 6 times a week. Do 100 abdominal exercises 3 times a week. Make sure you alternate between different types of ab exercises and after a few weeks add more reps. The ab exercises probably won't help much with the weight loss, they are so you will have some abd muscle's in case the other stuff works.

It would come off a lot easier if you would also work out other parts of your body. Even a little extra muscle mass would increase your metabolism. 50 push ups 3 times a week, 10 pull ups 3 times a week(use a chair if you have to), also some curls, yoga(if your man enough).

scoobs

I was in the same boat. I can definitively say that your DIET is the key to trimming fat. Eat strawberries instead of chips, celery and peanut butter instead of a candy bar, etc. I also stopped drinking a lot of beer which is pretty helpful. After dieting, your best bet is to do lots of cardio and sit ups/crunches to tone

sphinx

the piano man
thanks.

I admit, I haven't been paying much attention to what I eat because getting in better shape is form me more an emotional thing than physical.

I love the feeling of triumph after jogging 45 mnutes more than the body that I could get from it but since now I am more into fitness I am beginning to investigate... and now am starting to want a gorgeous body, I just thought It would be right to accompany those 45 minutes of cardio with some situps or similars, that's why this thread exists.

what I understand from all this is that I should take care of the diet before anything else..

dieting is way harder than working out.. to actually have time to cook healthy stuff, I don't always have time or patience for that..

- You can't spot lose weight. You need to clean up your diet.
- Your biggest muscles in your body is in your legs, do not neglect them.
- You can't tone parts of your body.
- Read into StrongLifts, StartingStrength, LeanGains RPT, or any other variation of a 3x5/5x5. Pick one that you feel the most comfortable with. Track your progress. Ask questions.
- Form is more important than weight right now. Get the form down, then add weight.
- If your goal is to look good, you want to look good everywhere. That means you train both sides of your body. Front and Back.
- Legs, legs, legs, legs, legs, legs.
- Diet, diet, diet, diet, diet, diet.

Maxim726X

thanks.

I admit, I haven't been paying much attention to what I eat because getting in better shape is form me more an emotional thing than physical.

I love the feeling of triumph after jogging 45 mnutes more than the body that I could get from it but since now I am more into fitness I am beginning to investigate... and now am starting to want a gorgeous body, I just thought It would be right to accompany those 45 minutes of cardio with some situps or similars, that's why this thread exists.

what I understand from all this is that I should take care of the diet before anything else..

dieting is way harder than working out.. to actually have time to cook healthy stuff, I don't always have time or patience for that..

Exercising is a waste without proper nutrition.

Follow the advice I gave earlier- Start out with a very simple regimen (like the one outlined by EschatonDX ) and drink a lot of water. Make sure to get quality sleep, if possible.

Try to aim for low carb (low glycemic index), high protein, low fat, and watch your calorie intake.

That is, if you're really serious about losing weight and getting in shape. You'll still be in better shape just by exercising, but you can be in amazing shape if you control what you eat.

Yeah, it can be a lot of work. Trader Joe's has a lot of delicious, pre-made foods which help complement my prepared meals, and they're pretty well priced. Hope you have one near you.

Then, I have a set of "usuals" that I fall back on that's easy to prepare, like cottage cheese and a fruit (or 0% Fage yogurt and a fruit), pre-washed salad greens with a cut up chicken breast, can of tuna with a little dressing and some carrots, etc. I'm always finding new stuff to add.

Red

thanks.

You will get flat abs through diet alone. It is unquestionably and overwhelmingly the most important aspect of a fitness routine.

You should not be daunted by the length or detail of the Fitness OT. There is a lot of good info in there. You were getting frustrated early in this thread because people were not telling you what you wanted to hear, but that is because what you wanted to hear is not reality. You cannot spot reduce and targeting only a single muscle group is a Very Bad Idea.

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah, it can be a lot of work. Trader Joe's has a lot of delicious, pre-made foods which help complement my prepared meals, and they're pretty well priced. Hope you have one near you.

Then, I have a set of "usuals" that I fall back on that's easy to prepare, like cottage cheese and a fruit (or 0% Fage yogurt and a fruit), pre-washed salad greens with a cut up chicken breast, can of tuna with a little dressing and some carrots, etc. I'm always finding new stuff to add.

while we are at it, can you give an example of what food should a guy with my stats have in his meals, considering the cardio and all that in order to show results?

and is it 3 regular meals or 5/6 smaller meals? is one way better than the other one?

Oppo

thanks.

gotta do it though. when you actually calculate what you burn in a good exercise session, it's kind of disturbing how little of a dent it actually makes. exercise is good for lots of reasons but for actually burning fat, it ain't great.

remember that food is often actually listed in KCal (1000s of cals).

while we are at it, can you give an example of what food should a guy with my stats have in his meals, considering the cardio and all that in order to show results?

and is it 3 regular meals or 5/6 smaller meals? is one way better than the other one?

Meal frequency doesn't matter. Eat when you are hungry.

Read into Intermittent Fasting.

Just how much weight are you planning to lose? 5'5 @ 140 is pretty skinny imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom