• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eric Clapton and his one off Ferrari 458: The SP12 ec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost him 3 000 000 pounds.
Ferrari_SP_12_EC-2.jpg

Video of the car

This is nuts.
I kinda like it.

sfedai0

Banned
Come on Clapton, seriously 2 tone? And that metal grill isnt helping either. Would still drive the shit outta it.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Looks incredible, modern Ferrari styling with that 80s retro styling cues.

Youtube comments are class too:
the cameraman SUCKS!
or he's holding the camera with one hand while masterbating with the other ?

Grinchy

Banned
I'm so not a car guy. I do not get what makes this thing special. It just looks like a waste of 3 million pounds.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I'm so not a car guy. I do not get what makes this thing special. It just looks like a waste of 3 million pounds.

Its a Ferrari & a custom one off means its an instant classic/collectable.
This car will be an investment, it'll gain in value over the years IMO.

Pagani have a custom Zonda, 760 RS for the un-named South American business man and F1 champion Lewis Hamilton, costing over $2.5M. These cars won't depreciate.

Video of what $2.5M dollars buys you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=beutB6R0Zqg

Two points.

1. That is one of the ugliest modern Ferrari's I've ever seen because of the two tone.
2. £3m on a car? Even if I had a trillion pounds, I couldn't ever morally justify that type of cost. I'd go straight to hell. How can anyone spend that kind of money on a car? I find it revolting

Come on Clapton, seriously 2 tone?

2 Tone is an option on the newest Ferraris, although they don't paint them along the bottom edge, the second color option is for surround the cockpit glass.

It's supposed to be based on this:

Yeah that's exactly what I thought of. It's the old boxer style paint. Which makes sense since his 458 is customized with a 12 cylinder, although I don't think it's an actual boxer layout engine if it came from a 599 GTO or whatever.

I don't know about that picture. Is that a 365 or 512BB ? The three little vents behind the window don't look right. Maybe it's a body kit ?

Anyhow, I think Clapton has a gorgeous car and it was tastefully customized.
I've seen some truly hideous looking new Ferraris, where the owners must have been on drugs when they ordered them. They just had really weird clashing paint and interior colors.

Slayven

Two points.

1. That is one of the ugliest modern Ferrari's I've ever seen because of the two tone.
2. £3m on a car? Even if I had a trillion pounds, I couldn't ever morally justify that type of cost. I'd go straight to hell. How can anyone spend that kind of money on a car? I find it revolting

How is someone spending the money they earn on something they want revolting?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Cost him 3 000 000 pounds.
Ferrari_SP_12_EC-2.jpg

This is nuts.
I kinda like it.

I love the marriage of classic ferrari style with new world design approaches.
WHile the BB is one of my least favorite Ferraris....it was an OK design, and i think the re-imagining is brilliant...maybe not 3million pounds worth of brilliant but brilliant nonetheless.
qyT6w.jpg

Id have much rather see Ferraris take on the GTO, i always liked its stance
TZgbR.jpg

And probably my favorite GTO feature is the upskirt shot of its gearbox:
I really want ferrari to do this again....upskirt shots are sexy as fuck
rVrtX.jpg

BigDug13

The thing is that something like this is so valuable, rare, etc that you will NEVER drive it. At all.

I don't understand the concept of buying an expensive supercar for the purpose of keeping it garaged.

(I went through a phase when I wanted a nice "exotic" on a budget but also reliable, ergonomicly confortable, with inexpensive parts. So I got a 1995 Acura NSX-T for $25k. I specifically searched for one that had already lost more value due to mileage because I didn't want to feel bad about DRIVING it and adding mileage myself. So much fun!)

kylej

Banned
Its a Ferrari & a custom one off means its an instant classic/collectable.
This car will be an investment, it'll gain in value over the years IMO.

lol, nope. This wasn't something created by Ferrari, it was custom ordered by an outside individual. It has no real rarity. It's the same reason why buying a car, swapping a new downpipe, uppipe, getting a tune, and painting it your favorite color does nothing to increase the value; those things only mean something to the person who owned it previously. A car like the 250 GTO on the other hand holds value because of its limited run and prestige.

WTF, the car looks amazing

+1

That is actually a very classic looking Ferrari paint scheme. It would be respected among enthusiasts as tasteful.

Also I think the metal grill is awesome. Much better than the plastic thing on a regular 458.

It looks like the front of a 328. It's in keeping with traditional Ferrari styling cues.

To anyone that thinks that car is so ugly, I question your taste. Maybe you just don't like Ferrari at all ?

It's certainly beautiful, but I'd take a "standard" 458 any day.

P4/5 by Pininfarina, road car and Competizione alike, is by far the best modern interpretation of classic Ferrari styling.

lol, nope. This wasn't something created by Ferrari, it was custom ordered by an outside individual. It has no real rarity. It's the same reason why buying a car, swapping a new downpipe, uppipe, getting a tune, and painting it your favorite color does nothing to increase the value; those things only mean something to the person who owned it previously. A car like the 250 GTO on the other hand holds value because of its limited run and prestige.

You're flat out wrong. Ferrari custom created it for Eric Clapton. Those mods are from the Ferrari Factory, it's not like he went to some custom shop and had them "pimp his ride". That's why it cost 3 million when a regular 458 is only like 300k or something.

I'm sure it's the only 458 Italia in the world with a V-12.

It's really laughable for you to compare this to some import tuner. It's a ridiculous analogy. I don't know if this car will actually appreciate in value above 3 million, but it's not like the mods added no value over a regular V-8 458. It's not a damn Evo X with a downpipe LOL

On the secondary market, Clapton's car would sell for several multiples of what a regular 458 would go for.

Black_Stride

Actually it is build by ferrari, while ferrari are a consumer car manufacturer, if you have enough money and the right connections(usually to ferrari themselves) they will open their coach builder doors to you.

This is an instant classic simply because its one of a kind and not coachbuild by some no name company....its an authentic ferrari.

The next best thing to getting a car coachbuild by ferrari is getting a coachbuilt car from say Pininfarina to get official support from Ferrari:
Enter the P 4/5:
2006-ferrari-p4-5-pininfarina-3.jpg

Black_Stride

+1
That is actually a very classic looking Ferrari paint scheme. It would be respected among enthusiasts as tasteful.
Also I think the metal grill is awesome. Much better than the plastic thing on a regular 458.
It looks like the front of a 328. It's in keeping with traditional Ferrari styling cues.
To anyone that thinks that car is so ugly, I question your taste. Maybe you just don't like Ferrari at all ?

Close, but its actually based on the Ferrari BB, Eric C wanted a full reimagining of the "classic" Boxer, look a couple posts up and you'll see i posted the BBs front end....if you look at the back of the SP 12 and the BB they are like twins.

New:
wYhGD.jpg

Old:
VwkdQ.jpg

Close, but its actually based on the Ferrari BB, Eric C wanted a full reimagining of the "classic" Boxer, look a couple posts up and you'll see i posted the BBs front end....if you look at the back of the SP 12 and the BB they are like twins.

Yeah I grasped that right away, as soon as I saw the boxer paint scheme.

The front grill looks like a 328's, but you're right, it's actually copying the 365/512BB which had them too.

The metal grill and cavallino rampante are just so classic looking.

grumble

How is someone spending the money they earn on something they want revolting?

I think the point is that instead of investing money he clearly doesn't need into something that will insignificantly increase his already materially stupendous life, he could use those resources otherwise, barely feel the hit and save literally thousands of lives.

I see a beautiful car I really want to drive, and I also see the waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom