• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kick(start) Tom Chick

eznark

Banned
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2023800195/the-return-of-tom-vs-bruce

http://www.tomvsbruce.com/

I'm starting to hate Kickstarter (just ask Garnett) but man I love Tom v. Bruce.

two_heads.jpg

What is Tom vs. Bruce?

Tom vs. Bruce was a series of articles written by Tom Chick and Bruce Geryk for Computer Gaming World. The series began in January of 2002 and ran monthly until May 2008, when the magazine shut down. Each article was about a different game, usually describing a multiplayer match. At first, the articles were intended to provide strategy tips, but the series evolved to include humor, narrative, and the distinct personalities of Tom Chick and Bruce Geryk.

Why are Tom and Bruce on Kickstarter?

Tom vs. Bruce was extremely popular during its run in Computer Gaming World. One internal Powerpoint of the magazine's metrics listed Tom vs. Bruce as the second-most-popular item. It was behind only reviews as a category and well ahead of the third-place item, which we think involved Jeff Green jamming his finger up his nose. We still get asked about the articles a lot. Bruce, who's a surgeon these days, even got accosted in the operating room once.

Previously, we've pitched the column to websites, but among the sticking points to possible deals were limitations on what we could do and for whom we could write. We feel that even though we can be a bit obscure, verbose, or obscure and verbose, we have a specific style and sense of humor. We'd rather not do Tom vs. Bruce than compromise it. So by working directly for you, our Kickstarter benefactors, we get the same freedom and trust we had with our editors at Computer Gaming World.

And we really love doing this stuff. Even though they were a lot of work to produce, we both looked forward to doing them. We enjoyed the gameplay and the writing. We really dug creating something in a unique format, based on an interpersonal dynamic. We'd love to get that going again.

But the bottom line is that they're a lot of work. Hence, Kickstarter.

What is the funding for?

The funding is for ten brand-new Tom vs. Bruce articles to be delivered roughly monthly over the next year. We chose this goal because it's what we would have been paid by Computer Gaming World for ten articles.

We've spent a lot of time on Tom vs. Bruce over the years. Believe it or not, it's hard to sound off-the-cuff, breezy, and conversational. And to schedule time to play these games. And to figure out how best to relate them without simply turning in a boring old AAR. And getting the best screenshots to illustrate our points. You'd never know from the way 1up chucked the text online and inserted random screenshots, but we were pretty proud of our visual assets. That's not a euphemism.

I certainly won't be pitching in (mostly because Tom writes about games for a living and Bruce is a damn surgeon...you don't need my money) but hopefully some of you suckers do.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2023800195/the-return-of-tom-vs-bruce

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I used to defend Kickstarter wherever, but this is really...taking it too far.

How so? Everyone who doesn't think it's worthy of funding will not contribute. Such is the nature of Kickstarter. End of story.

I agree with you (and surely many others who will post here) that this is a bad Kickstarter project. What it isn't, however, is a referendum on Kickstarter itself, and so comments like "Normally I defend Kickstarter, but this sucks!" are not necessary. Nobody who is in favor of Kickstarter believes that every project on there is worthwhile.

What is the funding for?

The funding is for ten brand-new Tom vs. Bruce articles to be delivered roughly monthly over the next year. We chose this goal because it's what we would have been paid by Computer Gaming World for ten articles.

We've spent a lot of time on Tom vs. Bruce over the years. Believe it or not, it's hard to sound off-the-cuff, breezy, and conversational. And to schedule time to play these games. And to figure out how best to relate them without simply turning in a boring old AAR. And getting the best screenshots to illustrate our points. You'd never know from the way 1up chucked the text online and inserted random screenshots, but we were pretty proud of our visual assets. That's not a euphemism.

I uh... what? That's really not a very good breakdown of what the money's for. Getting screenshots? Seriously? Not that I'm accusing them of scamming or anything, but:

1. signing up for an account on GamesPress isn't hard, especially if your name is Tom Chick.

2. Nothing says "spirited revival that we really want to do!" like "hey, pay us the money that we would have gotten from the publishing company if we were still part of CGW."

amrod

The funding is for ten brand-new Tom vs. Bruce articles to be delivered roughly monthly over the next year.

They want $10,000 dollars, so $1000 a article or $500 each to write.... Damn, I need to get a job like that :p

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
This isn't funding, this is paying a salary and nothing more. Internet, what is wrong with you.

PLEDGE $50 OR MORE
10 BACKERS
Previous reward tiers, plus you get a fancy PDF of all ten Tom vs. Bruce articles once they're done. This is like a print subscription. After the fact. Sort of. If you print it out.

wow just take my money my wallet is yours

The funding is for ten brand-new Tom vs. Bruce articles to be delivered roughly monthly over the next year.

They want $10,000 dollars, so $1000 a article or $500 each to write.... Damn, I need to get a job like that :p

how do you imagine freelancing work? a dollar an article?

scitek

I emailed Tom a few times a couple months back when his site was listed on Metacritic and he was nice about my stuff, and said it looked professional and he figured someone like me would be in demand by gaming sites. I almost did a series of videos for his site, but I got sidetracked and ended up enrolling in school for video production instead. Nice guy, though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
What's more, it's against the Kickstarter TOS. I don't know what is going on.
You're right.

"Funding for charities or causes is not permitted. This includes solicitations for charity organizations, awareness campaigns, and raising funds for personal (non-project) expenses."

Zia

Yeah, the amount of money is kind of absurd. Most magazines pay something like twenty-five cents a word for features.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, I reported it in hopes that I never see a day where a similar Kickstarter for Felicia Day's wardrobe reaches 100,000.

I'll kickstart you at the $200+ tier for you to enter every thread that has been active in the last 5 days and say good things about me.

But $300 gets you a thread made in your honour, a hot beverage thermal mug and free balloons for the kids.

Must, must, must be a joke.

eznark

Banned
You're right.

"Funding for charities or causes is not permitted. This includes solicitations for charity organizations, awareness campaigns, and raising funds for personal (non-project) expenses."

I don't think that excludes salaries related to the project, to be fair.

Splat

the Starcraft article was ~3k words, so that's .33 cents per word (do they really pay per word in the writing world? That seems very weird). I fail to see what everyone is hating about this.

How do you guys think video game projects get made? You're paying the salary for people to churn out art/code!

From a purely free-market perspective, why would it bug anyone if (for example) 500 people were willing to pay $20 to fund ten articles they really enjoyed over the course of a year?

If this gets fully funded, doesn't it just suggest that publishers woefully underpay writers?

Dunno what the difference between this and the 1UP guys getting fired and suddenly giving them $1000s to buy production equipment and software.
$1000 for each article? What a fucking joke.
They have to buy the game too! Stationary, web hosting + design, small indian child to run the twitter feed.

Top Bottom