• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kick(start) Tom Chick

shuri

Banned
why would someone read the riveting stories of two people who are completely out of touch with modern multiplayer gaming?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Any background info?

People loved 1up, 1up disintegrated, the Rebel FM podcast formed as an unofficial continuation of 1up FM, 1up fans donated money to enable that to happen, Arthur Gies was Anthony's roommate, he was on Rebel FM, he was involved in the spending of some donated money on a PC for Tyler Barber, who also wasn't a 1up employee. Arthur eventually got a job at IGN around the same time Anthony did. Some people remain extremely bitter, apparently.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
First Kickstarter I actually give a rip about. They'll easily meet their goal.

Oh no! You are a horrible person for being willing to pay money for a product you want to consume. Because of you, many other Kickstarter projects will be proposed that some people aren't even interested in! Just think of how bad that will be for the industry!

$100-200 ish maybe ... depends on amount of time put in, $500 seems like too much to make

I don't write in gaming journalism, but I freelance for various publications and $500 is what I would expect/charge for an article. Though, even I will admit that is within a dying model and I've recently gotten out. I wonder if this would have been an easier sell as a Kindle single.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm starting a kickstarter for myself not wanting to work anymore. Who's in? Pledge 100 dollars or more and I'll send you a photo of my socks.

Kusagari

I don't understand why they can't just do this on their own, if they love it so much, and upload it to Chick's site.

hamchan

Pay me $1000 and I will let you choose the next game I play.

In addition I will also let you choose the words I use in my write up, hell, I'll even give you the exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to write the article for me.

Elginer

Someone should start another Kickstarter to pay Tom Chick not to write.
Here's my wallet!
Seriously, these cats can just start a tumblr and call it a day. What kind of shit is a asking for a grand for this? Fuck, I should kickstart my sammich making skills for only 500 bucks.

eznark

Banned
I don't understand why they can't just do this on their own, if they love it so much, and upload it to Chick's site.
Sure they could do that, or collect thousands of dollars in a few hours.

This will surpass 10k eaaaaaaaaasy, so why not? If NFL Gaf gave you $10,000 to cry about the Chargers would you turn is down?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Should have been posted in the "Are kickstarters shady?" thread. This is so absurd.

They're offering a product at a price. People are free to pay or ignore it. What about this particular project makes it absurd? Because it doesn't fit your prototype of a product? Because it's not something you are interested in?

Sure they could do that, or collect thousands of dollars in a few hours.

This will surpass 10k eaaaaaaaaasy, so why not? If NFL Gaf gave you $10,000 to cry about the Chargers would you turn is down?

They're offering a product at a price. People are free to pay or ignore it. What about this particular project makes it absurd? Because it doesn't fit your prototype of a product? Because it's not something you are interested in?

This and this. I don't understand what some of you are up in arms about, besides not thinking of this first (assuming it's funded). Except it wouldn't work for you because you're not Tom Chick and people don't want to read what you write?

And FWIW I don't have the slightest inclination to donate even a penny to this.

They basically state outright that we are paying their salaries.

They could very well apply for jobs with blogs or other digital news outlets.

But instead they are asking Kickstarter to pay them as if it were a job that they have not made any effort to explain why they couldn't get in the first place.

For myself, I wouldn't say I'm uninterested in the project, I'm just a little baffled by the proposal. 10,000 dollars is a hefty amount of money for ten articles; and on the one hand, I understand that somebody's trade is worth more than face value, but they don't do a very good job of explaining why they need that much money. They say that the money is roughly equal to their old salaries, which is... I dunno, I doubt these guys are really hurting for job opportunities. One's a surgeon and the other is a fairly well respected writer.

Honestly, the stuff in their "if we make even more money..." section is much more interesting to me than the actual Kickstarter. That stuff is far more understandably money-requiring than "getting screenshots", which is an absurd thing to even mention in their "where does the money go?" paragraph.

This and this. I don't understand what some of you are up in arms about, besides not thinking of this first (assuming it's funded). Except it wouldn't work for you because you're not Tom Chick and people don't want to read what you write?

Oh, good, we're already at the "you're just jealous!" insult stage.

eznark

Banned

I've actually changed my mind in the last few minutes. Since PC Gamer fired everyone good and has completely gone to shit I am without a game mag sub for the first time in like 20 years. This is just as good.

I'm in for 20 or so.

.la1n

I've actually changed my mind in the last few minutes. Since PC Gamer fired everyone good and has completely gone to shit I am without a game mag sub for the first time in like 20 years. This is just as good.

I'm in for 20 or so.

Same, I am on board for this. Had the pleasure of talking to Tom and he was a nice guy.

Kusagari

I'm getting paid to write right now, so I don't really give a shit. I just think this is blatantly taking advantage of his fans.

It would make far more sense if the money was for the podcast and other stuff they're promising if they make over 10k. That actually requires money.

Oh, good, we're already at the "you're just jealous!" insult stage.

Well, I'm jealous.

It just seems to me like they're poking around for a market inefficiency. If it doesn't get funded, it was absurd. If it does get funded... it's not. Pretty much by definition.

Is it ridiculous to think that there were a couple hundred CGW magazine subscribers who were in it almost exclusively for a particular feature? Who thought the magazine was roughly worth $20-$30 a year for this, and maybe not worth it without? So the value here is essentially the same for them, but everything goes directly to the writers they were subscribing for in the first place.

DiscoJer

I wouldn't pay money to kickstart them, but I might pay money to kickstart a column by Scorpia.

Anyone remember her? She used to write an adventure/RPG game column for CGW, well before these two. (I don't even remember these two, to be honest, though I stopped reading it in about 2000 or so. Alan Emrich, Johnny Wilson I remember.)

I would much rather donate to this than Republique.

In fact, I think I will. I really loved Tom vs Bruce from my years of subscribing to CGW and I mildly enjoy Chick's writing on Qt3. Consider this your payday!

eznark

Banned
I'm getting paid to write right now, so I don't really give a shit. I just think this is blatantly taking advantage of his fans.

It would make far more sense if the money was for the podcast and other stuff they're promising if they make over 10k. That actually requires money.

There are like five good writers in the entire industry. When two of them get together on a project I'm not surprised folks are happy to pay them for their work.

I wouldn't pay money to kickstart them, but I might pay money to kickstart a column by Scorpia.

Anyone remember her? She used to write an adventure/RPG game column for CGW, well before these two. (I don't even remember these two, to be honest, though I stopped reading it in about 2000 or so. Alan Emrich, Johnny Wilson I remember.)

So you missed pretty much all of Jeff Green's run as EIC? For shame.

fallout

Yeah, the reactions to this are a little surprising.

This is what Kickstarter is. You pay people to do/create things you would like to see exist.

Codeblue

I'm in for 20 or so.

But for $30 more, you could get a PDF file.

Aselith

I love how they keep putting up various games behind them during the video for th3 g4m3r cred. Yeah, this has gotta be a joke.

Top Bottom