• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kick(start) Tom Chick

eznark

Banned
It shouldn't be, since the Internet's existence has made quite clear the vast majority of people are unwilling to pay money for writing.

bitters5.jpg

Aselith

It shouldn't be, since the Internet's existence has made quite clear the vast majority of people are unwilling to pay money for writing.

The thing is over 3k funded already...

But fact is this is fleecing the community. They're going to get the 10k but they'll also put up ads so they can get them clicks and get double paid. Lot's of people buy kindle books and shit like that but that doesn't mean a play by play of a friendly game of Civilization deserves $1000.

Magazines were paying them that much because they expected to make the money back via ad sales and news stand purchases. These guys will be making salary plus ad revenue.

The e-paper smartphone watch raised over $10 million.

That's a good idea, though.

Kickstarter is ment to be funding for good, fresh ideas that don't have any way of getting backing. Kickstarter themselves won't stop people abusing it as they pull in the big money with all this nonsense. These guys are just cheating, really. Why don't they just charge a subscription to their website? It's the same diff, but with a very different image attached.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That's a good idea, though.

Kickstarter is ment to be funding for good, fresh ideas that don't have any way of getting backing. Kickstarter themselves won't stop people abusing it as they pull in the big money with all this nonsense. These guys are just cheating, really. Why don't they just charge a subscription to their website? It's the same diff, but with a very different image attached.

Who are they swindling? Who is donating money without understanding what it is they are donating money to?

Good video game writing (and let's just assume that plenty of people consider Tom and Bruce to be that) is certainly not in abundance, and doesn't appear to be worth the investment for the biggest outlets. If you want game writing that isn't for the lowest common denominator, it needs a special source of funding. And here it is.

obonicus

I think that clause means you can't start a kikstarter asking for rent money.

Or vacation money, I guess.

Kickstarter is ment to be funding for good, fresh ideas
Surely determining this is up to the backers, right?

that don't have any way of getting backing.
With CGW dead, no one's funding these articles.

These guys are just cheating, really. Why don't they just charge a subscription to their website? It's the same diff, but with a very different image attached.

If you're talking about putting a subscriber system on tomvsbruce.com, there is a big distinction between the two. Kickstarter's the patronage system, you only do the work if you're received enough to be able to afford it; taking subscriber money means that now you're beholden even if you don't meet your goal and only 5 people sign up.

A lot of people are getting upset because they see it as flying in the face of what Kickstarter is supposed to be for: getting projects off the ground that are too expensive for an individual or small group to fund alone. Things like games and physical products have huge overhead and cost a ton of money to make upfront. Writing articles, on the otherhand, is comparatively very cheap. I'm pretty confident that if they even just put this shit on a Tumblr, no one would care. It doesn't need special hosting, and even if it did, that can be taken care of on Tom's site.

Fact is, this is way over-paying for what will probably amount to relatively little work for $500/article; The math just seems way off, even if it is what they made at CGW. Maybe that's one of the reasons, among many, that it went under. That, and having a magazine in fucking California. Sure, you save money on airfare, but you also have to pay out the ass in salaries and rent because of the average cost of living. And the rise of the Internet, obviously. But now I'm getting sidetracked...

Listen, people who are saying "why can't people pay for what they want?!" are missing the point. People aren't saying you can't pay for it. They're saying you're a fool to pay someone with the connections they have and the relative ease with which they could do it, that much money. They're exploiting their fans; but, as I said, they have a right to be exploited, if they want.

eznark

Banned
A lot of people are getting upset because they see it as flying in the face of what Kickstarter is supposed to be for: getting projects off the ground that are too expensive for an individual or small group to fund alone.

Bullshit. Kickstarter is meant to match money and projects. That's it. Any other goal or aim is something you've created in your mind.

MBison

The one guy is a surgeon?

And wants $500 bucks a month to work a few hours on an article?

LOL.

Laughable greed.

Bullshit. Kickstarter is meant to match money and projects. That's it. Any other goal or aim is something you've created in your mind.

Those are the only ones that make any sense--ones with actual monetary and/or logistical barriers to be overcome. Why would you fund people who are perfectly capable of doing it themselves with relatively little time? Because they're essentially holding a (relatively small) project ransom? Personally, if I were a fan of theirs, I'd be insulted by that. I'm sure they could shop it around to numerous sites and get paid a fair amount for it and save their fans from footing the bill, but it wouldn't get what they will here.

Again, you can pay for it, sure. I just think it's insulting to tell their fans that they should pony up for it, is all. You're free to disagree.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
A lot of people are getting upset because they see it as flying in the face of what Kickstarter is supposed to be for: getting projects off the ground that are too expensive for an individual or small group to fund alone. Things like games and physical products have huge overhead and cost a ton of money to make upfront. Writing articles, on the otherhand, is comparatively very cheap. I'm pretty confident that if they even just put this shit on a Tumblr, no one would care. It doesn't need special hosting, and even if it did, that can be taken care of on Tom's site.

Fact is, this is way over-paying for what will probably amount to relatively little work for $500/article; The math just seems way off, even if it is what they made at CGW. Maybe that's one of the reasons, among many, that it went under. That, and having a magazine in fucking California. Sure, you save money on airfare, but you also have to pay out the ass in salaries and rent because of the average cost of living. And the rise of the Internet, obviously. But now I'm getting sidetracked...

Listen, people who are saying "why can't people pay for what they want?!" are missing the point. People aren't saying you can't pay for it. They're saying you're a fool to pay someone with the connections they have and the relative ease with which they could do it, that much money. They're exploiting their fans; but, as I said, they have a right to be exploited, if they want.

No one is a fool for buying something they want at a price they find reasonable. Whether the product in question could be created through other means is irrelevant. All that matters is an individual judges the product to be worth their money. All of the complaints you have listed are perfectly valid reasons to make the personal decision not to support this project, or any project like it. What's confusing is why you feel the need to project your personal assessment of its value onto everyone else.

eznark

Banned
Those are the only ones that make any sense--ones with actual monetary and/or logistical barriers to be overcome. Why would you fund people who are perfectly capable of doing it themselves with relatively little time? Because they're essentially holding a (relatively small) project ransom? Personally, if I were a fan of theirs, I'd be insulted by that. I'm sure they could shop it around to numerous sites and get paid a fair amount for it and save their fans from footing the bill, but it wouldn't get what they will here.

Again, you can pay for it, sure. I just think it's insulting to tell their fans that they should pony up for it, is all. You're free to disagree.

I want it so they should do it for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, how hard is writing anyway.

And god damn it why are all these magazines and web sites I like dying?

Wildesy

Some people must seriously hate their money.

Just a hint guys, if you don't Kickstart this project and it doesn't meet its goal, I can pretty much assure you it will still come back anyway. They don't need your money to do anything, so why are you donating to them?

etiolate

Banned

These guys already have income and have been paid for writing.

The issue you mention has a lot to do with the exploitation of the young, unemployed workforce through unpaid internships and blogging for ad revenue sites that doesn't get paid or gets paid a paltry penny or nickel per word.

No one is a fool for buying something they want at a price they find reasonable. Whether the product in question could be created through other means is irrelevant. All that matters is an individual judges the product to be worth their money. All of the complaints you have listed are perfectly valid reasons to make the personal decision not to support this project, or any project like it. What's confusing is why you feel the need to project your personal assessment of its value onto everyone else.

What? That doesn't make sense. So if I were to pay $50,000 for a rusted-out 1996 Cavalier tomorrow, I wouldn't be a fool? I mean, sure, art/writing is harder to give an objective value to, but that statement just makes no damn sense. People can easily be foolish by over-paying for things.

Also, why am I discussing my opinion? Because it's a forum... I'm not sure what you don't understand about that. I'm free to give my opinion on the topic at hand, as are you. This is how things are discussed. We're even doing it right now: I think it's absurd to pay that much for 10 articles, and to ask fans to pay it instead of a site, and you disagree. We are discussing this.

I want it so they should do it for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, how hard is writing anyway.

And god damn it why are all these magazines and web sites I like dying?

Keep beating up that strawman, tough guy.

eznark

Banned
What? That doesn't make sense. So if I were to pay $50,000 for a rusted-out 1996 Cavalier tomorrow, I wouldn't be a fool? I mean, sure, art/writing is harder to make a subjective value on, but that statement just makes no damn sense. People can easily be foolish by over-paying for things.

Keep beating up that strawman, tough guy.

Can you afford it? If so, I see nothing wrong with it.

And you saying this is easily something they could be doing without help, do you really put zero value on your time?

They have a skill that people will pay them for. They'd be foolish to not capitalize on that.

Pre

The outrage here is absurd. If you don't like what they're doing, don't donate. They aren't holding your wallet hostage.

Can you afford it? If so, I see nothing wrong with it.

And you saying this is easily something they could be doing without help, do you really put zero value on your time?

What some people will say to remain consistent... sigh, I think I've made my point.

Also, I find it impressive that you can utilize both a strawman argument and a false dichotomy at the same time. Impressive!

The outrage here is absurd. If you don't like what they're doing, don't donate. They aren't holding your wallet hostage.

It's not really outrage, I think, so much as expressing an opinion, and maybe some disappointment; I'm far from "outraged", personally. Maybe a bit misanthropic, but that's chronic with me :)

Anyway, I'm done arguing in circles here. You boys have fun, now!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I wouldn't pay money to kickstart them, but I might pay money to kickstart a column by Scorpia.

Anyone remember her? She used to write an adventure/RPG game column for CGW, well before these two. (I don't even remember these two, to be honest, though I stopped reading it in about 2000 or so. Alan Emrich, Johnny Wilson I remember.)
I always wondered if Scorpia was an amalgam writer like Quartermann or The Rumor Bag, and the column just got passed down to different writers over the years.

hamchan

Not really absurd. Just people expressing negative opinions for this project, which they're allowed to do so on a forum.

It's obvious I fucked up.
Most of the time I have to buy the games I review and I get paid zippo.

Paying to write. That's what it is. I'm an absolute joke.

cuc

I wouldn't pay money to kickstart them, but I might pay money to kickstart a column by Scorpia.

Anyone remember her? She used to write an adventure/RPG game column for CGW, well before these two. (I don't even remember these two, to be honest, though I stopped reading it in about 2000 or so. Alan Emrich, Johnny Wilson I remember.)
I always wondered if Scorpia was an amalgam writer like Quartermann or The Rumor Bag, and the column just got passed down to different writers over the years.
Scorpia tried to keep writing on her website for a while. In 2009, she decided to stop writing when the site revenue could only just cover its cost.

http://www.scorpia.com/?p=1529#more-1529

Suairyu

Banned
This isn't funding, this is paying a salary and nothing more. Internet, what is wrong with you.
What do you think the other kickstarters pay...?

DoubleFine Adventure was raising money just to pay its employees for the period of making an adventure game. This is the exact same thing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Amazing. A person can kickstart damn near anything I guess. This Bruce guy must not work cheap or something. People want to pay for articles from a guy who writes such riveting stuff such as -

"Max Payne 3 mostly looks good, but it’s no Kane and Lynch 2, and not for lack of trying. It’s obviously attempting Kane and Lynch 2′s brilliant and subversive YouTube aesthetic without really having a reason to do it, or even any creative insight into what it’s doing."

More power to them. They are 1/3 of the way to it. We got gamers who complain about the cost of damn near everything but will pay for a kickstarter like this. Amazing.

remnant

Banned
From a purely free-market perspective, why would it bug anyone if (for example) 500 people were willing to pay $20 to fund ten articles they really enjoyed over the course of a year?

If this gets fully funded, doesn't it just suggest that publishers woefully underpay writers?

Yeah it kind of does.

Can't have that mentality running around though.

They basically state outright that we are paying their salaries.

They could very well apply for jobs with blogs or other digital news outlets.

But instead they are asking Kickstarter to pay them as if it were a job that they have not made any effort to explain why they couldn't get in the first place.

Why is that wrong? Why must they go past a middleman?

Jimrpg

I honestly don't see the issue with them estimating that writing 10 articles is worth $5000 of their time.

you're right - its probably the going rate in the industry...

but most of their articles is stuff you can read anywhere else.

im glad kickstarter is going this way to be honest - i really don't like the site - and right now its just beggars panning for money... so hopefully kickstarter dies a quick death soon. if this project gets up, we'll see similar less worthy causes to donate money to and hopefully people will start to just ignore the site and traffic will die. :)

What do you think the other kickstarters pay...?

DoubleFine Adventure was raising money just to pay its employees for the period of making an adventure game. This is the exact same thing.

The difference, or at least how I see it, is that most Kickstarters exist because they help people do things they could not do otherwise. Double Fine are a bunch of talented folks, but without a budget there is no game - production cost, salaries, etc etc need to be covered, and that takes a lot of money.

With this Kickstarter, the product on offer really doesn't require much overhead. Playing a multiplayer game with a friend for a little bit and then writing an article about the experience might use some of your trade skills - I'm not trying to diminish either of their writing skill or the value of a good writer - but there's pretty much nothing in their way financially. One is a successful writer, the other is a surgeon. Sure, they'll need to take some time out of their days to do this stuff, but at the end of the day they aren't working for a magazine anymore, so expecting to be paid essentially 500 dollars per article just seems a little absurd, especially when the best they can come up with in the "Where does the money go?" section is "we gotta get good screenshots" which doesn't require money at all so I don't even know what that means.

I'm not outraged but I do find the product on offer (and its backer rewards) oddly slim for the asking price. If they were launching a magazine or trying to turn this into a new business, I'd be much more understanding, but 10,000 dollars is a tall order for a really short reunion tour.

remnant

Banned
you're right - its probably the going rate in the industry...

but most of their articles is stuff you can read anywhere else.

im glad kickstarter is going this way to be honest - i really don't like the site - and right now its just beggars panning for money... so hopefully kickstarter dies a quick death soon. if this project gets up, we'll see similar less worthy causes to donate money to and hopefully people will start to just ignore the site and traffic will die. :)

Why would anyone care less about something on kickstarter because a project they don't care about got funded? Doesn't that happen every single day?

I swear to god you people are crazy bitter or something

Vice

I don't think $1000 per article is too much money. It's about the average for works like this, maybe a little less. Any advertising money would probably just cover bandwidth.

tomchick

Wow, tough room!

However, I totally get that some folks would have reservations about supporting this. We're not providing a traditional product like a lot of Kickstarter projects. What we're providing is entertainment, not unlike a Kickstarter project for an independent film, or a comic book, or a band. It's no different than paying someone to write a book, except that the book will be online, over the course of a year, and you know exactly what sort of book you're getting.

(If you don't know what we do, I hope you'll take a look at the archives at 1up before you write us off. We're really proud of the way the series evolved over the years. Just click on any game and you'll know pretty quickly whether it's the sort of thing you'd enjoy.)

As for why we're not just doing this for free, that's a fair question. The most immediate answer is that we feel we should be compensated for the work we do. That's how entertainment works. Just as Joss Whedon didn't make The Avengers for free, Ben Croshaw doesn't do ZP for free, and Sean Bean isn't in Game of Thrones for free (I still haven't finished the first season...)

But another answer to the question is that we're using Kickstarter as a way to gauge interest and ultimately to motivate ourselves. If no one is interested in the series, that's cool. We had pretty much resigned ourselves to that after we couldn't get anyone to pick up Tom vs. Bruce when CGW folded. But now we figure Kickstarter is a way to directly determine whether or not there's still an audience for what we do. Isn't that what Kickstarter is all about? Appealing directly to an audience?

Furthermore, we would welcome being beholden to a group of supporters who expect regular episodes. We'd love for Tom vs. Bruce to be a part of our monthly schedules again, but only if we know there's a demand for it. If you don't want to support it, if you don't want to be part of that demand, that's totally fine. If we get funding, I hope you'll enjoy what we do anyway.

If you're on the fence, there's no hurry. Read over some of our earlier articles, read the sort of stuff that Bruce writes, or that I write, and take some time to consider whether you feel we're worth your money. There are plenty of places you can spend your entertainment dollar, and we don't expect you to give it to us lightly. It's entirely reasonable to take that money and go see The Avengers again, or to support Carmaggedon, or to get the Arkham City DLC.

And if you simply don't want to support the guy who gave Journey 2 stars, remember that I only get half of what you contribute! Bruce hasn't played Journey, but I'm sure if he did, he'd love it.

-Tom

Wow, tough room!

However, I totally get that some folks would have reservations about supporting this. We're not providing a traditional product like a lot of Kickstarter projects. What we're providing is entertainment, not unlike a Kickstarter project for an independent film, or a comic book, or a band. It's no different than paying someone to write a book, except that the book will be online, over the course of a year, and you know exactly what sort of book you're getting.

(If you don't know what we do, I hope you'll take a look at the archives at 1up before you write us off. We're really proud of the way the series evolved over the years. Just click on any game and you'll know pretty quickly whether it's the sort of thing you'd enjoy.)

As for why we're not just doing this for free, that's a fair question. The most immediate answer is that we feel we should be compensated for the work we do. That's how entertainment works. Just as Joss Whedon didn't make The Avengers for free, Ben Croshaw doesn't do ZP for free, and Sean Bean isn't in Game of Thrones for free (I still haven't finished the first season...)

But another answer to the question is that we're using Kickstarter as a way to gauge interest and ultimately to motivate ourselves. If no one is interested in the series, that's cool. We had pretty much resigned ourselves to that after we couldn't get anyone to pick up Tom vs. Bruce when CGW folded. But now we figure Kickstarter is a way to directly determine whether or not there's still an audience for what we do. Isn't that what Kickstarter is all about? Appealing directly to an audience?

Furthermore, we would welcome being beholden to a group of supporters who expect regular episodes. We'd love for Tom vs. Bruce to be a part of our monthly schedules again, but only if we know there's a demand for it. If you don't want to support it, if you don't want to be part of that demand, that's totally fine. If we get funding, I hope you'll enjoy what we do anyway.

If you're on the fence, there's no hurry. Read over some of our earlier articles, read the sort of stuff that Bruce writes, or that I write, and take some time to consider whether you feel we're worth your money. There are plenty of places you can spend your entertainment dollar, and we don't expect you to give it to us lightly. It's entirely reasonable to take that money and go see The Avengers again, or to support Carmaggedon, or to get the Arkham City DLC.

And if you simply don't want to support the guy who gave Journey 2 stars, remember that I only get half of what you contribute! Bruce hasn't played Journey, but I'm sure if he did, he'd love it.

-Tom

It's pretty cool of you to respond to this thread. For the record, I think that this:

Would be a much, much better paragraph to put on your page than this:

Kickstarter Page said:
What is the funding for?

The funding is for ten brand-new Tom vs. Bruce articles to be delivered roughly monthly over the next year. We chose this goal because it's what we would have been paid by Computer Gaming World for ten articles.

We've spent a lot of time on Tom vs. Bruce over the years. Believe it or not, it's hard to sound off-the-cuff, breezy, and conversational. And to schedule time to play these games. And to figure out how best to relate them without simply turning in a boring old AAR. And getting the best screenshots to illustrate our points. You'd never know from the way 1up chucked the text online and inserted random screenshots, but we were pretty proud of our visual assets. That's not a euphemism.

I definitely don't think y'all should work for free, but I think your current "what's the funding for?" section sort of tiptoes around your valuation of your own work. If 10,000 bucks is what you think is fair then so be it - that's for you guys to decide and backers to agree on - but I think that paragraph is a much more confident way of putting it than simply saying that you need money to get screenshots and also you used to get paid that much.

tomchick

Wait, some of you guys really think this is a shady enterprise to the point that you're complaining to Kickstarter to try to get us pulled? Sheesh, it's not like we're doing tentacle porn or something!

BigJiant, point taken. We definitely could have done a better job with that section.

-Tom

Top Bottom