• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima working on new series of games based on human issues, relationships

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
About time. We need more games where you don't have to kill stuff or compete with something.

"There are a lot of real world issues I want to address, but the reason I kept making the MGS saga and its sequels is that it allowed me to explore my ideas", said Kojima.

"But now I'm starting a new series, focusing on new set of issues. It'll probably be different to what MGS addressed. Of course, I'm turning 50 now, so if I'm going to approach new topics, it might be something more on a human level, like the concept of love, or rearing a family, things of that nature".

Either way, Kojima's next game sounds bold and experimental. "As a game designer, up to this point, games have evolved along a set of technical and artificial limitations, like a card game or chess. The rules are there", he said.

"But now it's evolved to the point where you can realise almost anything in a game world since technology has evolved, my perspective has changed from creating rules, to creating situations, and putting people in those situations. There's a lot of risk in that, but that's what I'm trying to accomplish now, to rise to the challenge and create something new based on a new type of game design".

CVG

Kojima made a game where this guy

1832.charsasaki.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

marries this girl

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070712014600775_640w.jpg

I'm not so sure I can survive a Kojima game delving deeper into love & relationships.

As weird as it sounds, I really want to see bigger more mainstream games take on subjects movies has dealt with in a long time like incest, violence against children, divorce and addiction.

Would open up for some crazy gameplay concepts, and actually elevate gaming as a whole if done right.

pargonta

No guns! No combat! Aggression in narrative through grounded human interaction.

hallelujah. do it right, please.

bomma_man

Hope this is good. Presumably he'll be able to do something more interesting without the weight of the Metal Gear canon hanging over him.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So he's finally fulfilling his dream of making a shitass dating simulator complete with odd fetishes and daddy issues.

Good on him.

injurai

Banned
As much as I want games that explore these issues, Kojima is not the one I want doing them

I think he could make something good. I doubt he would use the same humor and tropes that he likes to work into MGS. His attention to detail is impeccable and I would give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

AAequal

Banned
New Tokimeki Memorial game? Don't really care what it is long as I can play it :b It's good to see him doing something else then MGS.

Omikaru

Kojima made a game where this guy

1832.charsasaki.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

marries this girl

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070712014600775_640w.jpg

I'm not so sure I can survive a Kojima game delving deeper into love & relationships.
And we're done here.

It's Kojima and I've been an MGS fan for a very long time, so I'll give him a chance, but my default stance is definitely cynical.

Slime

Banned
Game dealing with nuclear proliferation: Clones and giant robots!
Game dealing with the war economy: Nanomachines control everything!
Game dealing with human issues: ???

Can't wait to see how subtle and thought-provoking this is going to be.

Kanguro

Neo Member
Kojima's output this generation has been so disappointing. He spent the majority of it working on some kind of multi-platform engine and now that it's close to being released the generation is over and it's probably worthless.

Kojima
Team ICO
Polyphony
Final Fantasy Mainline Team
Team Silent

This generation has been a disaster for most of my favorite JP developers.

Dylan

Do not want.

Kojima, make a game where a ninja dog infiltrates Hell and saves the world. Don't make Heavy Rain. Oh god.

injurai

Banned
Game dealing with nuclear proliferation: Clones and giant robots!
Game dealing with the war economy: Nanomachines control everything!
Game dealing with human issues: ???

Can't wait to see how subtle and thought-provoking this is going to be.

Money is the root of all relationship problems...
money is controlled by the war economy...
Nanomachines.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Kojima your 'ideas' are utter shit. Just make games.

Chinner

Banned
story: human issues and relationships
context: gigantic robot zombies controlled by aliens are attacking earth.

I can't wait for the inevitable 10 minute monologue complete with slideshow featuring footage from real life before a character dies.

Kojima has been dead to me since after MGS2. He should pair up with David Cage and deliver the ultimate interactive movie, for all I care.

Haunted

It's up to him and his studio to prove that they're capable of tackling something like this in a respectable manner. His track record is working against him here.

I personally think Kojima still has some good in him as a game designer. Just... don't let him write anything. Please.

He should pair up with David Cage and deliver the ultimate interactive movie!
Added side-benefit: we'd have to suffer through only one movie instead of two.

Top Bottom