• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (US) |OT| One of Wii's epic last breaths.

Seik

Banned
zGprm.png

''The Last Story is a JRPG for the Wii console from Hironobu Sakaguchi that lets you take charge of a band of mercenaries and journey with them into a sprawling cinematic adventure.
Enjoy the adventure alone in this epic Wii game or jump into online multiplayer modes with up to five other players.''

Its finally here!

Release Date (North America): 8/14/2012
(Europe): 2/24/2012
(Japan): 1/27/2011
Producer: Mistwalker.
Publisher: XSEED.
Platform: Nintendo Wii.
Genre:Action RPG
Type of Controls: Wiimote & Nunchuck, Classic Controller (Pro).
Multiplayer: Yes, up to 6 players (Boss Battles, Versus.).
Iwata asks: HERE! :)

REVIEWS:

IGN - 8.5
Gamespot - 9.0
EDGE: 8
Metacritic: 82/100
N-Gamer: 85/100

Here's a look at the game's box with the limited edition artbook that XSEED gives to those who pre-ordered the game.

NE9VD.jpg

Here are some pictures, took via Dolphin, so yes, it does work! :)
tls126hkpq.png

tls535uwj69.png

tls2jeuk1.png

In my case, I already bought the game when it came out in Europe, but I'm going to double-dip on this one, just like Xenoblade. I only I knew, I bought it a few days before the US version's announcement.

So GAF, share your thoughts!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Will be grabbing this, been looking forward to it. I hear it isn't very RPGish, but I also hear its very good. And also quite short, which should serve as a nice complement to Xenoblade

NeededSleep

oh poop! i didn't realize this was coming out so soon, should be shipping from amazon soon! :D

wait went to amazon said it was shipping july 31st o_O
meh whatever it gets here when it gets here

I'm thinking about getting this, even though I don't have a Wii (and probably will just be picking up the Wii U when it comes out). I'm looking forward to a good JRPG though; I haven't played one in a LONG TIME.

Eusis

... The OP's going to look back and be embarassed about how off his timing ended up being, isn't he?

With no OFFICIAL date announce it could easily come out a few weeks later at that, so it may be a month early too.

Seik

Banned
ER, damn, wait a minute, I trusted what that store guy said to me 2 days ago, damn...

If its really not coming out tomorrow, I'll ask for someone to delete it, sorry guys, I don't want to be saying shit like that if its not true. D:

(Its all good now! ^^)

Rarutos

Yeah, seems like it's releasing late July, but even then I don't think XSEED gave us a solid release date quite yet. :(

Macstorm

Yeah, this one's still a little ways off. The July 31st date is just a retailer placeholder, as XSEED has yet to set an official date. I'm guessing it will be early to mid August though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Those Dolphin screens are going to be misleading for people who will play it on a Wii... :/

Poyunch

I have this preordered for some reason. I'm not even sure I want to play it anymore. It's already payed off mostly due to Amazon credit so whatever.

Oh, it's time for this now? I thought it was August 14th release date?

STILL, I'm way more hyped for this than I was for Xenoblade.

Sakaguchi x Uematsu. <3

Seik

Banned
AW MAN!!! Don't tell me its been delayed AGAIN?!...

I'll ask for a lock once again =_=.

Man this is ridiculous...sorry guys, that release date always switching is getting frustrating.

kunonabi

Sadly I'm not going to be able to pick up on release due to real world expenses but I will double dip when I can. It's one of my favorite wii games and the most fun I've had with a jrpg since Persona 2.

Magnus

Shit, I totally forgot this was tomorrow! I was so pumped for July 31st and then it didn't happen. Then these last two weeks were a total blur of busy-ness, and suddenly, the day's here! Gooch + Uematsu, WUT, amazing times ahead.

Wish I could Dolphin this baby though...

I was initially hyped for this, more than I was for Xenoblade. Now that time has passed, my fervor has died down and I'm left wondering if I ought to get this or not. I already have it preordered so I guess it's out of the question. Oh well. Hopefully it'll catch me off guard.

@MUWANdo

Banned
"One of"? Is there ANYTHING decent in the pipeline for Wii once this game is out? (aside from the Kirby compilation)

It's a damn shame the Wii hardware holds the game back, you can see it aching for more power. The framerate chugs along in places too.

Haha, I forgot this was coming out. I've been looking forward to it for a while now, and still have my Newegg pre-order.

I pre-ordered this a few days ago. It was a last minute pre-order so I hope I still get the pre-order goodies.

I'm pretty sure all first print run copies come with the extra stuff.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really enjoyed the game, but I really hope people aren't going into the game expecting another Xenoblade.

Hiltz

I noticed that IGN gave The Last Story higher marks for its music and voice acting compared to Xenoblade's, but I find it hard to believe that it is better. The same person reviewed both games. I have only seen a bit of footage from The Last Story, so maybe I am missing something. I don' know, I just find it hard to top Xenoblade's music in particular.

Young Magus

Sadly will not get this game on launch day :(, but will pick up down the line ASAP. Heard a lot of great thing about this and looks very cool.

It's a damn shame the Wii hardware holds the game back, you can see it aching for more power. The framerate chugs along in places too.

Yeah I noticed this. Some of the cutscenes remind me of FFVII's Realtime models over Prerendered FMV scenes.

Still not sure if this game is worth re-buying at full price as I bought the PAL Special Edition. I got up as far as the final boss, but it's do damn cheap hard, I took a break out of frustration and started working on DKC Returns.

I noticed that IGN give The Last Story higher marks for its music and voice acting compared to Xenoblade's, but I find it hard to believe that it is better. The same person reviewed both games. I have only seen a bit of footage from The Last Story, so maybe I am missing something. I don' know, I just find it hard to top Xenoblade's music in particular.

Two words: Nobuo Uematsu

EDIT: After Youtubing the OST for a bit, I can say with confidence that the soundtrack is indeed much better than Xenoblade's.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I noticed that IGN give The Last Story higher marks for its music and voice acting compared to Xenoblade's, but I find it hard to believe that it is better. The same person reviewed both games. I have only seen a bit of footage from The Last Story, so maybe I am missing something. I don' know, I just find it hard to top Xenoblade's music in particular.

The voice acting is of similar quality (the same goes for Pandora's Tower). The music... well, it's not Uematsu's usual shtick (primarily because it's not his arrangements) but it's hard to complain.

Top Bottom