• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (US) |OT| One of Wii's epic last breaths.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So it's been out for this long and hasn't even passed a single page on GAF?

I'm impressed.

*edit*
well shit

Also scratch that, release date in the OP is hella wrong.

two words:
mechonis fields

That song does kick ass, but I think as a whole Xenoblade's soundtrack is a bit lacking compared to Nobuo's works. I'm also not a huge fan of the whole "let's mix rock music with strings and 'epic'-ness" thing that happens a lot in Xenoblade, a la the battle music and half of the cutscenes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That's exactly what I'm expecting. :/

I don't know why you would. It's nothing like Xenoblade, and was never advertised as such.

I noticed that IGN gave The Last Story higher marks for its music and voice acting compared to Xenoblade's, but I find it hard to believe that it is better. The same person reviewed both games. I have only seen a bit of footage from The Last Story, so maybe I am missing something. I don' know, I just find it hard to top Xenoblade's music in particular.

Xenoblade is a better game, for sure, but Last Story has a damn fun battle system that makes the game worth playing.

Hiltz

I'll have to check out The Last Story's OST then. I recall loving the looping theme that was played on the TLS's website. Also, I am not familiar with Nobuo Uematsu's work beyond his involvement in Chrono Trigger.

As for Xenoblade, I am also not familair with the composer, but the music was fantastic nonetheless.

I don't know why you would. It's nothing like Xenoblade, and was never advertised as such.

Xenoblade is a better game, for sure, but Last Story has a damn fun battle system that makes the game worth playing.

This seems to have been an unfortunate misunderstanding because of how game sites and Operation Rainfall went on a crusade to force Nintendo take notice and release them overseas by grouping the three Wii rpgs together. It happend whenever the subject of bringing even one of the games came up. It just lead some gamers to believe that these titles offer a similar JRPG experience. Of course, if one took the time to actually look at trailers, then they'd know these games very different from each other.

The whole Operation Rainfall thing kind of led many people to think of the three games as the same quality I think. I don't plan on picking this game up any time soon because I just finished Xenoblade about a week ago, and my bar is set a little high right now.

eXistor

Technical issues aside, I had a blast playing this. The battlesystem never got old and I actually enjoyed the story and the soundtrack is pretty epic as well. Just a very solid jrpg. It won't end up on any top 10 list, but fans of the genre could do worse than this.

@MUWANdo

Banned
TLS is a good game but it's of a much smaller scope than Xenoblade--there's basically nothing to it but combat, and thanks to the life/revival system it never really becomes as difficult as it should. The multiplayer stuff is fun for what it is but there just isn't enough content for players to run together to make it worthwhile.

It's also one of those games that's absolutely begging for pointer controls but doesn't have them, a la Little King's Story.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The whole Operation Rainfall thing kind of led many people to think of the three games as the same quality I think. I don't plan on picking this game up any time soon because I just finished Xenoblade about a week ago, and my bar is set a little high right now.

At no point was I talking about quality. I'm saying that gameplay wise, I really hope people are not expecting Last Story to be like Xenoblade.. Last Story is not a long, open world game full of side quests.

But it's really fun.

Zwei

Well, when you have luminaries like director Hironobu Sakaguchi and composer Nobuo Uematsu, I was expecting TLS to be just as good as Xenoblade. Perhaps both games are fundamentally different, but the experience itself should be mind-blowing like Xenoblade, no?

thetrin

Well, when you have luminaries like director Hironobu Sakaguchi and composer Nobuo Uematsu, I was expecting TLS to be just as good as Xenoblade. Perhaps both games are fundamentally different, but the experience itself should be mind-blowing like Xenoblade, no?

Nothing on this earth is mind blowing like Xenoblade.

"Surely, this other game is going to be just as amazing as the best JRPG in the last 10 years right? That's how it works!"

The Last Story is a badass game, with an awesome battle system, and it's totally worth playing, but it's nothing like Xenoblade. Personally, I think that's a good thing.

Zornica

Banned
EDIT: After Youtubing the OST for a bit, I can say with confidence that the soundtrack is indeed much better than Xenoblade's.

I've beaten the game nearly twice now... and the soundtrack may be good on youtube, but you wont notice it ingame. It just always stays in the background. Most of the Tracks are just wasted. (same goes for pandora btw).

But I'd say that the voice acting is better - the dialogues are imho the only highpoint of the game anyway.

TLS = Mass Effect - SciFi + Knights - "Choices"
If you like Mass Effect, you'll probably like this too.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Xenoblade innovates on a number of fronts, both big and small. TLS advances a lot of small improvements, many similar to the ones found in Xenoblade, but most of the focus is on the battle system itself and while its certainly unique, the amount of "innovation" it represents is arguable.

Solune

I really enjoyed the game, but I really hope people aren't going into the game expecting another Xenoblade.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for, not-Xenoblade.
Two words: Nobuo Uematsu

EDIT: After Youtubing the OST for a bit, I can say with confidence that the soundtrack is indeed much better than Xenoblade's.

Disagree vehemently. I haven't played Last Story yet but I'm pretty psyched, but I have both soundtracks and Xenoblade overwhelms Last Story easily.

thetrin

That's exactly what I'm hoping for, not-Xenoblade.

Disagree vehemently. I haven't played Last Story yet but I'm pretty psyched, but I have both soundtracks and Xenoblade overwhelms Last Story easily.

Well, you're in for a treat. Last Story is very much not-Xenoblade.

TLS = Mass Effect - SciFi + Knights - "Choices"
If you like Mass Effect, you'll probably like this too.

Basically, yeah. TLS was seriously JRPG Mass Effect (and while I am lukewarm on ME as a series, I think TLS is successful at what it tries for the most part).

Shiggy

The soundtrack is rather forgettable as it does stay in the background indeed.

And this game is better than Xenoblade for some people, especially those who like a more focussed game that doesn't have a huge world to travel through. For me, it's been the best game since Mario Galaxy.

thetrin

welp, I can judge for myself once I've had some quality time with TLS.

Just judge it upon its own merits. Just because it's not as good as the best JRPG of this generation doesn't mean it isn't worth playing.

I think all copies will ship tomorrow. I changed mine to one day shipping (free prime now that i'm going back to school) and it still hasnt shipped. Says I should get it Thursday.

I feel an obligation to buy this game seeing as it is called the Last Story and it will probably be the last Wii game I buy

Wish I could get this. Alas, saving my cash for the XL + NSMB2. Nothing left over for this atm. I hope it's still around in a few weeks. >.<

Solune

What do you specifically want to be not-Xenoblade?

Specifically combat. In Xenoblade
I am at the part where you have to open the Sister Gates in the Eryth Sea
. The combat has alot of potential to be gratifying but you can't ALWAYS make it that way due to the AI. The other thing I dislike about Xenoblade are the MMO-like quests, I just hate that structure in general.

Everything else I really like, the world structure, exploration, the music, presentation. The thing to me that makes it a chore to play are the fetch quests, which unfortunately are part of the world building.

IrishNinja

best buy should finally ship it today, hooray! god, this whole last week they had it "DELAYED TILL 6/26/2012", that's right they delayed it to the past. it was even better cause they had pre-owned copies up for 7/31, that's a hook-up right there.

EDarkness

I have the Japanese version of the game, and it'll be cool to finally play it in English. I hope the online stuff is working as well. I enjoy the boss battles a lot. I spent more time doing that then actually playing the single player stuff. Ha, ha!!

CorvoSol

Okay, so I preordered this game, and I'm basically buying it on GAF's recommendation. Xenoblade will likely find its way into my bag, and buyer's remorse will taunt me the whole way home.

I won't finish either this year, because school, but at least I'll have something, right?

I heard something about a preorder bonus?

Cheska

I heard something about a preorder bonus?

First print editions comes with an artbook and special packaging.

Also of note, Amazon's page for TLS now lists it as shipping in 2-3 weeks ._.

EDIT: Wow, Gamestop doesn't even have a release date anymore. Did this get pushed AGAIN?

Exentryk

This game is pretty ordinary to be honest. Cliché characters and a bland storyline. Some good musical tracks, but overall the score is forgettable.

If you're a fan of Dungeon Crawlers though, you might like it.

GringoJB

Has anyone's Amazon order shipped? They're usually pretty good about shipping games that release Tuesday out on Sunday/Monday.

Mine still hasn't as of right now... I did free shipping, but it says that my delivery estimate has been "delayed" until Aug 21st-Aug 25th (don't know if that's a real delay or not since it's so close). Pre-ordered back at the end of June... hmmm...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's a good game, if a bit too easy and lacking in production values and polish. It's Final Fantasy meets Mass Effect. The combat system is great fun, with some similarities to Xenoblade or MMORPGs but done in its own action heavy way. Buy it & have fun.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently today was the ship date and not the actual "release date."

So the game will be out there... eventually.

Volcynika

+1. Exactly my sentiments.

Has anyone's Amazon order shipped? They're usually pretty good about shipping games that release Tuesday out on Sunday/Monday.

XSEED games are always like this for me. I have two day shipping but its approx delivery is Friday. Then I usually get it on Thursday.

Eusis

Apparently today was the ship date and not the actual "release date." So Gamestop et al. should be getting copies today.
Actually, if today's the ship date they're probably getting them tomorrow, though maybe you mean getting them today to ship to stores in time for tomorrow? Whatever, don't expect to play the game until tomorrow.

personal opinion.. the story is meh, and while the combat is great there is REALLY little reason to use all of its feature given an all-around easypeasy difficulty setting :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, if today's the ship date they're probably getting them tomorrow, though maybe you mean getting them today to ship to stores in time for tomorrow? Whatever, don't expect to play the game until tomorrow.

My post was ambiguous, I wasn't sure what I wanted it to mean, and I ended up just changing it. :lol

Phenomic

First print editions comes with an artbook and special packaging.

Also of note, Amazon's page for TLS now lists it as shipping in 2-3 weeks ._.

EDIT: Wow, Gamestop doesn't even have a release date anymore. Did this get pushed AGAIN?

Ugh, I specifically didn't import this once I found out Xseed was doing the release, but I've been dying to get my hands on this game. I've got Darksiders 2 to run through if it does happen but I will be saddened.

That being said my preorder on Amazon still says Delivery Estimate "June 28, 2012 - August 16, 2012" So we will see what happens I guess.

Where are our friendly neighborhood XSeed GAF Reps to clear up the confusions!

I shoulda known something like this would happen. Oh well, better to have it a day later than to not have it at all. Now to play the waiting game.

Pyrrhus

Xenoblade is great and had some lovely graphics and music. But you have to admit its MMO style kind of overstayed its welcome by the end. The game had the climax of the story and then made you play for another 10 hours to get to the actual ending, too. All of this is to say that it was gigantic but it had some pacing issues.

Last Story on the other hand is a wonderful, compact 30 hours of play. There's not really any fat to trim. Everything is kind of in its proper place. Events flow smoothly into one another and the game carries you along without you ever feeling like you've hit a slow spot. The general density of the game world and sentimentality of the story recall the 16- and 32-bit era of RPGs but with some interesting Western action game inspired combat. Don't go in looking for the breadth of Xenoblade and don't expect it to big a bigger spectacle than modern Final Fantasy. Accept the game on its own merits.

Xenoblade is great and had some lovely graphics and music. But you have to admit its MMO style kind of overstayed its welcome by the end. The game had the climax of the story and then made you play for another 10 hours to get to the actual ending, too. All of this is to say that it was gigantic but it had some pacing issues.

Last Story on the other hand is a wonderful, compact 30 hours of play. There's not really any fat to trim. Everything is kind of in its proper place. Events flow smoothly into one another and the game carries you along without you ever feeling like you've hit a slow spot. The general density of the game world and sentimentality of the story recall the 16- and 32-bit era of RPGs but with some interesting Western action game inspired combat. Don't go in looking for the breadth of Xenoblade and don't expect it to big a bigger spectacle than modern Final Fantasy. Accept the game on its own merits.

Thanks for the impressions. With a newborn in the house, the compact and streamlined nature of this game is what I'm looking forward to most. On that note, how is the save system? It seems like I can only get small, 30 minute chunks of game time in these days, and a generous save system would be a godsend.

Pyrrhus

Thanks for the impressions. With a newborn in the house, the compact and streamlined nature of this game is what I'm looking forward to most. On that note, how is the save system? It seems like I can only get small, 30 minute chunks of game time in these days, and a generous save system would be a godsend.

I'm adjusting to life with a newborn myself. (This is actually why I imported the game from the UK, to play it before the kid got here.) The game only lets you save at save points, but they're generally not more than 20 or 30 minutes apart. I don't think you'll have too much strife. Unfortunately, you can't pause in cutscenes. But you can go into the menu in battle, which stops everything.

Akibared

I didn't get a text from gamestop telling me to pick up my preorder and the website doesn't have a release date anymore this sucks. :(

I'm adjusting to life with a newborn myself. (This is actually why I imported the game from the UK, to play it before the kid got here.) The game only lets you save at save points, but they're generally not more than 20 or 30 minutes apart. I don't think you'll have too much strife. Unfortunately, you can't pause in cutscenes. But you can go into the menu in battle, which stops everything.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought my RPG days were over for a while, but it looks like I might be able to manage this one. Also, congrats on being a recent father as well.

zroid

Banned
The place I ordered it from changed the estimated availability date to the 21st ~_^

Probably just assuming it will come out next Tuesday instead since they don't have the games quite yet, but still mad!

Pyrrhus

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought my RPG days were over for a while, but it looks like I might be able to manage this one. Also, congrats on being a recent father as well.

I just thought of a work around for the cutscenes. I think the system will pause the game if you remove your nunchuk or classic controller from the remote.

I started this game shortly after my son was born, I finished it and still managed to do all the sidequests (didn't get anywhere with a new game + thought), you guys will be fine. Let the little tykes sleep on your lap, there's no waggle. Have fun!

Top Bottom