• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting Deaths a Year-- USA: 12,000+, Japan: 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting look at the difference between gun-death plagued America and virtually gun-death free Japan.

A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

Waikiki's Japanese-filled ranges are the sort of quirk you might find in any major tourist town, but they're also an intersection of two societies with wildly different approaches to guns and their role in society. Friday's horrific shooting at an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater has been a reminder that America's gun control laws are the loosest in the developed world and its rate of gun-related homicide is the highest. Of the world's 23 "rich" countries, the U.S. gun-related murder rate is almost 20 times that of the other 22. With almost one privately owned firearm per person, America's ownership rate is the highest in the world; tribal-conflict-torn Yemen is ranked second, with a rate about half of America's.
But what about the country at the other end of the spectrum? What is the role of guns in Japan, the developed world's least firearm-filled nation and perhaps its strictest controller? In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally.

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don't forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.
More at the link:
http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-virtually-eliminated-shooting-deaths/260189/

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
As someone who has spent 9 of the last 10 years living in Japan, and plans to spend more, all I can say is: Yep! =)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The murder rate is low but not non-existent...doesn't matter how you die

And Japan has 127 million.

So by that logic, Japan should have around 4,000 shooting deaths per year.

Only if they had the number of guns we did. I think people are kinda of missing the societal and legal differences between Japan and the US.

What's the rate that the Japanese police have for self obtained confessions?

Only if they had the number of guns we did. I think people are kinda of missing the societal and legal differences between Japan and the US.

Well, that's not what you said. You just pointed out the population of the US. Japan has about a third the population of the US, so therefore in that line of logic, Japan should have a third of the shooting deaths as the US.

If they had guns you could say this and be in awe...

That wasn't in his post.

Got you covered

fo0728_worldfirearms1.gif

From 2010:

The 1,097 murders in Japan last year were, according to statistics from the National Police Agency (NPA), down 200 from the previous year, a third of the number in 1954. This is out of a population of 127 million, in the middle of the worst recession since the war.

This represents less than a tenth of the murder rate in the U.S.
, and a hundredth of that of the most violent countries in the Caribbean and South and Central America.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/japan/100304/murder-japan

Japan had over 1000 murders last year. Just because there's no guns doesn't mean there's no death.

And apparently the murder rate there is slowly declining.

Kabouter

While there certainly are things the United States can learn from Japan, I hesitate to compare the two directly. Not only are there differences in the ease of ownership of firearms, which obviously has a major effect as well, but the article also notes this:

The Japanese and American ways of thinking about crime, privacy, and police powers are so different -- and Japan is such a generally peaceful country -- that it's functionally impossible to fully isolate and compare the two gun control regiments.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ehh... I don't really think that Japan's gun-related deaths would be even close to that of America's even if guns were legal there. Just a totally different culture and people.

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don't forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.
Seems pretty sensible to me.

Oh hey, Manos is hear. Let's all hear how 'gun' and 'freedom' are synonyms and how concealed carry is the best thing since Providence herself stepped down from on high to sign the American Constitution with the blood of infidels (and those within collateral proximity).

mike23

From 2010:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/japan/100304/murder-japan

And apparently the murder rate there is slowly declining.

I watched the Freakonomics movie the other day. They said that the murder rate is vastly under reported in Japan because the cops tend to only label incidents as murder if they think they can find the killer. Otherwise, they label is as an abandoned body or something like that. Hence their 97% murder solve rate.

While there certainly are things the United States can learn from Japan, I hesitate to compare the two directly. Not only are there differences in the ease of ownership of firearms, which obviously has a major effect as well, but the article also notes this:

Sure, it just seems obvious at this point that there is something very, very fucked up regarding the American citizenship's relationships to gun culture and violence in general. And I think everyone should be looking around themselves and asking why we're here, how we got here, what it looks like in other countries and what we can do to start shifting away from this level of barbarism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom