• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting Deaths a Year-- USA: 12,000+, Japan: 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh hey, Manos is hear. Let's all hear how 'gun' and 'freedom' are synonyms and how concealed carry is the best thing since Providence herself stepped down from on high to sign the American Constitution with the blood of infidels (and those within collateral proximity).
I'll take it over the lack of personal liberty and privacy that exist in Japan.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Isn't Canada a better comparison than Japan?

Pimpwerx

We clearly need more guns to get those numbers down. Meh.

Looks like Honduras has some serious gun violence issues. PEACE.

Chinner

Banned
these statistics purposefully paint a negative image of guns. where are the statistics of the good things guns have done? yesterday i shot a cat out of a tree and gave it back to a little girl, surely that should be counted.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ehh... I don't really think that Japan's gun-related deaths would be even close to that of America's even if guns were legal there. Just a totally different culture and people.

Hmmm I know they skew a lot of numbers here. A lot of Yak related crimes get shuffled around and that includes gun murders

I'll take it over the lack of personal liberty and privacy that exist in Japan.

Of course you would. You love guns. People like you force guns onto everyone else because don't possess the will to disentangle freedom of speech and expression from the right to own a gun.

I'm fairly certain that you fervently believe that guns are the only reason the government isn't hammering down the doors of those with critical or dissenting views.

RDreamer

Wow, that's kind of crazy. That means there are almost no criminals in Japan. I mean criminals will always get access to guns if they want to anyway, so I guess criminals in Japan just don't want to. Or there aren't that many. Congrats Japan!

railGUN

Banned
Canada only had 611 total homicides in 2008, not sure how many were gun related.

Edit: looks like 200 were gun related.

Of course you would. You love guns. People like you force guns onto everyone else because don't possess the will to disentangle freedom of speech and expression from the right to own a gun.

I'm fairly certain that you fervently believe that guns are the only reason the government isn't hammering down the doors of those with critical or dissenting views.

You want the US to have the police powers that the Japanese police have and the courts to have the conviction rate of 99.7%? This has nothing to do with guns, and it's clear you didn't read the question I posed to you.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm I know they skew a lot of numbers here. A lot of Yak related crimes get shuffled around and that includes gun murders

Oh, for sure. There are certainly some murder cases that get classified as 変死 (unnatural death) and are just swept under the rug.

I just think that, as a culture, Japan is far less violent than the United States. Even if gun ownership was a thing, I don't think gun-related murders would be nearly as high.

BeeDog

Gotta be honest, pleasantly surprised by both Finland and Serbia. For being such gun-toting countries, the number is surprisingly low.

What does that have to do with anything?
If there were guns, there would be more deaths, simple.

People are quick to attribute deaths to guns rather than the people and culture behind them.

With all due respect, that's entirely idiotic. There is a fundamental cultural difference that causes people to kill with guns. Guns certainly are simpler to kill with, but comparing Japan of all places (notable for a relative lack of violent crime in total) with the United States isn't a great idea. Not for this.

There's another reason, and the longer we keep blaming guns in and of themselves is the longer it will take for us to isolate that reason.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Wow, that's kind of crazy. That means there are almost no criminals in Japan. I mean criminals will always get access to guns if they want to anyway, so I guess criminals in Japan just don't want to. Or there aren't that many. Congrats Japan!

It's a complete fallacy that in countries with strict gun laws criminals would still have just as easy access to guns.

They'd either have to have some high-up connections, mob/gang affiliations or a lot of money to spend, and it would attract so much unwanted attention that petty criminals aren't ever going to bother.

People are quick to attribute deaths to guns rather than the people and culture behind them.

With all due respect, that's entirely idiotic. There is a fundamental cultural difference that causes people to kill with guns. Guns certainly are simpler to kill with, but comparing Japan of all places (notable for a relative lack of violent crime in total) with the United States isn't a great idea. Not for this.

There's another reason, and the longer we keep blaming guns in and of themselves is the longer it will take for us to isolate that reason.

Did you take a look at the rigorous screening involved in acquiring guns in Japan? That process alone could cut down on gun deaths in the U.S.

Guns in America is like haggis in Scotland, curling in Canada and cheating on your wife in France. Nobody knows why those respective nationalities have an irrational love for the things they love and nobdy ever will. I just chalk it up to Americans being American.

Brazil must be a really fun place to live but those chart are missing countries that could possibly blow those brazil numbers away

Syria can't be fun right now

Kusagari

Gotta be honest, pleasantly surprised by both Finland and Serbia. For being such gun-toting countries, the number is surprisingly low.

Doesn't Finland have a ridiculously high suicide rate too?

Kind of weird some of the least violent countries have the biggest suicide rates.

Entirely idiotic? Lol, ok.

Guns enable those with the desire to kill to do so, if they are removed, there will be less death, it's simple.
This' 'fundamental cultural difference' is probably partly born from ease of access to guns, that those within the United States are granted.

Did you take a look at the rigorous screening involved in acquiring guns in Japan? That process alone could cut down on gun deaths in the U.S.

I'm all for more rigorous screening, psych evals, etc. My point is that there is a cultural difference (that you can see in other statistics) that guns don't account for.

Guns = deaths isn't the way to think about it. There's a different problem.

RDreamer

Nobody is forcing you to buy gun.

The more and more people around you get guns the more you probably should. Maybe it's not "forcing," but it's pretty close at this point. Look at the gun sales after these tragedies occur. People flock to them for safety. If you want to be safe in a country where nearly everyone else is armed, you pretty well have to fight fire with fire and get one yourself.

You didn't pose a question to me, or you are really bad with punctuation.

So you don't want to answer the question?

Yeah right. We have a background check system in the US and it works.

But do they lack those things because they don't have guns? That seems like a harder conclusion to draw than the correlation between guns on the street and gun violence.
It's part of the overall society as a whole and control and conformance which are huge parts of Japanese society. Keep in mind weapon bans in Japan have a long long history independent of guns.

no it wouldn't, there are too many already out there.
I disagree, someone who is not mentally well can easily impulse buy a gun here in the U.S. Having to seek one out could deter someone who isn't all together from following through on acquiring one.

As it stands, the "screening" process here in the U.S. is a failure and a joke.

Nobody is forcing you to buy gun.

Actually, when people say that the only way to stop gun violence is via less gun control and more concealed carry, that is essentially relegating the role of armed policing onto everyday people who have no business or training to be involved in law enforcement.

So yes, it is forcing me to own a gun. It is admitting that we live in a society that is too dangerous to walk around in while unarmed and it is surrendering to gun-toting criminals by forcing everyone to become armed themselves.

I wasn't born in the wild west, pardon me if I don't want to backslide back there.
So you don't want to answer the question?
What is your question? Is it the false equivocation that if we have active gun control in this country, then our police force is going to all of a sudden be unafraid of the populace and impose some authoritarian agenda? Because no, I don't believe that will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom