• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zurich-GAF Meetup, October 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenka

CQQZi.png

Greetings and Grüezi! Züri-GAF Meetup premiere is a reality. As in all other meetups organized on GAF, the purpose of the event is to meet and discover your fellow gaffers.

***edit: meeting done! check post #42 by Glass Rebel to have a taste of the turn of events!***

Everything is open for discussion. Feel free to submit your opinions about the details of this meeting!

EDIT: date is chosen! To satisfy the maximum amount of Gaffers, the event is held on October, 13th.

Very briefly: After having joined this forum 5 years ago, I progressively got an interest in meeting other posters for real and this happened to me at some occasions, mainly when I was an exchange student back in Sweden. Thus, it was kinda normal to me to setup this meeting, as I would love to know more about all the people that feed this forum in an informative, joyful and sometimes crazy fashion in MY surroundings. Gaffers from Switzerland and beyond are welcome to share a moment with all of us, it would truely be nice to count on the participation of many. Let us know what day you can be present.

My goal is to let participants interact with one another in a frame that I hope would be both comfy and exciting so here are the proposals I would submit as a first contribution ;)

Restaurant Palme de Beirut, 7 pm - mediterranen food and drinks

http://www.palmedebeirut.ch/restaurant.html

Bertastrasse 76
8003 Zürich

Bar Acapulco, 10 pm - sing sing sing, dance dance dance

http://www.acapulco.ch/

Neugasse 56
8005 Zürich

List of participants

confirmed: (5)
Kenka
Glass Rebel
Trokil
metareferential
Neo C.

maybe: (2)
Manaka
Lach

Thanks to Xun for the inspiration!

Trokil

Banned
You can sign me up as well. October is not that busy, so I can be present during the week or at the weekend.

And the Palme de Beirut is really good, liked it very much there. Good food and very friendly people.

Yo Kenka, you can list me for weekdays as well (except for 30 September), just won't be able to hit the clubs thanks to my awful train connections after midnight.

It might be a good idea to PM the known SwissGAFfers, some might have missed it.

Thanks for the PM Kenka.

As I told you, october is a bit tricky; but on weekends it should be doable.

Let's see how many swiss-gaffers we can find xD

Kenka

Sir Igby Ceaser,

If you cross the Danube
the Tyrol
the Vorarlberg
Liechtenstein
the Rhine
and finally the Limatt

to reach Zurich to meet us, then you deserve a GAF-medal with your name in it written in eight different scripts. Honestly, I didn't plan to gather people from so much afar, that's why I am planning the meeting for the mid-term.

But if you do get to come over in the forthcoming weeks, then you're my guest.
No problemo.

Lach

I might be able to make it. I might get sent to Shanghai by my company in october but there's nothing definate yet.

Bömb

I lived in Zurich for a half a year, moved back to Sweden two months ago. Damn you gaf for not having a meet-up while I was there!

Manaka

Thanks for the PM!

I'm not Swiss - but via Railjet Zürich wouldn't be a problem at all
Unfortunately I'll be in Vienna for most of my time off (which isn't that much to begin with) in october...

And as I said in the Swiss-GAF thread: if someone is going to end up in Ticino this weekend, "Sagra dell'uva" for everyone. Too bad the weather is probably going to suck.

Kenka

Thanks for the PM!

I'm not Swiss - but via Railjet Zürich wouldn't be a problem at all
Unfortunately I'll be in Vienna for most of my time off (which isn't that much to begin with) in october...
I'd suggest you talk with SirIgbyCeaser if you plan on coming from Österreich.
So far, all participants would agree on meeting during the first half of the month (based on Neo C.'s availability).

I don't want to put the cart before the horse but seemingly, the meeting has big chances of taking place on Sat, 13th. I will still wait till the end of the week to officially select a date based on everyone's input. Till then, everything is open but that's the turn of events.

And as I said in the Swiss-GAF thread: if someone is going to end up in Ticino this weekend, "Sagra dell'uva" for everyone. Too bad the weather is probably going to suck.
That's nice metreferential! Too bad I am booked at the Fête des Vignerons in Neuchâtel this weekend and the Oktoberfest right after. But if you're not booked for Munich, PM me.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Just saw the PM!

I'll let you guys decide on the date. I'm currently working at home but will back to office for the next month, and i'll have to check if i can move some days around because even though i don't work during week ends, i still have to be around if something happens so i can't go too far outside of Geneva.

Kenka

Usernames added in the OP.

Österreich-GAF, if you come over, you can stay at my place for the weekend as said. We may wander around to some places of interest before and after the meeting. Ticino, in particular, is beautiful. But there is plenty of things to do in Zurich proper also.

Gun_klein.jpg

head.jpg

zurich-switzerland.jpg

First pic is not a hooker it's a laser game ad.

Kenka

Thread updated with the date of the meeting.

Details have been pm'd to the participants! To all, take care till then!

Staab

Sorry for not replying earlier !
I'm real busy these days with a change of work and Zürich is pretty far out so I'll have to pass on this one.

Looking forward to seeing the photos though !

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Zurich GAF, I will be headed your way October 5-7. I'll be traveling from Stuttgart. I don't know anything about your city, except that it's beautiful and pristine. I'm looking forward to it. Any good primers for Zurich? My wife and I don't party or any of that. We're mostly into just doing touristy things.

Kenka

Zurich GAF, I will be headed your way October 5-7. I'll be traveling from Stuttgart. I don't know anything about your city, except that it's beautiful and pristine. I'm looking forward to it. Any good primers for Zurich? My wife and I don't party or any of that. We're mostly into just doing touristy things.
Opera, the Inner City with its chocolate shops and the Rheinfall in Schaffhausen are yours. The last one especially is practical since it's on your way.

Two days is short though. Trips to Lucerne and Ticino are recommended (see EviLore's thread about its tour in Europe).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Two days is short though. Trips to Lucerne and Ticino are recommended (see EviLore's thread about its tour in Europe).

EviLore's thread is so huge that it's impossible to go through. Maybe I'll do a search this thread kind of thing.

As for two days being short, is it really? I live in Stuttgart so if the city really appeals to me, I'll make another trip through. Thanks for the advice. I need to get an itinerary going.

For Zürich (the city, not the Kanton) 2 days might be enough. But Switzerland has many prettier and more interesting places (and I am from Zürich).

Bboy AJ

For Zürich (the city, not the Kanton) 2 days might be enough. But Switzerland has many prettier and more interesting places (and I am from Zürich).
Any suggestions around the Zurich area? I'll have my car with me. I'm not too familiar with Switzerland. I just wanted a nice weekend trip so I booked Zurich.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Any suggestions around the Zurich area? I'll have my car with me. I'm not too familiar with Switzerland. I just wanted a nice weekend trip so I booked Zurich.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

As Kenka said, Rheinfall in Schaffhausen is great and not that far away (45min by car from Zürich). One of the more touristy places you could go.

In Zürich specifically, visit the old town, the Grossmünster and Üetliberg. Everything in very close proximity.

If you're into universities, the main building of the ETH would be the obvious choice. The University of Zürich is right next to it but not half as beautiful IMO.

Other than that, it's really hard to suggest anything special unless you're into museums.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Sorry for the late reply, but i just heard back from work and i won't be able to attend this time sadly. If another Swiss-GAF meetup happens in the future, i'll try to shuffle work duties around if we get a date set a long time in advance!

Anyway, hope you guys have fun and thanks Kenka for putting this up!

Manaka

Woah, good someone pumped this topic - I forgot to write that unfortunately I can't attend either - maybe next time! :)

Kenka

Meta and Trokil, I am late and so is Glass Rebel. Neo C is at the treffpunkt, you might find him if you clear your throat and shout 'NeoGAF!' or 'Neo C' in the sea of the people :) i am really sorry, this is unfortunate. I'll be on place in around 45 min or you can already go to the palme de beirout. In any case, see you shortly.

Neo C.

The meeting was fun, it was nice to meet you guys. :)
As you know, I already preordered the Wii U. Hopefully I'll see some of you on the MH3 Ultimate server next march.

Kenka

Came afterwards :)

We ate so much, I couldn't believe we gulped that amount of food. And it was real good! Thank you everybody for this nice meeting. And I hope you haven't been put off by the late arrival of half of us. Neo, in particular, I am really sorry you waited half an eternity under the clock at the station :/ Overall, a real fun experience, next meeting will be planned more carefully, and it's my sincere hope, will gather more members. Stay tuned.

zurich-switzerland-fireworks.jpg

Yoohoo Züri-GAF!

Neo C.

Neo, in particular, I am really sorry you waited half an eternity under the clock at the station :/

Don't worry, I rarely go to Zurich, so it was quite enjoyable to just walk around and see the town, ask for direction and meet nice people on the way to the restaurant. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom