• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC-GAF August Meetup: Part Deux, The Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
0a57adcaa74a3e72973105ac48958ef1.gif

Recommended Listening:

NEW YORK NEW YORK

Intro:

It's back, with a vengeance! (please bear with me, its my first time organizing a GAF Meetup)

June 29th… what an evening!

June 29th was the first of the many NYC-GAF meet ups expected during the summer. Our lovely host Jipan has introduced us to the wonder of Chelsea's lovely Barcade. Drinks were had, games were played, X-men were living and dying by the quarter-ful, but NY GAF persisted. The evening began with debauchery and ended with debauchery.

Now… this time it's personal ( I have plenty of space for these sequel cliches).

August is a slow month, mainly because:

• No major holidays off
  • Summer is winding itself down.
  • The free events and festivals are slowly disappearing(this city is EXPENSIVE)

Let's make this next one count.

Some ideas being thrown around:

• Coney MUTHAFUCKING Island (Aug 16th,17th, 23rd, or 24th; GAF Hot Dog off?)
  • Baseball Game+Bar hopping(I'm not picky, Mets or Yankees
    METS
    , Aug 16-17, 23-24; both parks are surrounded by bars)
  • Bryant Park redux (Aug 16-17, 23-24;Jipan would be helping me with this one)
  • Summer Streets (every Saturday from Aug 2-16 there's a street fair from Bklyn Bridge up to the UES, 7 miles of food, booze, rock climbing walls, bike rentals, and a zipline)
Those are the ideas rattling in my head, but I wanted to leave this up to a consensus, then coordinate the details then.

Here's the straw poll(quote to reveal):

I'm leaving it in your hands…voting will end in 1 week.

Attending:

Maybe:

NOPE:

Misc:
  • Meetups are open to Juniors, lurkers, visitng Gaffers, and those who're banned but lurk.
  • Subscribe for updates. I'll keep with the pace of the thread.
  • I'm open to any ideas and will update the poll up to Wednesday, Aug 6th.
  • PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY! If any Gaffer has too much to drink, we'll make sure he/she gets home in one piece.

Now, then:

lets-get-weird1.gif

Jhoan

WTF?! You're not me! A meet up NOT hosted by me for a change in ages?! Did Thanos warp us to the Twilight Zone or something? Variety is the spice of life here; as Ezra Pound once said "Make it new!"

Don't worry guys I'll be back in the pilot's seat for my third year making the New York Comic Con meet up thread (coming in late August/early September) and possibly the final meet up of the year in December (remember: Secret Santa theme this year!). Maybe meet up with Vita GAF in September if the school work load isn't insane by then.

Fun fact: Mully's birthday is this month. Forgot what day. I want to say either the 14th or the 21st. I'll be lurking. Here's hoping my successor has a decent turn out regardless of what ends up being the final places. Ramadan is over so you Muslim folks can hopefully come out and play now.

EDIT: *face palm* Dude, I meant Byrant Park as a private thing, not a public thing. You know? Gathering a group of people to talk crap on a lazy Sunday similar to what I did last year (the Aviator sunglasses club all up in that shiz)? Well you live and learn lol. I like how you copied and pasted my OP from the June. What happened to being original. I swear, you have a lot to learn man.

I'll vote Coney Island. The sad truth is, as a New Yorker for 20+ years, I've never been there. I've been the the Aquarium many times though.

Oh shit, I just remembered I'm going to see TMNT next Sunday. I'll probably join you guys at noon if I'm not caught up with other things. Forget more vote for meeting place.

Jhoan

We've all been lurking but just never had much of a reason to bump it. The one GAF meet up that was sentenced to go into obscurity. I swear this is DokEvil's reaction right now :

659183537_470558.gif

This doesn't GIF make a lick of sense but I thought it was funny.

I may or may not end up sitting this one out. We'll see. Also in before EDM fans say "The 29th is E-Zoo weekend!"

Jhoan

Basically the Medieval Festival at Fort Tryon Park on September 29th from 12-6PM. I got a hand injury earlier so Google it.

The second thing that DokEvil is referring to is that I am planning on making an NYC GAF Community thread soon and plan on organizing it through there since there won't be a meet up gracing OT next month unless we agree to move it to September. Otherwise, the next time a "meet up" thread will be gracing OT, it'll be the New York Comic Con 2014 thread some time next week.

botty

Banned
I'll vote Coney Island. The sad truth is, as a New Yorker for 20+ years, I've never been there. I've been the the Aquarium many times though.

what the la fuck. i was just there this weekend. It's really nice and the cyclone is still a decent coaster if you're into that sort of thing.

I think it was too soon to set up another meet up.

Yeah, I never been to Coney Island for some strange reason. I was at the beach, and the Aquarium, but never actually went into Coney Island itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom