• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strike Suit Zero needs our help! Kickstarter project started!

Not sure if it was posted yet but I'm doing it again simply cause this title needs to be made. I'm throwing money at them, literally and I hope the rest of you do as well.

Source - http://www.theouterhaven.net/2012/1...-funding-and-we-can-help-now-via-kickstarter/

Kickstarter page - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43153532/strike-suit-zero

8d9e2556cdb0cf0a9c637f7078951dbb_large.jpg

7518e0b4126c5ff7aabe89e03d59ee34_large.jpg

Press release:
Today Born Ready Games announces the launch of a Kickstarter campaign for its upcoming space combat game Strike Suit Zero. The money raised through Kickstarter is necessary to keep the game in development for a few more months, giving Strike Suit Zero the time to reach its full potential.

James Brooksby, CEO of Born Ready Games, explains: "Strike Suit Zero is incredibly close to being the game we want it to be, but we've realised that we need a little more time, which means that the budget needed to be increased. We hope that with the help of Kickstarter we can bring Strike Suit Zero to launch as the best space combat title the genre has seen for over a decade, and at the same time connect with space game fans around the world."

As part of the Kickstarter campaign, Born Ready is offering exclusive PC beta access to early backers, who will help shape the final few months of development. The closed beta, which is a great opportunity to experience the Strike Suit Zero universe first hand, will run later this year.

Kickstarter supporters will be provided with a variety of valuable and unique rewards, and every backer will be named in the credits of the game. Corresponding to their pledge level, backers can receive the PC game itself bundled with a selection of extras including a Kickstarter exclusive art book, wallpapers, the soundtrack and additional in-game content. Paintings and figurines will also be offered, as well as exclusive clothing from Insert Coin Clothing. On top of all this, there is a once in a lifetime opportunity for two backers to collaborate with Junji Okubo on bringing their very own ideas for a mecha to life in a 3D-printed model. For the complete overview, including one-off rewards for top-tier backers, please visit Strike Suit Zero's Kickstarter page.

In Strike Suit Zero, an atmospheric and adrenaline pumping voyage unfolds with exciting new game mechanics. Players participate in spectacular cosmic skirmishes and pilot a powerful transforming craft known as the Strike Suit in a bid to save Earth from destruction. With stunning music by Paul Ruskay (Homeworld) and Kokia (Tales of Innocence), and incredible mecha designs contributed by Junji Okubo (Steel Battalion, Appleseed), Strike Suit Zero will be released for PC and consoles.

ultron87

Looks like Project Sylpheed but even more mecha-ey and thus I like all elements of this. I'll give that 15 bucks.

Glad to see a thread. I spotted this on KS during a random discover projects run yesterday and I bumped the trailer thread, but hopefully this'll get it more exposure.

The early impressions from cons are good, so I threw 50 at this.

So kickstarter becomes kickfinisher.
This is the straw that broke this camels back I'm afraid.
Game has been looking good for a good year now, hearing they were kickstarting to finish the product, left me with all sorts of feelings about it all.

ultron87

Game has been looking good for a good year now, hearing they were kickstarting to finish the product, left me with all sorts of feelings about it all.

I'm just looking at it as an early cheap preorder since at 100,000 they'll pretty much definitely make it.

You are aware that there are many projects on KS where the initial concept or product is mostly finished, but a final push is needed to get it over the final hurdle, right?

It's quite prevalent in the publishing categories, or anything involving books or miniatures or mass production. I realize in a DD sort of world that these games live in, that getting the final product to the customer might not be as large an issue, but my point is that KS hasn't necessarily been about the very beginning phases of a project for some time.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hmmm... I already backed Starlight Inception, which will be on a platform I'm much more excited to play a space combat game on (VITA)... but 15 is a great price. Time for a coin flip.

Edit: Yup, I'm going for it. Reminds me of Robotech: Battlecry.

Yeah I do know about these kickstarters/finishers.
I'm not one for harshing the buzz of a thread or being down on an indie company, cause I know how negative kickstarter posts seem to go.
Just for me I can't get my head around a 2 year dev cycle and running out of money, isn't that what budgeting is there for?
People see most of Kickstarter as an early pre-order which is cool but are the devs really telling us, if you do not back this, this game will never be released?
2 years of development down the drain because WE didn't back it or...?

I'm not one for harshing the buzz of a thread or being down on an indie company, cause I know how negative kickstarter posts seem to go.
Just for me I can't get my head around a 2 year dev cycle and running out of money, isn't that what budgeting is there for?
People see most of Kickstarter as an early pre-order which is cool but are the devs really telling us, if you do not back this, this game will never be released?

I understand that and yes you're right but there are cases like this one where funding was limited from the get go. I can understand if their intentions were to use Kickstarter from the start however it doesn't seem like it was here.

For a project like this I honestly don't see where they could have landed a backer especially due to the PC being their lead platform and honestly I respect them on what they've done so far. They aren't saying "Give us money or it won't be released", instead they are asking for help to give the game a longer development cycle. Let' be honest there, do really think most companies would allow this vs rushing the title out only to be fixed via patches? We've got way to many games being released like this.

And going back to the Kickstarter issue, again they are asking. I sincerely doubt the title would be scrapped even if they don' reach their limit but it seems that Kickstarter is the easiest option and due to the reception that the game has gotten so far over the past year it's likely given they know that this will get funded due to fans of both the genre and title.

Haunted

Happens a lot, so it's not unlikely. Of course it's sometimes hard to tell whether the plea is honestly desperate, their last chance or a studio just" trying to get additional funding. It varies on a case by case basis and a good Kickstarter pitch usually makes it clear what the status of the project is as of this moment and what the money will be used for - I mean, as a small independent studio without a publisher contract, you're basically always looking for funds from various sources at every opportunity. Kickstarter has become one of these possible sources.

The important thing about "kickfinishing" existing projects like this is that you as a backer don't have the feeling you're getting taken advantage of. If the game's interesting to you and you get the game at a reasonable price for backing, or if you're interested in the additional merchandise, I don't think there shouldn't be a problem.

edit: for this one, here's what they're saying about their funding situation:
The biggest challenge facing Strike Suit Zero is ensuring we have the time to match the scope of our initial ambitions for the game. Now that Born Ready Games is a fully independent studio, we simply can't afford to keep the game in development long enough to do this. Our funding is running out, and we need your help.

Sushigod7

I'd be in but not sure my PC will run it. Looks goergous and lots of veterans working on it. For $15 might be worth it to buy it and play when I upgrade my PC sometime.

Zabka

Looks pretty cool but I think it's a little strange to ask people for money to finish a game but the first we see of the team is them playing foosball.

Mupod

The important thing about "kickfinishing" existing projects like this is that you as a backer don't have the feeling you're getting taken advantage of. If the game's interesting to you and you get the game at a reasonable price for backing, or if you're interested in the additional merchandise, I don't think there shouldn't be a problem.

Didn't kickstarter make a policy that it wasn't to be used as a store, though? Not sure if that applies to this, and like you said I don't care because I'm getting a pretty good price for a game I want. But still.

I think I'm personally kickstarter fatigued and taking it out on Strike Suit, which I really shouldn't as they are an indie studio.
I was lucky enough to see it at Rezzed earlier in the year, it really did look nice on the build they showed. Good quality space combat with the added mecha twist, which did seem to change the style of play. (I didn't play it though personally)
Just thought it was on track for end of year release. Reading some posts have made me see that the devs are mearly holding it back to try and get the best out of it, with some kickstarter cash.
Least with KickStarter you can gauge your target market, via pre-orders and incentives.

Danneee

Yeah, I feel the same. Not that this game doesn't look awesome and all but these late dev cycle kick starters just feel like an easy last minute cash grab just because they can.
A nicer and more consumer friendly way of doing the exact same thing would be to just name it a pre order, not this crap of we never going to play it if we don't give them money like we desperately need another game to play. Oh well, this became a whiny rant and I'm sure I'll buy it when it comes out but I won't support this kind of stuff.

Eh, it's entirely appropriate to be wary and cynical. Fuck knows I am often enough.

The pitch here though is "we'd like to bake it a little longer yet, and need some scratch to make it happen". And I think I'm ok with that. The implication is if it fails they'll just go ahead with what they've got. Scope might be smaller, though.

Y'know, I'll ask them in the comments section for you.

LordCanti

The lack of multiplayer is cutting me deep. Having said that, I'll toss a couple bucks their way for the single player experience.

I've been following this online for a while now, too bad the incentives don't relate to PS3 or 360, which the game is coming to as well.

The guy who runs Mecha Damashii is involved in this, will be interesting to see his take on mecha in a game.

PBalfredo

I'm such a sucker for space combat. Plus this is much more likely to come out than Starlight Inception, which I funded for even more. $15 funded.

By the way, since the first response reminded me, how is Project Sylpheed?

Durante

I asked about Steam support, since I didn't see it mentioned on the kickstarter page:
It will indeed -- your pledge will get you a Steam key for the game.

In case anyone else was wondering.

Enron

Banned
I think im breaking my kickstarter boycott for this. It's Freespace2 x Omega Boost, which is pretty much the perfect Enrongame.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Would if I could

but I can't

One of the first kickstarters I'm really rooting for though. Looks really cool

Maybe I'll be able to give closer to the deadline

DocSeuss

Wow. This is like X-Wing and Homeworld had a baby and it was Zone of the Enders!

I do believe I'll be supporting this!

androvsky

Looks very cool. If they were doing a Mac version they'd have my money.

Guess what the stretch goals are! Looks like they're not going to have much trouble hitting it, either.

This is the first I've heard of the game, I would've been all sorts of hyped about it coming to PSN had I known. Now that I'm upgrading my video card I can look forward to the PC version too, but I need the money I'd spend on the kickstarter to go toward the new card...

Guess what the stretch goals are! Looks like they're not going to have much trouble hitting it, either.

This is the first I've heard of the game, I would've been all sorts of hyped about it coming to PSN had I known. Now that I'm upgrading my video card I can look forward to the PC version too, but I need the money I'd spend on the kickstarter to go toward the new card...

"75k reached! Mac and Linux versions announced!"

Ah, thanks! I would have missed that!

What's the current deal with Kickstarter & Paypal?

Top Bottom