• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars Magica: Years of Conquest - Pen & Paper RPG to PC - Yes, Another Kickstarter!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Black Chicken Studios, working under license from Atlas Games, is delighted to present a new simulation role-playing game for the PC. After 25 years and 5 editions, Ars Magica will at long last be paid tribute in a single-player, turn-based video game. Authentic to the original, this is a faithful, beautiful, and accurate depiction of covenant gameplay and the RPG’s legendary magic system during a dangerous century in the Stonehenge Tribunal. With your help, we’ll bring Ars Magica: Years of Conquest and its tapestry of wars, intrigue, invasion and, above all, magic to life!
f38f138cf55c293477e649d628a0fb5b_large.jpg

1c888265503138220b4f4ed80825cecf_large.jpg

Imagine a world where myth is real. Faeries dance in forest glades, angels protect the Church, demons corrupt the weak, and wizards wield magic beyond the ken of other mortals. You play one of these mages, and belong to one of 13 Houses banded together to form the ancient Order of Hermes. You’re dedicated to protecting and perfecting your command over magic. Served by knights, warriors, and peasants, you contend with the perils of plagues, beasts, battles, and other wizards to defend your covenant, your power, and your prestige. Your wizard will need to master the perils of life and death itself, if you are to prosper over 100 years of gameplay.
5e1c9230bbcb3a948a1affa5f86a867e_large.jpg

You’ll create your own character, and then try to survive from the first spring of your covenant to a final, epic winter a century later … and possibly renewal, if that is your destiny. Combat and other forms of conflict are resolved using a unique turn-based system, in which your environment plays a dynamic and critical role. Where you are, and how you interact with your surroundings, is as important as your choice of weapon, or the tactics you emply. Stories, opportunities, armies, and crafty agents of your foes will appear on the world map, and you must decide which challenges to face, and which to allow to go by. Over the years and decades, the least decision you make may have long-term unforeseen consequences. The bonds of family and friendship will be tested as the years age everyone, new generations arise, and old sins are visited upon sons and daughters. This is a game of many powers, and the pieces have a mind of their own.
fd085891829b76b45d173ff4bad0d0ea_large.jpg

237a27782c06adf44e2943e0a09bcf1e_large.jpg

In Years of Conquest, your covenant is bound by the almost imperceptible thread of destiny. Every character you recruit changes the destinies possible, and every decision you make brings you one step closer to your ultimate fate. You must deliver your judgments carefully: matters of life and death, magic and power, faith and treachery will all change your course in subtle and direct ways. Personalities matter too: friends like to work with friends, rivals like to compete, and enemies work for a final resolution. You will need to balance the needs of the covenant with the needs of individual characters, or else you’ll wind up with lengthy pilgrimages, drunken brawls, spurned lovers, and perhaps a laboratory or two on fire. In Years of Conquest, just as in Ars Magica, the story is truly how you play it.
e3b6cff21ffeaa5d103494dcd56d5d78_large.jpg

9f0aeee0bd72e908a8f1f86fef6cd538_large.jpg

Seasons matter a great deal in Ars Magica, as people come and go, are born and die, and lead their lives under your protection. How you deal with generations will lead to your success or the ultimate ruin of your Covenant. Your follower’s personalities, virtues, flaws and other traits may lead to prestigious magics, noble crusades, glorious deeds and well-tended fields...or Byzantine intrigues, banditry and slaughter, and the desolation of the earth. Your Covenant, too, will grow and change, as you build new laboratories, fortification and homes. Building better and wealthier structures can be rewarding for health, research and prestige...but be wary of attracting too much attention from the outside world, or you may discover that there are some forces against which Magic is no remedy.
2134476b8a0ec1ff7d71b1e2aab2bbb6_large.jpg

Since the first edition of Ars Magica, the enigmatic House Diedne has presented a riddle to every covenant. The descendants of Druids, possessed of strange magic and an unwholesome reputation, they were destroyed by the Order of Hermes under circumstances made unclear by the passage of time. Were they practitioners of dark sorceries, or the blameless victims of a political struggle? Could any have survived? What were their weapons and magics? Years of Conquest begins in 1000AD, on the eve of the Schism War that destroyed House Diedne. Not only will you witness this tumultuous era, but you will be able to, for the first time, play as a member of House Diedne in their final hours. Should you choose that House, you will be confronted by a world-shaking chain of events, and must make the difficult decisions presented to you at the hands of zealous foes. In this time of crisis, what is true and false may be difficult to determine ...
7bf6cc9abc95e77e8d9847be14e2c26b_large.jpg

Black Chicken Studios is an independent developer of video games, including Academagia: The Making of Mages, and 1931: Scheherazade at the Library of Pergamum. They specialize in deep, immersive, and unique simulation role-playing video games. With their next-generation proprietary adventure engine, Black Chicken Studios has secured a license to the Ars Magica RPG for development as a PC video game.

Atlas Games is the world-renowned publisher of award-winning cards games, board games, and RPGs, including Ars Magica, Once Upon a Time, Lunch Money, and Gloom. Its president, John Nephew, has been involved with Ars Magica publishing since 1989, and has supported its development through all five editions.
6288612cdc33b2f2582026e89aad18e5_large.jpg

I'm kind of disappointed it's going to be single player after their presentation video sort of implied it would translate the experience they were having all together without the need to meet in person which is often impossible for friends.

But still, this could be great, I'm hearing good things about the system and the Kickstarter page has a lot of interesting information about it. Also, it sounds less like a conventional RPG and perhaps closer to games like King of Dragon Pass, or is it just me?

Anyway, their goal is $290,000 and the lowest tier that gets you the game is $20.

dude

dude
I like the original P&P game... But I'm not sure how interesting they could make it as an simulation game? Also, the magic system was very, very free and I have high doubts about turning it into a video game. I will wait for a bit more info before I back this, but I am very intrigued.

Madouu

I'm interested. Anybody played their two previous games? I'll try to check out their demos if available when I've got a bit of time.

Alexios

Some information about how the pen & paper game plays from the devs.
In your typical Ars Magica game, a significant portion of your campaign is spent doing what is usually behind the scenes in other role-playing games: your mages research, ponder philosophical questions and write and read books; your companions are politicking with nobles, running your estates and/or going abroad for various reasons; and your peasants are living, working and getting into all kinds of trouble on the front lines. What's more, all the people in your Covenant have their own personalities (and usually mages get pretty eccentric), which leads to all kinds of craziness.

This portion, referred to as the 'Long-Term Event' or 'Laboratory' gameplay of Ars Magica, is already set up like a turn-based simulation game in the rpg. So, over the course of the years, you'll be directing all these activities, with some...interesting consequences depending on the personalities involved, and what it is you've decided to do.

The role-playing game is the quests, adventures, judgments and narrative arcs that figure into the overall destiny of the Covenant. In the tabletop game, this is usually when the dice come out, foes are battled, and treasures are won. It's not exactly D&D- in Ars Magica, adventures can range from the consequences of an unsavory deal to problems arising an over-potent brew, and don't necessarily involve dungeons and the like...but you probably get the gist.

Overall, the simulation and the role-playing game experience are probably going to be unlike *anything* you've ever seen or played, if you've never experienced the tabletop game.
Sounds pretty cool.

Also, you can download the 4th edition rule book for free (5th is latest).

dude

dude
Some information about how the pen & paper game plays from the devs.
Sounds pretty cool.

Also, you can download the 4th edition rule book for free (5th is latest).

Most people who will back this probably knows how the P&P game plays, but it's impossible to directly convert it into a video game, and they give us no information on how they plan to pull that off. This knowledge gives us no indication on how the video game will play.

Just think of the differences between P&P D&D and D&D video games, and that's a rather closed and mechanical system compared to the free magic system of Ars Magica. P&P games cannot be directly translated to video games, I need to know about their actual game, not the source material.

Alexios

Going by their last stat-driven game and how they emphasize leading your covenant - and say this aspect will be very close to the tabletop which is already video game friendly according to them, but not you, though I have little reason to believe either more than the other myself - I'd say King of Dragon Pass-like with more emphasis on character skills is a good bet. That's the vibe I get. Hopefully less random with players more capable of producing good strategies without needing trial and error tactics beyond a certain extent. I mean, if you expect all the pen and paper possibilities you're bound to be disappointed (so it's good you're starting with the "it's impossible" attitude, though you seem to be blaming them for it on some level presenting it as a negative), I'm interested in the concept as something interesting and new regardless of how close to the pen and paper, which I haven't experienced, it is. Technically, even the best DnD games people cite as the best RPGs don't offer anywhere near the possibilities of the pen and paper and have the rules often changed to be nearly unrecognizable, this sounds like it will be a little more faithful at its core level to me. Vast changes will be needed of course. I mean, it's a single player game to begin with. At least for now.

dude

dude
Okay, this got me interested.

The game was created by Jonathan Tweet and Mark Rein·Hagen (who's more known as founder of White Wolf, and creating Vampire: The Masquerade.) It's the basis for much of what later became the World of Darkness (to the point some people actually consider it a part of WoD.) If you played Mage, it's sort of similar. It's a very interesting game... But I have high doubts about its adaptability into a video game. They could just as welll have promised us a Nobilis RPG! (Which is the ultimate hipster P&P game.)

Basically, in order to turn it into a video game, they have to strip it down of most of its unique features. I will probably wait for them to elaborate a bit more about how they plan to tackle this before I put down any money. Their promise, right now, taken for their sentiment of "it'll play like the P&P game" is to replicate to a video game a system that lets you cast any spell at any time with widely varying results and also let you create new spells from scratch. And this is the heart of Ars Magica, making the magic system less free and spontaneous will remove a huge chunk of its appeal. So they have a lot of explaining to do.

jlh

I'm in for $30 based solely on how much fun I've had with Academagia but I will more than likely increase that amount before the end of the kickstarter.

Ceebs

In for 20 for the game. never even heard of the P&P game, but I am always down for more video game conversions. (I really wish the Drakensang guys were still doing the SP stuff instead of that browser based diablo-like)

jlh

First update today with a lot of interesting info on how they plan on translating the pen & paper to the computer. Apparently they are including at launch only the spells in the latest rulebook and the Kickstarter spells and this...

"...so, where does this leave Spontaneous Magic? First, Spontaneous Magic can replicate the Effects of any Spell in the game, whether you know it or not. Secondly, Spontaneous Magic can appear as a special (scripted) option in any portion of the game, for especially those areas where simple magic is called for that doesn't have a Spell analogue."

I've never played Ars Magica so I don't know if that is something that is part of the game or something new they are coming up with but it sounds really cool.

Full update here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/ars-magica-video-game/posts/332639?ref=email&show_token=7488752561a56e22

Alexios

More updates like this.
Getting into Trouble
As mentioned in previous Updates, Combat can come as a result of Opportunities (your Covenfolk are ambushed, you prepare a raid against the local banditry, something goes terribly wrong and so on) and during the course of quests. Combat is party based, highly tactical, abstract and very old school.

The Middle Ages were Lethal
First of all, combat in the Ars Magica tabletop game is not something to take lightly. For those of you unfamiliar with the rules, hitting or missing is determined by a simple roll based on Attack and Defense factors, with degree of damage based on your weapon and the defender’s ability to ‘Soak’, or resist, wounding. A strong and well-armored warrior can dispatch many foes...but eventually even the greatest will fall due to fatigue and wounds. A weak and unarmored wizard, on the other hand is hopeless in a melee, and a dagger in the right hands can end your favorite character in a heartbeat.

Be careful. ;)
Combat in Years of Conquest uses the tabletop system in full and adds in an extra dimension of environmental effects. On the tabletop, you have a GM to tell you what your surroundings are, and in the video game you have the Environment. This is an abstract set of features and conditions which are reachable by any party (with some restrictions on positionality) within the bounds of the combat. It’s very diverse, and can range from a tree, your wagon, a muddy pool and a boulder, all in one encounter.

Negotiating with the Battlefield
Your party, and your opponent, use these environmental features to take shelter, improve their defenses, carry our special attacks, and to gain other bonuses. Unlike other tactical rpgs, the limits of your positional tactics aren’t flanks and area of effect cones, but rather the interaction of where you’ve positioned your characters versus where they’ve positioned their characters, and how you can best use that to your advantage. Characters themselves can be features, too- an important distinction when you really need to protect someone, for instance your mage.

A quick example of a typical combat situation might be helpful here: a warrior is making use of a ‘Narrow Ground’ feature so that your melee can only attack him, and no one else on the field. Meanwhile, an archer is at a ‘Tree Limb’ feature, which improves his ranged attacks. You might instruct your characters to contest the ‘Narrow Ground’ feature and rob the warrior of its bonus, direct your mage to snap the ‘Tree Limb’ and send the archer plummeting, take cover behind a ‘Boulder’, or make use of a ‘Witty Taunt’ action to bring the warrior to you (thereby removing the feature from them.) Only through careful use of the Environment will you be victorious- and since unused parts of the Environment refresh each round to reflect the shifting circumstances in combat, you’ll need to be constantly adapting tactics to succeed.

Magic and the Environment
For most of your covenfolk, features offer variations on key concepts: attack, defense, denial and movement. For your mages, however, features offer unique ways to set your opponent on fire, snare them, charm them to your side and empower your magic. Every feature usually has one or more spell action associated with it, allowing mages proficient with spells (or good at Spontaneous Magic) the ability to use the Environment against your foes. Turning your opponents ‘Narrow Ground’ into a muddy trap, using tree branches to capture the archer or tossing the boulder on top of a bandit is just the beginning...

Sweet Victory
Combat continues until one party flees, surrenders or is charmed into submission. And if you hold the field you’ll able to recover your wounded, loot, and progress...if not, well...you might find some of those lost items in a merchant’s inventory down the road. No promises.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I remember that game. So, can you play the different Houses in the Order of Hermes like the pre-Embraced Tremere?

The game was created by Jonathan Tweet and Mark Rein·Hagen (who's more known as founder of White Wolf, and creating Vampire: The Masquerade.) It's the basis for much of what later became the World of Darkness (to the point some people actually consider it a part of WoD.) If you played Mage, it's sort of similar. It's a very interesting game... But I have high doubts about its adaptability into a video game. They could just as welll have promised us a Nobilis RPG! (Which is the ultimate hipster P&P game.)
While not 100% canon, Ars Magicka pretty much was considered the history of the WoD before the Tremere became Vampires. Besides the mentions of it in Vampire and the Clanbooks, the Order of Hermes Tradition book makes a lot of mention to it and even the existing modern day Houses that carried on from the Middle Ages to today.

Top Bottom