• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale is giving the silent treatment to customers experiencing game-breaking bugs

taoofjord

Telltale's support forum for The Walking Dead is riddled with people complaining about bugs they've experienced and Telltale's support has been extremely limited. Apparently quite a few people have tried contacting Telltale for help but have received no response. Some have asked for a refund and have yet to get an email back. I'm left shaking my head. Why are they handling this so poorly? People want to play The Walking Dead and they're not only dropping the ball but coming across as a company that does not care about its customers.

The bugs I've experienced were introduced around when Episode 2 came out they still haven't been fixed.

My two issues:
1) Every time I quit the game my save files are no longer recognized by the game, giving me the only option of restarting from the beginning of episode 1. I've found my save files in a folder within My Documents but have had no luck getting the game to recognize them. The game seems to keep creating a new folder each time I load it up.

Some people have figured out how to fix this issue but it has not worked for everyone, myself included.

2) When I load the game with my xbox controller plugged in the game crashes to the desktop. If I try plugging the controller in after the game loads it doesn't recognize it.

As much as I want to just give up on the game, I can't. I really enjoyed what I played and I've heard nothing but great things about the following episodes. Something needs to be done, though. Telltale shouldn't be getting away with terrible customer support like they have been.

I like their games, but they've always been a technical mess. Sucks to hear that they have shitty customer service too.

I also have the 360 controller problem which affects every single game they've made. If it's connected, none of their games will start. When I disconnect it, they all start up just fine.

I've had their customer service treatment myself. Episode 3 of Walking Dead deleted my save files on my 360. Messaged them, asked if there was a fix. Not even recognition of my query. Haven't bought 4 yet, and won't buy 5, I shouldn't think. Don't want to play through again in case it happens again.

legacyzero

Banned
I had HEAVY graphics issues with Episode 3 on my old AMD card. Then I built my new rig with Nvidia. Absolutely no issue aside from a stutter here and there.

Fox Mulder

All of their games that I've played have run like shit, this is just the first time the story is good enough for me to keep going. Luckily, I've only have frame rate and sound sync problems with The Walking Dead on the 360.

I'm actually not surprised they have horrible customer service too. It's kind of standard everywhere. Nothing like digging up the contact info of a company for a problem, only to get back a standard reply seemingly typed by a robot that isn't even related to your question.

Jb

Anything other than direct results never makes anyone happy. OP's experience isn't exactly unique to any developer/publisher ever.

Sure, but most games don't have this much technical issues. Besides, when did Ep1 come ou, march? Surely they should havve had the time to acknowledge the problem and staff up since then, no?

LQX

On the PC the game can sometimes forgets your last chapter and when you go back to play it says chapter 1. This makes you think you have lost your saves if for instance you last saved in chapter 3. Go to to chapter 3 and play it and it will start you at where you last saved. I bet this fucks with a lot of people making them think they lost their saves. This kept happening to me.

I personally have had issues with the stat tracking since episode 2... it just has not worked at all. Whenever I finish an episode, I get a placeholder screen of stats instead of the game showing my how my choices matched up with the rest of the players. This has been a problem for something like 4 months now, there are multiple posts on the Telltale forums about this issue and the company hasn't even acknowledged it. It's not a game breaking issue but yea, this is pretty poor on their part.

Ein Bear

I completely forgot about that. Actually I forgot how little I thought of Telltale in general around the time they were putting out Jurassic Park. TWD completely redeemed them for me.

I thought the Jeep thing turned out to just be the guy being crazy and not Telltale's fault?

I love Telltale to death but one think they are really lacking on is customer communication. Back in the early days, they had this great community manager named Emily who was fantastic at her job. Since she left, customer relations from Telltale has been terrible.

Is that true? Never heard that.

It was a little of both. Telltale did damage the jeep but they were following his exact instructions. So I'm not sure who is really at fault. I think if they had a better community manager at the time, this might have not blown up like it did.

It was a little of both. Telltale did damage the jeep but they were following his exact instructions. So I'm not sure who is really at fault. I think if they had a better community manager at the time, this might have not blown up like it did.

We will never know the truth about the matter. But I don't see someone who lends a JP jeep want to screw people making a JP game right before launch for the sake of a compensation.

I'm inclined to believe it was Telltales fault, but I cannot know for sure.

So, would u guys say no to the pc version? I thought about buying it.

My biggest recommendation for the PC version is to make sure you're backing up your save file between episodes. I've been doing that since episode 2, and sure enough the episode 3 download wiped my save. It's important to have a backup on hand. Other wise I think you'll likely be fine.

My save was messed up and wouldn't transfer to episode 4. I tried doing various "fixes" that supposedly worked for others but they didn't for me. The series hasn't hooked me so I wasn't upset about it.

Persona7

Banned
I sent them a email a while back about the sound quality sounding robotic and metallic in a game and I never got a reply.

My save was messed up and wouldn't transfer to episode 4. I tried doing various "fixes" that supposedly worked for others but they didn't for me. The series hasn't hooked me so I wasn't upset about it.

If you're on Windows, I found that right clicking the save folder in your "My Documents" folder and selecting "Restore Previous Versions" from before launching into the episode worked well. Depends on having Windows Backup turned on, and how long ago you tried, but I don't see it posted about as much.

I sent them a email a while back about the sound quality sounding robotic and metallic in a game and I never got a reply.

For what it's worth, they updated that shortly after the release of the first episode.

If you're on Windows, I found that right clicking the save folder in your "My Documents" folder and selecting "Restore Previous Versions" from before launching into the episode worked well. Depends on having Windows Backup turned on, and how long ago you tried, but I don't see it posted about as much.

I don't have Windows Backup turned on so it wouldn't have worked. But one of the things I did try was downloading a program that allows you to edit timestamps. So I had to start a new game that created a new save, copy it, then rename the old save to what the new one is, and copy of the times from the new one to the old one.

That's disappointing.

I've been having bugs since, I believe, episode 3. Nothing serious that quitting out of the game and restarting didn't fix, but still, it's been annoying- things like falling through the world, or having characters get stuck in inappropriate positions.

I don't have Windows Backup turned on so it wouldn't have worked. But one of the things I did try was downloading a program that allows you to edit timestamps. So I had to start a new game that created a new save, copy it, then rename the old save to what the new one is, and copy of the times from the new one to the old one.

Weird. It seems like most of the choices are interpreted by the prefs.prop file in the save folder, and more often than not the saves themselves don't disappear, but rather the prefs.prop file gets written over to a much smaller filesize (mine's currently 39.5 KB, but when it was written over it went to 6 KB).

I wish someone at Telltale could release a save editor for the PC for all the people affected, or something to that effect. I'm sure it wouldn't be trivial to put together, but it would help out a small but growing community of those affected. I've experienced the silent treatment before with them on this issue which is strange considering how open to communication they've been on previous things. It's a shame.

inky

When I bought Puzzle Agent from them, and it wouldn't work with my card at the time (460 gtx) it took them 6 months and the game to pop up on Steam for them to fix the problem.

The worst part was that they promised it was an easy fix in their forums that was always coming next week; they did this for about 2 months. Then, they simply stopped acknowledging there was a problem. Their customer service is absolute crap and the reason I skip all of their games now, no matter how good the are.

hwalker84

Telltale's support forum for The Walking Dead is riddled with people complaining about bugs they've experienced and Telltale's support has been extremely limited. Apparently quite a few people have tried contacting Telltale for help but have received no response. Some have asked for a refund and have yet to get an email back. I'm left shaking my head. Why are they handling this so poorly? People want to play The Walking Dead and they're not only dropping the ball but coming across as a company that does not care about its customers.

The bugs I've experienced were introduced around when Episode 2 came out they still haven't been fixed.

My two issues:
1) Every time I quit the game my save files are no longer recognized by the game, giving me the only option of restarting from the beginning of episode 1. I've found my save files in a folder within My Documents but have had no luck getting the game to recognize them. The game seems to keep creating a new folder each time I load it up.

Some people have figured out how to fix this issue but it has not worked for everyone, myself included.

2) When I load the game with my xbox controller plugged in the game crashes to the desktop. If I try plugging the controller in after the game loads it doesn't recognize it.

As much as I want to just give up on the game, I can't. I really enjoyed what I played and I've heard nothing but great things about the following episodes. Something needs to be done, though. Telltale shouldn't be getting away with terrible customer support like they have been.
Yep I've had both of these issues.

The first one pissed me off till no end and I was never able to remedy this.

The second I had to drop some DLL file into the walking dead directory. If I find that info I'll post it here.

Weird. It seems like most of the choices are interpreted by the prefs.prop file in the save folder, and more often than not the saves themselves don't disappear, but rather the prefs.prop file gets written over to a much smaller filesize (mine's currently 39.5 KB, but when it was written over it went to 6 KB).

I wish someone at Telltale could release a save editor for the PC for all the people affected, or something to that effect. I'm sure it wouldn't be trivial to put together, but it would help out a small but growing community of those affected. I've experienced the silent treatment before with them on this issue which is strange considering how open to communication they've been on previous things. It's a shame.

Between all of these reports of people having issues and getting ignored and how they've been straying away from doing adventure games to stuff that's much more accessible, TellTale in general has just been on a downward spiral in my eyes. Then there's that story about the jeep from last year and it just makes me wonder what's going on over there. Maybe I'm just looking too much into it.

They probably don't have an answer and don't want to say ANYTHING until they do.

Which is probably not a great plan, but hey, whatever they think will work.

shaowebb

Small team + Largest successful game to date = Potent mix for horrendous customer support.

This really. They've had a couple of mistakes in this area before. I mean its hard to try to handle all the customers for a game this successful when you're only a handful of people. Things will take them time to go through and its really to be expected.

Had the exact same 2 issues as the OP, controller made it crash and I lost my save right after playing the beginning of EP 3. I haven't even played 3 or 4 yet because I really don't want to play through 1 and 2 again and try and remember all the choices I made. Probably just gonna wait until EP 5 is out then play through all of them :/

I discovered this when I risked "Sam & Max" when they ported to iOS. What a broken 5fps mess that was. Telltale ignored me on the glitches with that game. The "fix" eventually was buying an iPad 2.

To my knowledge they have NEVER been called out on any of this crap. Glad to see this thread exist.

Kade

Had issues when Episode 3 game out where the game would crash as soon as I launched it and when I got it fixed it, my game save didn't work. Tried lots of things to get it working, including reinstalling the game, copying save files, swapping files and nothing works so I'm fairly upset because I became pretty attached to the story, characters and decisions.

Hopefully someone makes a save generator or something.

DonMigs85

Probably harder for them to pinpoint the cause of bugs in the PC version. The customer's OS, installed updates, software, drivers, etc can probably contribute to the problem too.

whyman

Telltale support have been sh*t for a long time. I remember me and X others having a game breaking bug in wallace and gromit. When they finally answered it was pretty much "sorry but we wont do anything about it".

NZNova

According to the Steam forums, the controller issue can be overcome by snagging a copy of dinput8.dll from the internets and putting it in the game directory. So, that's handy to know if they haven't fixed it by the time the next chapter comes out.

d0c_zaius

I will never forgive them for the bug that froze my language selections at the end of Walking Dead episode 4. My only chance to tell someone to F off and Lee just stands there answering ".....".

Wont buy any more PC versions of their stuff...only console versions from now on.

Top Bottom