• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale is giving the silent treatment to customers experiencing game-breaking bugs

ArjanN

I will never forgive them for the bug that froze my language selections at the end of Walking Dead episode 4. My only chance to tell someone to F off and Lee just stands there answering ".....".

Wont buy any more PC versions of their stuff...only console versions from now on.

But the console versions of their games are buggier than the PC versions.

Ledsen

I know. Turns out they didn't ruin it and used the carrier the owner suggested, but they still paid to speed up the insurance process. That was nice of the TT CEO.
Link to how that got resolved? Read it at the time but don't remember what happened.

All of their games have had bugs and I bet they have had under 3 patches total for all of their games on steam. I will bet The Walking Dead gets 0 patches.

I haven't started playing this but bought the season pass right away. I'll probably get around to it before too long.

Is the xbox 360 controller issue on PC universal? I use my PC as a super console and typically play games from my couch with a controller.

Ledsen

I haven't started playing this but bought the season pass right away. I'll probably get around to it before too long.

Is the xbox 360 controller issue on PC universal? I use my PC as a super console and typically play games from my couch with a controller.

None of these issues are (thankfully) universal, I've played through all episodes on my PC without any controller or save-related problems. After reading this thread it sounds like I was lucky.

I had my saves not recognize after having my choices not carry over in the Walking Dead and they were no help. Even their help forum seemed to ignore it.

Don't fret, your choices barely matter anyway.

I just played episode 1 for the first time last night and fucking loved it. Reading this thread is making me worry though...what about the big decisions like
who you chose to save at the end of the episode? If your save doesn't work do you just start out with both of those characters dead in episode 2? That seems like kind of a dealbreaker honestly

Amazing game, can't wait to play the next episode

I've had the same problem on iPAD. Bought ep 1. Played through. No problem. Started ep 2, and it didn't recognize ep 1. I thought that I did something wrong. I enjoyed the experience so much, though, I just started over again until i finished ep2.

Ep 3 comes out and i'm STOKED. I'm ready to play, then I notice that NONE of my progress was saved, AGAIN. I really want to play this game, but I just don't have the energy to start all over from ep1 again. decided to wait until all chapters are released, then play from scratch. Starting over everytime is really draining.

Grayman

I just played episode 1 for the first time last night and fucking loved it. Reading this thread is making me worry though...what about the big decisions like
who you chose to save at the end of the episode? If your save doesn't work do you just start out with both of those characters dead in episode 2? That seems like kind of a dealbreaker honestly

Amazing game, can't wait to play the next episode
Someone always lives in the early choices. There is a default path through the game if you start episodes with no saved game, I think Gary Whitta posted some of the major ones in the spoiler thread.

Chatin

Never had any of the save issues with the PS3 version of the game. Have greatly enjoyed the experience, but it sucks for those who are struggling to get to play it.

NeoRausch

This is why I haven't bought any of their games.

Youtube is your best friend. Save your money.

Yupp, watching this game has the same emotional impact on you like playing it.

Edit:
i think i missunderstood your comment. Still, you'r missing out on of the best experiences this generation.

Issues I have hit are:

* Can't have a controller plugged in via USB under windows 8. Not a big deal, I can live with this.
* Can't play with shadows on and my AMD card. You think this could be fixed.
* Saves being removed during episode updates. Can recover these manually but it is very frustrating.
* Choices not carrying over. Again could fix this manually until I got to episode 4 and it showed one of the original choices being reversed. By that stage I was over it so just kept playing.

The real shame? Without these issues (and the stat tracking one) this game is easily my GOTY. They all seem pretty easy to reproduce/fix too. I think the official line from the forums was they were struggling to reproduce things like the lost save issue. Seeing as how it is just overwriting files or saving them in the wrong place, it should be something that could be patched?

NewFresh

I've had a mixed bag with customer service at TellTale. Granted, this was pre-Walking Dead, but I had some issues with a Sam and Max cd and they provided me with a new CD and as well as a code for any free game free of charge.

But when I got stuck in Back to the Future Episode 1 (Hit the Pipe Bug), they were silent. I had to start the game over and follow a walkthrough to make sure I didn't get the same bug. But I never got a response from them about it. I think it is fixed now, but who knows?

Isaccard

Just picked this up today on sale through Steam. I expect I'll have similar save issues once episode 5 is released.

beastmode

I bought this game since it was on sale and has had great reception but holy fuck.

Episode 2:
I cannot progress past Brenda's hostage bullshit on the stairs. I probably spent 45 minutes retrying it over and over thinking it was just poorly designed (like the stealth scenario in Ep 1) but no, turns out this shit is busted. Damn. Feels like a total game-ruiner for me.

Blablurn

what the hell, every time i play this game (after shutting down the pc) my save file is gone. the game lets me play from episode one again. what the hell :/ this is annoying.

Amneisac

I fixed the save issue by copying a preferences file from the steam game folder to the my documents tell tale folder, if that makes sense. I can't look up what I did now, but that fixed the issue with it not recognizing saves for me.

Blablurn

I fixed the save issue by copying a preferences file from the steam game folder to the my documents tell tale folder, if that makes sense. I can't look up what I did now, but that fixed the issue with it not recognizing saves for me.

what is a preferences file and where can i find it? :D

and in case u can tell me, i just need to copy that one in the documents folder?

10cpb2.jpg

as u can see the save files are still there.

Thier CS has always been shit. I had problems with BTTF and Monkey Island that were given "Oh well..." responses. Not to mention that my Episode 1 save of TWD randomly got deleted and they offered zero support for the issue. :|

Amneisac

I overwrote that prefs.prop with the prefs.prop from the walking dead game folder in steamapps / common.

My issue was that I would go to start Ep. 4 and it wouldn't recognize my saved game. I could complete episode III and then it would say 'coming soon' for episode 4.

Trying to find out why I couldn't download episode 4 ("no connection to the internet") was a pretty big headache. I ended up finding a thread hidden away on their forums that was able to help but some official support would have been fantastic.

The Steam key was a nice gesture when they couldn't get episode 1 up for the Telltale site though so it's not all bad.

Blablurn

I overwrote that prefs.prop with the prefs.prop from the walking dead game folder in steamapps / common.

My issue was that I would go to start Ep. 4 and it wouldn't recognize my saved game. I could complete episode III and then it would say 'coming soon' for episode 4.

what if there is no prefs.prop in the steamapps / common folder :|

Amneisac

what if there is no prefs.prop in the steamapps / common folder :|

Well, it's in the walking dead game's folder in steamapps common, sorry I wasn't clear. If I were at home I'd be able to help you a lot more specifically.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=661539

The problem
I've finished both episode 1 and 2. When starting the game today to FINALLY play episode 3, the game only showed a savegame stating 'episode 1'. It looked like the game didn't save anything from episode 2.
In the folder containing the savegames (C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead), there were .save files that corresponded with episode 2 (save_11 - save_28). Apparently the game DID save the game (hence the files being there), but it isn't finding it for some reason.

The fix
The game reads the prefs.prop stored in X:\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default . Copy your prefs.prop file from the my documents folder (C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead) to the steamapps folder.

This is probably caused by a register error telling the game to read/write the prefs.prop file stored in the steamapps folder.
Note that this means you'll have to do this every time you restart your game!

tl;dr : Take a look in this folder for a prefs.prop : X:\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default

PS. I made this thread in the discussion forum too to help as much people as possible. A fair trade for Telltale not helping AT ALL.

Isaccard

I bought this game since it was on sale and has had great reception but holy fuck.

Episode 2:
I cannot progress past Brenda's hostage bullshit on the stairs. I probably spent 45 minutes retrying it over and over thinking it was just poorly designed (like the stealth scenario in Ep 1) but no, turns out this shit is busted. Damn. Feels like a total game-ruiner for me.

I think you're doing it wrong.

Lack of response made TT the only company I refuse to support, regardless of how much a title may appeal to me. Got burned once on a Sam/Max digital deal that also included the DVD that never shipped and they refused to respond. Foolishly rolled the dice again during the next sale and it ended exactly the same way. Much like when they ignored the many requests to remove me from their mailing list.

eyeless

i just finished episode one and on the stat screen it said i sided with
larry
when very plainly i did not (
kenny
thanked me and i got text that said
kenny
will remember your loyalty or whatever). googling and finding people who experienced the same thing seems to tell me that in episode two
kenny
will then be pissed at me for not siding with him. obviously this whole game is about choices so if it's going to register opposite choices and play out like that then what is the fucking point. i really don't feel like playing it again so this sucks, but if there is a way to make sure it registers my actual choice i'd really like to know. i never imagined there would be unpatched bugs when this came out in april. anyone experience this bug or have any solution?

Top Bottom