• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatena + Nintendo Questions and Clues

We had a lot of information come out but a lot is still missing and people are complaining about the lack of Hype. Mostly because websites are not allowed access to these Online Services for previews just yet.

Personally I feel really good about MiiVerse and all we learned about Hatena's involvement.
hatena.png

So much have come out and yet many little clues go unseen because they are not posted on some gaming website. The fun NEOGAF use to have discovering things seem missing because maybe we don't have that Nintendo Community OT. My point is just because Nintendo have been silent it does not mean they have shown us nothing. There are plenty of ways to see how this will all come together on the 18th.

Hatena's services may give us many of the missing links for MiiVerse going back and looking at what the company have done in the past can help us see what is possible in the next few years on Wii U. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatena_(company)

WaraWara Plaza video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZIpfOEb_80

few clues I got from watching this video over and over.
mvfam.png

- when it first loads the the Miis you see are the ones on your system as it loads some more other Miis walk in and take position under the game they last talked about or played.
mvfam2.png

- WaraWara Floor Texture is very similar to the pattern on the Hatena logo http://www.hatena.com

- Iwata Mii and Reggie's Mii are there when the camera zooms in.
mvvip.png

During the Iwata Asks Miiverse part 2 one of the Hatena guys talked about Iwata being someone who would have a million followers on MiiVerse and what they need to do to keep the service from crashing when one person has so many followers.
mvnd.png

Could this be a clue that Nintendo Employees/VIPs will be found on Miiverse to follow?

mvstomp.png

- Mii Animation and murmurs... When you post a message on the MiiVerse you can select an emotion for your Mii to reflect your feelings during that post.
tumblr_m52i2umzGi1qzpbds.jpg

My Avatar is one of those selectable smilies. I think the Animation with the Anger/Frustration Foot Stomping is connected to that message's emotion. Iwata's Mii had a little dance animation with his message. So selection in the image above affects your Mii's animation in WaraWara Plaza is what I am guessing.

hatena2.png

Hatena ID

hatena3.png

Hatena ID: Could how this ID works online be a clue to how Nintendo Network ID work.
here register for one yourself https://www.hatena.com/register
I had one for years but here is what I wonder about ( Check if this ID is available )

The reason I ask this is the post-launch plan to launch MiiVerse on PC/Smartphones.
It could be the same foundation to what Hatena as company already worked on and just adding more of what Nintendo's needs are for the Wii U.

clues from Iwata Asks
part 1
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/miiverse/0/0
part 2
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/miiverse2/0/0

- Parental Control works seamlessly with MiiVerse
- Nintendo + Hatena relationship
- Miiverse Development really starts at Launch of Wii U

Kondo: We say that development starts after release. (laughs) It's like after we're done giving shape to an original concept, that's when it really begins.

Iwata: But with network services the fight starts after release, so the real development has yet to begin.

Kondo: Right. After the service starts. (laughs)

Kurisu: Sure. After release, we eventually plan to make Miiverse accessible by PC and smartphone. While you're out, you'll be able to check what games you've played at home and set times for playing with your friends, so I hope that will spread.

Iwata: You won't only think about video games when you're in the living room. It's often said that smartphones are a rival to gaming devices, but I think there's a way they can be friends instead of rivals. This is an attempt in that direction.

Kurisu: Yeah. Hatena's main business has been making services for PC and smartphone sites, so I hope that we will be able to make use of Hatena's true strength as Miiverse spreads.

with all that they can add to this service I would want an upgrade, Flipnote Studio HD?

Have you spotted something you can share with us?

Have you used Flipnote Hatena / Flipnote Studio? http://flipnote.hatena.com

ELMO KNOWS

D-e-f-

Banned
Good thread, there's a lot of stuff you can pick up from watching the videos and comparing it against the info from the Iwata Asks.

vareon

- Miiverse Development really starts at Launch of Wii U

The wording (and the interview, actually) might mislead some people I think. Given that Miiverse is a service, of course most of the hard work begins after the service is launched, including changes major or minor. That's what I get from the interview.

took me a few hours to get the screen caps - sorry if the files are large may change them to jpegs when I wake up later.

The wording (and the interview, actually) might mislead some people I think. Given that Miiverse is a service, of course most of the hard work begins after the service is launched, including changes major or minor. That's what I get from the interview.

That is what I get from it as well. But people may start thinking negatively as if what we get at launch is what we will be stuck with. We see no talk about "Accomplishments" I see a service and a company that can easily add those kinds of features as more developers understand how to use MiiVerse with games.

The fact that Nintendo seem to have kept development in-house with Hatena alone and not really giving 3rd Parties much of a jump start by allowing them more access to tie Miiverse inside their games is what makes that statement more true for me. 3rd parties won't really have access to this until after this launch.

Erethian

That is what I get from it as well. But people may start thinking negatively as if what we get at launch is what we will be stuck with. We see no talk about "Accomplishments" I see a service and a company that can easily add those kinds of features as more developers understand how to use MiiVerse with games.

The fact that Nintendo seem to have kept development in-house with Hatena alone and not really giving 3rd Parties much of a jump start by allowing them more access to tie Miiverse inside their games is what makes that statement more true for me. 3rd parties won't really have access to this until after this launch.

You can read in the second Iwata Asks on Miiverse that Nintendo consulted with outside developers during development, on what they wanted to see as well as telling them how it would work.

AntMurda

Great analysis but you might be missing some of the key design influences.

Katsura Eguchi and Hisashi Nogami, producer and director of Animal Crossing series involved. The director of Animal Crossing, Hisashi Nogami, could not direct New Leaf because he was so involved working on WaraWara Plaza.

Kiyoshi Mizuki and other members of the Network Business Department of Nintendo took lead design. Mizuki was in charge of the 3DS friends list most recently and Nintendo Zone.

Additionally. WiNoMa.co.ltd who was renamed Nintendo network service co., ltd were heavily involved according to Iwata.

Then add Hatena and Denuysha.

A lot of influences to consider.

Pociask

I was glad to see Nintendo work with someone who already had expertise in this area. This may be coming from my American-centric view, but I was surprised to not see them work with a Facebook or a Google - even bring in a bunch of ex-Myspace dudes - someone that has a lot of experience hosting a global social network already. I don't know anything about Hatena, but looking at their Wikipedia page, they don't seem to offer anything comparable to those experiences (again, I'm not very familiar with their service, this could be totally wrong - the biggest thing they seem to have is a bookmark sharing service, which doesn't seem to match up). Clearly the guys who work at Hatena though know what features people expect - basic things like notifications and a like/yeah button, for example, which they suggested to Nintendo, and Twitter style following.

It looks like Nintendo is doing a lot right with Miiverse, and I am trying to keep an open mind about it. It's personally difficult for me, because a) I don't like Mii's, and b) I really don't like Twitter. Hopefully it will be awesome still.

You can read in the second Iwata Asks on Miiverse that Nintendo consulted with outside developers during development, on what they wanted to see as well as telling them how it would work.

Yes I read that but maybe I have been reading too many IdeaMan posts saying his dev sources had no access to coding for MiiVerse. It was good to hear that they got feedback and gave info but it just went against what was being said on this forum.

Great analysis but you might be missing some of the key design influences.

Katsura Eguchi and Hisashi Nogami, producer and director of Animal Crossing series involved. The director of Animal Crossing, Hisashi Nogami, could not direct New Leaf because he was so involved working on WaraWara Plaza.

Kiyoshi Mizuki and other members of the Network Business Department of Nintendo took lead design. Mizuki was in charge of the 3DS friends list most recently and Nintendo Zone.

Additionally. WiNoMa.co.ltd who was renamed Nintendo network service co., ltd were heavily involved according to Iwata.

Then add Hatena and Denuysha.

A lot of influences to consider.

Yup good point! Yeah Animal Crossing Director working on WaraWara Plaza and all of those major guys got me really excited. I just wanted to post focusing on Hatena + Nintendo's relationships and the clues of how they are coming together.

I would like to find out a lot more about Denuysha as well.

Also it would be interesting to know more about who is behind Nintendo TVii in the West. So many companies involved putting this whole platform together.

Going back to Animal Crossing I can't remember if this is the first time Miis have voices (murmurs). I wonder what else that connection could mean for WaraWara Plaza. Maybe the ground texture can be changed customized. Day Night Seasons? :) we can dream.

Wii U Animal Crossing + MiiVerse drools >_<

M3d10n

I was glad to see Nintendo work with someone who already had expertise in this area. This may be coming from my American-centric view, but I was surprised to not see them work with a Facebook or a Google - even bring in a bunch of ex-Myspace dudes - someone that has a lot of experience hosting a global social network already. I don't know anything about Hatena, but looking at their Wikipedia page, they don't seem to offer anything comparable to those experiences (again, I'm not very familiar with their service, this could be totally wrong - the biggest thing they seem to have is a bookmark sharing service, which doesn't seem to match up). Clearly the guys who work at Hatena though know what features people expect - basic things like notifications and a like/yeah button, for example, which they suggested to Nintendo, and Twitter style following.

It looks like Nintendo is doing a lot right with Miiverse, and I am trying to keep an open mind about it. It's personally difficult for me, because a) I don't like Mii's, and b) I really don't like Twitter. Hopefully it will be awesome still.

Google and Facebook would never build a service for Nintendo: they would just tell them to use/license their existing ones, which would put the entire Nintendo Network at the mercy of those services and whatever paths their owners decide to take. A policy change or some API being put to pasture could mess up the entire service.

Also, it's much easier for a Japanese company to make such partnership with another Japanese company.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Yes I read that but maybe I have been reading too many IdeaMan posts saying his dev sources had no access to coding for MiiVerse. It was good to hear that they got feedback and gave info but it just went against what was being said on this forum.

Yep it's a fact, they didn't have access to Miiverse to integrate it on their games. Now, i don't know for every studios, but it's unlikely my sources wouldn't have access but others third-party yes (and in addition, a lot of these things are pushed from Nintendo to developers at roughly the same time). However, it doesn't exclude the strong possibility yes that Nintendo consulted them to design this feature.

But as explained, it's just for full integration inside 3rd party games. The Miiverse functions that we've seen on the Nintendo Direct are managed outside of games, from the service, so no problem to access those by switching from ZombiU to the dashboard for example.

Great thread btw. And i'm amazed by this service, it's a killer-app. I hope i'll be able to create an avatar with a light-bulb on his chest to share a tons of notes related to game & food :p

Yep it's a fact, they didn't have access to Miiverse to integrate it on their games. Now, i don't know for every studios, but it's unlikely my sources wouldn't have access or others third-party yes (and in addition, a lot of these things are pushed from Nintendo to developers at the same time). However, it doesn't exclude the strong possibility yes that Nintendo consulted them to design this feature.

But as explained, it's just for full integration inside 3rd party games. The Miiverse functions that we've seen on the Nintendo Direct are managed outside of games, from the service, so no problem to access those by switching from ZombiU to the dashboard for example.

Great thread btw. And i'm amazed by this service, it's a killer-app. I hope i'll be able to create an avatar with a light-bulb on his chest to share a tons of notes related to game & food :p

I believe you, wiki says Hatena has 71 employees it sounds like they had an even smaller team when they talked about coding inside an apartment. I really doubt they reached out to everyone. But Yes man I cannot wait for the games that use it internally. RPGs with MiiVerse or MMOs!

Reggie has a Mii?

the first to 10 Million Followers Wins

watershed

Banned
Flipnote was the killer app of the dsi. I was worried about the design of miiverse before but knowing the Hatena guys made it helps calm my fears of a crappy interface with the typically obtuse Nintendo choices.

I knew this well done thread would get hardly any replies.

The OS is full of potential and promise.

It's an evolution of the past ones but with a lot broader and more immediate interactivity.

People can spew "outdated" for system specs but I don't know how anyone with a straight face could say much of the focus of this is years too late.

Pociask

Google and Facebook would never build a service for Nintendo: they would just tell them to use/license their existing ones, which would put the entire Nintendo Network at the mercy of those services and whatever paths their owners decide to take. A policy change or some API being put to pasture could mess up the entire service.

Also, it's much easier for a Japanese company to make such partnership with another Japanese company.

Of course I didn't say that they would just build a service for Nintendo, but that Nintendo would work with those companies. The hypothetical problems of Nintendo being at the tender mercy of another company is completely overblown - we're talking about gigantic, sophisticated companies (at one point, Nintendo was the largest company in Japan by market-cap, I believe) that have legal departments which can craft very detailed contracts.

Of course it is easier for a Japanese company to make such a partnership with another Japanese company - that goes without saying. However, Nintendo is not in a Japanese business - it is launching a platform in three different continents, and Japan was last I saw the smallest of the three markets (compared to NA and EU). Their duty (to their customers and their shareholders) is to make the best product that will maximize revenue, not the thing they can slap together the easiest.

As I said above, I could be severely underestimating the abilities of the company they did partner with, because I don't know much about them. But on the other hand, they're trying to launch a social service to be used by up to 100 million people (assuming lifetime Wii sales, only one user account per system). Facebook right now is pushing one billion active users. Twitter apparently has 170 million active users. Myspace peaked at less than 100 million users (I doubt any of the engineers who built it to that level are even still around), and Google+ has over 100 million active users (their search page apparently has over a billion unique users).

I couldn't find an active user number for Hatena, but from http://en.flipnote.hatena.com/guide/hatena, this says they have one million registered users. While hopeful, I don't think there's any reason to be optimistic about their capability to deliver on a service so large to the expectations of a world-wide audience. I'm getting vibes of the Wii launch and the services that came with it - the adequate Opera (but not adequately updated) web browser, the news service that was kind of cool but not as good as it could/should have been, the weather service that was never good enough. Those all came from Nintendo failing to partner with a company that could deliver to consumer expectations. Maybe this time will be different. I hope so!

Top Bottom