• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOPS 2 multiplayer: only 560 people on WiiU, 640,000 on 360.

Kotaku started the story, twitter had some extra numbers (below)

WiiU*: 512 multiplayer, 42 zombies.
PC: 12,670 current multiplayer. 64,015 peak multiplayer. 1,868 zombies current. 9.716 peak zombies.
PS3: 570,000 multiplayer. 115,000 zombies.
360: 641,000 multiplayer. 800,000 on launch day.

On Vita...
There are no numbers listed in the game. There are a few modes with online leaderboards. Lowest ive been ranked is 50k. This is hardly scientific though.
Begs the question if Activision: Will bother to support this game with map packs if the community is struggling to hit critical mass?
*WiiU has only launched in North America. Other versions are worldwide.

xlarge.png

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
how about you wait more than a day and a half to see how a multiplayer community is shaping up?

I understand people are rushing to get in on this "the WiiU launch is a disaster!" narrative, but come on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is it really much of a financial investment for them to just port over whatever DLC they're doing?

weepy

Well...kind of expected for a game console that was only released a day ago. And exactly how many people is needed in order to reach critical mass?

Rubius

Dont forget that the console is only 3 days old. Also, kids dont have money, and teenagers and young adult dont have the luxury of having all the console they want.

And "Nintendo is for babies" is a stigma that males have a problem going over some times.

Lingitiz

Not really surprised on the Wii U traffic. I don't think Activision will even bother with the DLC but it is kinda early I suppose.

I've always been surprised at the PC population for the COD games. They don't really seem to command a huge playerbase, dropping to the low thousands a month or two after.

Is it really much of a financial investment for them to just port over whatever DLC they're doing?
Wasn't there some story that Nintendo doesn't pay out unless at least 6,000 people buy your content?
New console has way less people, no way
Zelda had a near 1:1 attach ratio. I mean sure BLOPS isn't Zelda but Activision probably have quite high expectations for the title.
I've always been surprised at the PC population for the COD games. They don't really seem to command a huge playerbase, dropping to the low thousands a month or two after.
26,120 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - Multiplayer
peak today. It's not so bad.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PC: 12,670 current. 64,015 peak today. Includes campaign.

There aren't many people in campaign or zombies, but these are actually all separate executables:

12,736 64,015 Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Multiplayer
3,299 15,244 Call of Duty: Black Ops II
1,888 9,716 Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Zombies

antonz

You have
1. New Console that hasn't even sold 560k yet in all likelihood.
2. New Console with lots of new games to play.
3. Lots of new games to play.

I own BLOPSII and I haven't even touched it yet because ZombiU etc. is fanfuckingtastic and has my attention.

Wasn't there some story that Nintendo doesn't pay out unless at least 6,000 people buy your content?

Old Wii Shop Nintendo was pretty assholish.

Wii U/3DS E-Shop Nintendo is near godlike

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Kotaku started the story, twitter had some extra numbers (below)

WiiU: 512 multiplayer, 42 zombies.
PC: 12,670 current. 64,015 peak today. Includes campaign.
PS3: 570,000 multiplayer. 115,000 zombies.
360: 641,000 multiplayer. 800,000 on launch day.

Begs the question if Activision: Will bother to support this game with map packs if the community is struggling to hit critical mass?

xlarge.png

Not very impressive numbers, I admit. Goes hand-in-hand with reports from UK that Black Ops 2 failed to hit Black Ops 1, MW3 and even MW2's opening week numbers. So does this mean the franchise has now plateaued?

If so, shame it's with Black Ops 2. I mean, Treyarch is doing some nice things with the Pick 10 and other stuff.

But overall, the numbers aren't impressive. And isn't there a study that most multiplayer games are populated the most within its first week of release? Heck, they're barely cracking a million now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
There aren't many people in campaign or zombies, but these are actually all separate executables:

dat fact checking

Does this mean that the Wii U is not hardcore enough....or not casual enough?

It means the console has been out for 2 days.

Seik

Banned
Ridiculous, its only been 2 days since the fucking PLATFORM is out...give it a chance ffs Kotaku.

Honestly, now its like people are searching shit where there's none.

pro tip: Xbox360 is out since 6 years.

antonz

I'm a bit surprised honestly.

BF3 was hitting 120-150K a few weeks after launch. Didn't check prior.

I think COD finally hit that plateau. Will still be incredibly frontloaded to make sales headlines and such but I expect the golden days are fading away

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The overall numbers look kinda low in the first place.

Concurrency tends to be a lot lower than sales.

This is why when something like League of Legends reports 3 million concurrent users, that usually means some ultra astronomical number of people are playing the game overall.

batbeg

There were 56 people on this morning about 5am, so my hours kind of suck for this. Haven't had any trouble getting into games though.

This article really frustrates me. Can they wait more than a day and a half of the console being released to make judgment calls on this sort of thing?

The port is really good for Wii U, but the install base is low. Even people who were getting a Wii U might have gotten it for other consoles because that's where their friends are or just because it came out half a week earlier.

It's annoying because it'd be a shame if someone read this and decided the community wasn't going to support the game. And then these things can be a self fulfilling prophecy.

I can tell you that I haven't had a problem getting into a match at all, and the Miiverse looks to be the fourth most popular game behind Mario, Nintendo Land, and Zombi U (if the Plaza is proportional to popularity).

Just noticed myself and fixed.

pswii60

Not surprised by this at all.

- Wii U not yet launched worldwide
- Wii U released only for two days
- BLOPS not in Wii U's target demographic
- Most people interested in BLOPS will have 360/PS3
- Many Wii U's will have been purchased as (unopened) Christmas presents
- Why get BLOPS when you can have Mario!

If anything I'm surprised anyone has bought BLOPS for Wii U at all. What surprises me more is the low PC figures tbh. Although I suppose the competition for that genre is tougher on that platform.

prwxv3

No shit they were going to be low. Anyone expecting 360 level numbers for BO2 just after the launch of the WiiU were crazy. And as said above the WiiU has not launched everywhere.

Top Bottom