• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOPS 2 multiplayer: only 560 people on WiiU, 640,000 on 360.

I remember reading somewhere that half of CoD users only play the single-player, not even touching multi. So around 10k total you think?

There is a slight possibility. But we also need to keep in mind that Wii U is ONLY out in NA at the moment. "560" is not concrete evidence to start worrying about the Wii U.

andthebeatgoeson

Not sure why that'd matter as any existing Live user would've still needed to purchase a new console (360) in order to play Call of Duty 2 and Perfect Dark Zero online. Same situation as the WiiU.

I'd argue that the barrier to entry was much higher on the 360 side since XBL is a paid subscription service ($50 per year, now $60), the 360 itself ($400) was already more expensive, and Microsoft also charged a ridiculous $100 for the WiFi adapter those first few years.
Mostly just pointing out MS had an 1st mover advantage in the console arena. The made the first widespread online service that was seen as a viable service, and fundamental service for all of it's consumers.

Isn't this the start? 360 had live before it. You are just looking at Nintendo 8 years late and after 2 other competitors have had years to work on their online service.
How long is it going to take for them to theoretically catch up? Or will they always be 8 years behind since Sony/Xbox will always look to improve...

You're setting expectations low. You don't expect a brand new cell phone service provider to provide talk without voicemail, data, etc.
No one knows how long. The business can change in a year (wii) or could follow the same patterns. They could repeat the same issues (devs don't gravitate to the U due to hardware issues) or sell 10 million before the holidays 2013 and cause a flood of 3rd party titles that will sell well. They have the differentiation to take the world by storm (2nd screen, free online multiplayer, solid 1st party titles).

As to your analogy, you may be overstating the need for some of these features, I may be understating them. Yet, the console that sold the most last gen had the least multiplayer/online features. We will need more data. And Ninty has proven to have a good to great understanding of what sells well.

jonno394

Did people expect BLOPS 2 to be big on Wii U? For multiplayer, people would just sick with the ps3 and 360 due to them being the established consoles for them. Looking at the sales on launch day, it doesn't seem like people suddenly didn't buy it and waited for the Wii U version.....

Did people expect BLOPS 2 to be big on Wii U? For multiplayer, people would just sick with the ps3 and 360 due to them being the established consoles for them. Looking at the sales on launch day, it doesn't seem like people suddenly didn't buy it and waited for the Wii U version.....

Which is why I always thought launching Wii U after Blops 2 was a dumb idea. People line up for this stuff at midnight.

Interesting about poor pc numbers. And this is on the back of an over extended console generation. Those numbers will plummet even further when the new Microsoft and Sony systems launch. PC RIP?

It would be nice to revisit this idea in say March when WiiU has ~6m userbase and is actually worldwide.

It should be obvious it won't be at PS360 levels simply due to it having less than 1/10th the overall userbase as either of those consoles. But if wiiu is 100k or so, then it should be considered more than successful.

But to compare on a 2.5 day old console with likely <500k systems in the wild and those players are busy with soooo many options right now, that's just asinine. Hell, I only have Nintendoland and BLOPS2 right now and I've only had time for maybe an hour of BLOPS2. Can't imagine what its going be like after tomorrow when ZombiU arrives in the mail or Friday when I get NSMBU and likely a couple digitial games.

While the Xbox, PS3 and Wii numbers were taken at US peak, the Steam numbers, always, and I mean always, reach their peak at European peak time (6-10PM iirc).

At European peak times the Numbers are something like:

PC: 60K
PS3: 500K
Xbox: 550K

PC looking sales far more Euro-centric than the consoles.

Also, Halo 4 numbers seem to be around half the US peak in European peak hours.

Omikron

Interesting about poor pc numbers. And this is on the back of an over extended console generation. Those numbers will plummet even further when the new Microsoft and Sony systems launch. PC RIP?

Football Manager 2013 gets more players than BLOPS. PC doomed indeed.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

Here's an oldie but goodie!

GavinGT

Banned
I bet the number would be 5 times that if the Wii U's wifi didn't require you to go online and figure out how to manually configure that shit. My Wii U is the first device I've had in years that's required me to do that.

Emitan

I bet the number would be 5 times that if the Wii U's wifi didn't require you to go online and figure out how to manually configure that shit. My Wii U is the first device I've had in years that's required me to do that.

It found my wireless network and I put in the WPA2 key. Did you have to do something different?

GavinGT

Banned
It found my wireless network and I put in the WPA2 key. Did you have to do something different?

It saw my network just fine, but couldn't connect to it. I even turned off security completely and it couldn't connect. Then I followed the directions here and it fired right up.

Medalion

Banned
I am eager to point out how paltry the online presence is so far

but ffs, the system is only out for 3 days in North America with shortages and problems

Give it some more time

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Pretty proud of my PC brothers. The multiplayer choices are so vast on PC that Call of Duty is just a blip on the landscape instead of some grand "event." =)

Kujo

As an Australian I need multiplayer games with large populations to have a chance of getting a good connection. Especially with the less popular modes, I can't imagine the numbers for something like Sabotage would be like in the Wii U version.

Agent X

Uhh...his point is that BLOPS2 has already been out for PS360 and people are probably playing games that are exclusive to Wii U right now, not ports of already released titles.

This thread is indicative of absolutely nothing.

Well, I wouldn't say nothing.

I wouldn't expect it to match Xbox 360 or PS3 numbers in just two days, or even come close to it. That's simply unrealistic. Despite that, I bet these numbers are still a great deal lower than most people expected.

Yeah, to make this article after the console's been out for two days is just stirring the pot. Especially when there's many launch games to choose from already and the 360/PS3 versions launched a few days prior. I can't imagine most COD players waiting for this version, especially when all their friends are on consoles that have amazing user bases already.

You're right that most people probably prefer to play on Xbox 360 or PS3, with their friends that are already online on those systems. But those people have lots of other games to choose from, too. You have to wonder what strategy Nintendo can take to attract large numbers of online users to their system.

Here's a question for you. What would you propose that Nintendo should do to overcome this disadvantage? Should they pursue ports of the "same old, same old" games that are the staples of Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 online gaming, with mild improvements at best? Or should they draw up exciting new online games with innovative features that Xbox Live and PlayStation Network don't offer?

Let's put this hypothetical situation out there: Xbox 3 comes out November 15, 2013. One of its launch titles is Call of Duty 10--a game that also released a week earlier for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii U. Do you think Microsoft would have much difficulty convincing 10,000 people to jump online with the Xbox 3 version of CoD10 on launch day? How about 50,000 people?

Nintendo's past track record of lagging behind (and I mean far behind) Microsoft and Sony with regard to online features may be working against them now. A mere 560 people playing online is showing a demonstrable lack of confidence in Nintendo's vision of online gaming...especially considering we're talking about the newest game in one of the hottest video game franchises of the last decade. We're also talking about the newest (and purportedly the most powerful) video game console on the planet...why wouldn't you want to make the jump?

Mechazawa

So there are still tons of PC players who play, let's say, Assassin's Creed brotherhood?

Somehow I have my doubts.

If you play during the weekend, you can absolutely find matches in Brotherhood.

But that notion that PC games tend to live longer or whatever that guy was talking about is hilarious. Multiplayer PC games that aren't from big franchises(like Lead and Gold or Shattered Horizon) got chewed up and spit out immediately.

Concept17

Comparing steam numbers for shooters is kinda pointless. CS and TF2 have their crowd, and always will, and few of them care for CoD.

Shooters on PC are also much more difficult for most.

Also, LoL > everything on every platformed combined.

netBuff

But that notion that PC games tend to live longer or whatever that guy was talking about is hilarious. Multiplayer PC games that aren't from big franchises(like Lead and Gold or Shattered Horizon) got chewed up and spit out immediately.

I don't think it's so hilarious. Even big franchise titles tend to have very short-lived multiplayer communities on consoles - on PC, a great many of very old games still have active servers with a very loyal player base. This is something I immediately noticed when I got into console multiplayer more and is likely a facet of peer-to-peer matchmaking as well as the lack of text chat and other server features that facilitate the formation of more tight-knit groups among strangers.

Nome

Really?

More like "This is when PC gamers begin to realize why they stopped playing console games as everyone and their mother is playing COD and COD only, while other games have less than 10 people in a server. I rather fire up any game that I own and still have a great group of players than being forced to play COD cause it's the new shoot/slice you up shiznit"

(this coming from multiplatform gamer)
I was more referring to how PC gamers tend to still expect perfect ports of multi-plats, when the reality is that most publishers barely benefit from PC ports and we're lucky to get ports at all.

I'm well aware of the nuances of PC-centric development :)
If you play during the weekend, you can absolutely find matches in Brotherhood.

Yep, and this makes me intensely sad. It's also why I continue to pre-order and buy PC games at launch. I have some disposable income... I'd rather go blind into a thriving community (and risk a crappy game) than come in two months late to a great game with a dead community.

Small update...there were around 712 on last night. The highest I've seen it, so its getting into people hands at least. Leaderboards were around 6208 (if I recall correctly).
EDIT: Just did a quick check, and the leaderboards say 7518

Small update...there were around 712 on last night. The highest I've seen it, so its getting into people hands at least. Leaderboards were around 6208 (if I recall correctly).
EDIT: Just did a quick check, and the leaderboards say 7518

Yeah, it's going up thankfully. Love it on Wii U. I just want to be able to play a couple of more game modes. Hope Activision makes good on the 2025 Nuketown DLC too.

Top Bottom