• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOPS 2 multiplayer: only 560 people on WiiU, 640,000 on 360.

On the Giant Bomb stream on Sunday, Madden was like 25 people.

I don't think Mass Effect 3 lists numbers unfortunately.
In order to list numbers people have to be playing

tumblr_m844o9nzXl1rwnqzqo1_500.gif

Oddduck

So you would say under 600 people is a success and not cause for concern?

My only concern is for people who don't have the brains to understand install bases and demographics. Again, you're comparing a system that's been out for 2 days to systems that have been out for 6 to 7 years. No shit those systems will have bigger communities.

It's also laughable since Wii U hasn't even launched in other territories like Europe.

The whole thing is silly.

Sandfox

You can't judge Blops Wii U until its first Christmas.

I honestly would just not compare it to the other numbers at all. Its not going to have the install base the other consoles have nor will it be able to steal away the people already playing on another console.

I'm sure Activision is/will be making a profit off the game and that's all they care about.

Kazerei

Banned
360 used to be more dominant iirc. PS3 has eaten up some of those people over those years.

Completely anecdotal, but I do know a few people who jumped from playing online multi games on 360 to PS3. The cost of an XBL Gold membership is a big turn-off.

On the other hand the console is sold out everywhere and CoD is a massive franchise. I don't think many people would have expected numbers thus low. Certainly not 360 numbers, but 560?
The majority of people who would want to play COD specifically probably have a PS3 or 360 already.

If you're buying a Wii U today it's for Mario or ZombiU or something.

shira

Kotaku started the story, twitter had some extra numbers (below)

WiiU: 512 multiplayer, 42 zombies.

Seems about right to me.
Why would a wiiU owner pick up COD??
Either a family or refined gamer(too refined for online multiplayer to get owned by 12 year olds)

Why would a COD player pick up a wiiU???
Already on 360.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Seems about right to me.
Either a family or refined gamer(too refined for online multiplayer to get owned by 12 year olds)

Already on 360.

Same reason Wii owners bought CoD?

mr stroke

Not surprised by the pc numbers. It hasn't been a pc game for years. But the PC cod community is always steady and dedicated. You can still find games for BLOPS 1 on steam. And people will be playing BLOPS 2 on steam for years.

Are you telling me that a new console that just came out two days ago has way less people playing a multiplayer game than the 360 and PS3?

Truly this is a cause for concern.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Halo 4 didn't seem to crack 500k before BLOPS 2 release.

Only 77k playing now!

http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/intel/playlists

That tweet from Black Ops was at 5:40PM PST. Halo 4 has broken the record of most concurrent players on any Halo game ever. In the afternoons it circles around 400k easily, there are about 10 MP playlists and they average at 30k and that isn't counting single players or Spartan Ops.

madmackem

Seems about right to me.

Already on 360.

Im getting it on wiiu despite owning it on 360 too.

Haunted

Not surprised by the pc numbers. It hasn't been a pc game for years. But the PC cod community is always steady and dedicated. You can still find games for BLOPS 1 on steam. And people will be playing BLOPS 2 on steam for years.
Looking at the Steam numbers, MW2 is above Blops and MW3 right now.

MormaPope

Banned
So you would say under 600 people is a success and not cause for concern?

It's sorta shitty how defensive people got. This isn't really about Nintendo as much it's about how Activision might just say fuck it to ever letting it's developers put any effort into ports or original projects for the Wii-U.

But these really numbers could be result to the low amount of stock for the launch, having those numbers would shed better light on how relative these CoD Wii-U numbers are.

FyreWulff

It's sorta shitty how defensive people got. This isn't really about Nintendo as much it's about how Activision might just say fuck it to ever letting it's developers put any effort into ports or original projects for the Wii-U.

But these really numbers could be result to the low amount of stock for the launch, having those numbers would shed better light on how relative these CoD Wii-U numbers are.

Activision ports to everything they can.

It's a new console out for a couple of days after the initial sales push of the game that had like 3 months heads up that the version actually existed. The population it has sounds about right.

The real judge is when the next CoD comes out, has been advertised for all consoles properly including Wii U, and the Wii U version comes out day and date with the other versions.

HardRojo

I'd wait for at least a week before calling anything, not saying 560 is a good indication of how things will go though.

I remember the xmas after MW2's PC release, around 200,000 people online at the same time, never seen any other COD afterwards reach those figures on PC.

Top Bottom