• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any talented photoshop gurus / visual artists out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truant

Update: Use this photo if you want to try: http://i.imgur.com/6YcBE.jpg

Hi,

My band recently took some photos, mainly for our Facebook page, but also as promotional shots.

We were really into the concept of polygonal art, prismic shapes and whatnot. The idea was that our photographer was going to manipulate the photos to emulate polygonal art. However, he's lacking the skills to do so, so we're looking into having someone else do the actual retouching.

We'll pay for your services if you can do a proof of concept on one of the photos that we like.

Let me know if you're interested in working with us. Like I said, we'll pay you and you'll get full credit and some exposition for your work.

We really dig this kind of stuff, although perhaps not as extreme as some of the examples:

Juliia-Oh-by-D-E-L-O.jpg

Polygons-by-Dave-Murray-2.jpg

fox.jpg

The POLY app for iPad gives a similar result, but it looks kinda cheap. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/11/16/poly/
http://jonathanpuckey.com/projects/delaunay-raster/

Use this image of our singer. I can provide higher res stuff for the real deal.

http://i.imgur.com/6YcBE.jpg

eso76

just started working on it, let me know if this is more or less what you were looking for

picpzikn.png

it's not very accurate and needs work, but like i said i just started and wanted to know if i'm on the right track

Truant

just started working on it, let me know if this is more or less what you were looking for

picpzikn.png

it's not very accurate and needs work, but like i said i just started and wanted to know if i'm on the right track

Looks good, dude! However, we need polygons, not squares. Triangles :)

eso76

Looks good, dude! However, we need polygons, not squares. Triangles :)

Duh ! squares ARE polygons ! that's more or less how i would model a polygonal face, but if you want triangles, then so be it !

Now there is a difference between the samples you posted though; the first one does look like a polygonal mesh of a face, the other 2 are quite different, with triangles not necessarily being aligned to a hypotetical polygonal mesh.

Which one is closer to your idea ?

Truant

Duh ! squares ARE polygons ! that's more or less how i would model a polygonal face, but if you want triangles, then so be it !

Now there is a difference between the samples you posted though; the first one does look like a polygonal mesh of a face, the other 2 are quite different, with triangles not necessarily being aligned to a hypotetical polygonal mesh.

Which one is closer to your idea ?

I like the detail in the triangles of the black/white woman, the first picture, and I like the stark colours of the fox picture. Both have that nice matte-yet-crystalline quality to them. Almost transparent.

eso76

now forget about the triangles (i can divide the squares later). Working with vectors so it's easy to just move vert. around.
I was trying to obtain the desired effect. Used a cheap grain filter, but that's temporary.

backcopyuro87.png

HTuran

Made these a while ago, is this the style you're after?

AlfHmoSCIAA0oOp.png
AlfHiAaCIAAyylU.png

Apparently there used to be a plugin for Illustrator that did this, but I couldn't find it. Called delaunay triangulation or something similar?

Would love to help more, but super busy at the moment!

Truant

now forget about the triangles (i can divide the squares later). Working with vectors so it's easy to just move vert. around.
I was trying to obtain the desired effect. Used a cheap grain filter, but that's temporary.

backcopyuro87.pg

Yes, you're definitely on to something here. Hair could be difficult, but it looks like you focused on the face first?

Made these a while ago, is this the style you're after?

AlfHmoSCIAA0oOp.png
AlfHiAaCIAAyylU.ng

Apparently there used to be a plugin for Illustrator that did this, but I couldn't find it. Called delaunay triangulation or something similar?

Would love to help more, but super busy at the moment!

Yeah, that's awesome!

eso76

Yes, you're definitely on to something here. Hair could be difficult, but it looks like you focused on the face first?

no, not too difficult in fact.
focused on the face because it was just more fun to do :)

i don't really have a lot of time to go on right now though

Truant

no, not too difficult in fact.
focused on the face because it was just more fun to do :)

i don't really have a lot of time to go on right now though

Alright, I understand. I really appreciate the effort so far, though. Good stuff :)

This is nice, but I'd guess he'd want some of the triangles to be bigger.

I had never tried that technique before but I tried with different sized triangles and I noticed the bigger the triangles they most detail I lost, and since the face is the most important part of the portrait I thought I'd do the face detailed and the rest with bigger triangles, but its time consuming so I just did the face.

soqquatto

It's not difficult to use the polygon lasso, if that's what you're implying.

"it's not difficult to use the polygon lasso" is exactly my point. if you can nail the feel of the shapes and get the correct colors in the correct places, you can already draw because you already "see" the image and the tutorial doesn't add a thing. if you can't draw and thus you cannot "see" the image, that tutorial is completely worthless. it's a lose-lose scenario.

late edit: you can obtain the very same result with some handy tools.

vector version
http://www.filedropper.com/vectordude

jpg preview
IvEpM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom